1dx mark ii, 4k 60fps?

BrorSvensson

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Everyone and their mom have been screaming about 4k 60fps in a DSLR as long as 4K has been available. And when its here the codec is wrong..

Its at least a tiny bit funny imo :)

The reason is probably the same as always. Heat.

To shoot the 4K 422 the XC10 has a fan. And thats on a 1". I doubt many still photogs would want that. And by looking at the latest sales reports they are still the once in control. Canon still was at the top and I bet they want to stay there.

Personally I would just dump the 4K if I wanted the framerates that badly. HD upscale is still on par with 4K on youtube etc. TV is still 720p. Bla bla bla we know this already.

But it is true. 4K still is where 6K is today. Nice but not need.

You're right Mattias.... Always something to cry about.

If it turns out to be true that the new cam has 4K/60p with an image quality potentially quite alot better than the 1DC, then transcoding the codec is a tiny price to pay, if that codec choice is what allows 4K/60p to be possible.

Dual pixel AF for video... That is great... Can't wait to see footage

You're right Mattias.... Always something to cry about.

If it turns out to be true that the new cam has 4K/60p with an image quality potentially quite alot better than the 1DC, then transcoding the codec is a tiny price to pay, if that codec choice is what allows 4K/60p to be possible.

True. Although...if I'm looking for a 1.5x crop camera with 4K, great color science, slightly weak DR, and excellent slo-mo, I'll probably just pick up an NX1.

Hell, you could save enough money to buy a tripod, lens kit, filters, shoulder rig, external recorder, lighting kit, and a new editing computer. 

With so many great options available, what does the 1DX II bring to the table that isn't offered elsewhere? What niche does it fill? What need does it satisfy?

Food for thought.

• Super Members

A massive crop is of course a potential let down.

But I totally agree about the transcoding. Back in my early days of Raw I always transcoded. And I usually do it straight from the card, never copy to the hard drive to save space.
In fact, with SSDs, SD Extreme and Cfast I always edit straight from the card (Unless its super important footage).

True. Although...if I'm looking for a 1.5x crop camera with 4K, great color science, slightly weak DR, and excellent slo-mo, I'll probably just pick up an NX1.

Hell, you could save enough money to buy a tripod, lens kit, filters, shoulder rig, external recorder, lighting kit, and a new editing computer. 

With so many great options available, what does the 1DX II bring to the table that isn't offered elsewhere? What niche does it fill? What need does it satisfy?

Food for thought.

Stills, that's it. Its a top notch stills camera. That's 97% of its purpose.

If it turns out to be true that the new cam has 4K/60p with an image quality potentially quite alot better than the 1DC... Can't wait to see footage

oh me too. the whole is more than the sum of its parts

100% tru lol

Sorry, should've clarified: What does it offer to our demographic-- video shooters?

I think most of us understand that cameras like the 1DX II, D5, and D500 aren't designed with us in mind. They're for pro wildlife, sports, and event shooters, with video as a bonus feature. 

I strongly believe that 4K 60fps will be a video standard for decades, which makes this the first photo camera I might keep forever.  Of course being mirrorless would make it better, but it might take years from now on until mirrorless cameras can shoot 170fps raw photos and 4k 60fps because of physical limitations.   Canon and Nikon should simply release the same body formats with the same old mounts, but inside without the mirror and an EVF. 

Of course Canon wants to make as much money as money, which means people should buy as many expensive cameras as possible.  This is why i predicted the 1DX2 will not have focus peaking or CLog.  This way the C300II users might buy the 1DX2 for 4k 60fps, and the 1DX2 users still need a C300II for certain jobs.  It's also likely now that Canon will keep the 5D4 1080p and release another 5DC with 4K, so you can get all you want - but of course not all in one body.

• Super Members

800 mbps, wow.  10 min on a 64gb56af19e83ef8d_Skarmavbild_2016-02-01_kl.

Wow, that's not bad at all. My BMPC got 12min in 25p on 240GB so that's not bad at all..

Sorry, should've clarified: What does it offer to our demographic-- video shooters?

I think most of us understand that cameras like the 1DX II, D5, and D500 aren't designed with us in mind. They're for pro wildlife, sports, and event shooters, with video as a bonus feature. 

Well, you answered it yourself. Its not for video shooters. It could be if you must have 4K 60fps in a small package, but as you say, its a bonus.

We wont know for a few more days, probably.... Dual pixel AF is a big one... If you haven't used a CXXX cam, you will be amazed.

It is rumoured to have C300 II levels of DR... If it has C-log and 4:2:2, then we could be looking at 13+stops in video mode at 4K/60p 1080/120p... Of course, with Canon colour.

My interest levels are very high... I like to shoot with small cameras.

What for $6k? From Canon? I doubt it

It probably doesn't even have peaking :)

Honestly guys I would not expect a professional video codec on this camera... it will be small file sizes all the way. It isn't a Cinema EOS camera, it is designed for news crews, paparazzi and sports photographers to WeTransfer MOV clips to hacks.

Well, MJPEG, as I predicted since it was rumored to have Digic 6 processors.

Guess they didn't have the Digic 7 processors ready in time when they locked the design.

mjpeg.... in 2016?!????

...REALLY????

like..... WHAT???!

i seriously thought that the 1dc would be the first and last canon body to shoot 4k mjpeg wth

It is the only way they could do 4K with the older processor technology they used. I guess they did not get the tech in the DV5 transferred to the 7 in time. That means that Canon are about two years behind Sony/Panasonic/Samsung processor technology.

The reason is probably the same as always. Heat.

No. The reason is that the processors they are using do not have 4K capable encoders in them. The Digic DV5 does, and presumably the Digic 7 will as well, but the Digic 6 does not. But I am guessing that the 7 wasn't ready in time so they had to use the old MJPEG software workabout.

I think the question is if it records on both CF and Cfast or only on Cfast in 4K. Because if it only records 4K on Cfast event shooters are screwed. We normally record with two Gh4's about 500 Giga per wedding at 100 Mb/sec, this will translate in a minimum of 2,5 Terra bytes of data for 1Dx mk 2 in 30p or 5 Terra in 60p, 6000$ for Cfast cards at minimum.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

1DxII Video specifications (rock-solid Canon source)

-4K 60p. DCI aspect ratio.

-HD 120p.

-4K is Motion Jpeg, because trials of XFAVC compression resulted in overheating beyond 12min, requires active cooling, a fan, while this only requires the previous 1DC custom heat sink, which is now incorporated into the 1DXII)

-4K 24p is 500mbps 4:2:2 8bit. 

-4K 60p is 800mbps 4:2:2 8bit

-HD 24-120p is normal All-I h.264 4:2:0 8bit

-Dual-pixel AF with highest yet performance, much higher than all previous implementations including C100/C300 with DPAF upgrade and C100ii, quote ''almost making manual focus unneeded''. Works in 4K mode before & during recording, with accurate face detection, and works with ALL Canon & third-party EF lenses. STM lenses offer further smoothness and total silence (only one available to date is Canon EF 24-105mm STM) 

(they consider DPAF feature the holy grail for video on this model)

-No aliasing or moire is present in 4K & HD video modes. 

-C-Log is not included, only a feature reserved for Canon C-line.

-Full picture style control with a new ''clarity'' setting allowing un-obstructive sharpening, similar to NLE sharpening, with intensity, range control. Cinestyle and other profiles compatible with EOS Utility. 

-Brand new imaging sensor with all-around higher quality, and designed specifically for high speed readout (allowing 4k60p and 16p stills) and higher sensitivity than previous chip (1dc/1dx). (no mention of DR)

-Improved Audio pre-amps quality and addition of a headphone jack for monitoring 

-Uncompressed 4:2:2 8bit HDMI output for recording simultaneously to card and compatible external recorder. (no mention of 4k so likely HD)

-New CFast 2.0 card slot, for 4K MJPEG recording and higher stills buffer (170 raw stills at 16fps in live-view & 14fps in OVF)

-New intelligent Distortion Correction available in video mode for all Canon EF lenses. 

-New 24p native recording mode for use when inter-cutting with negative film footage.

-Built-in customizable intervalometer

-Option for backup small HD mp4 files for instant sharing.

-Improved LCD clarity in use with much improved magnification fn. and overall live-view implementation.

***He did not mention any crop restrictions in video modes so they're probably not there. But not 100%. 4K might be 1.4x 1:1 crop or FF.

(personal note: 1DC is 100% outperformed as a camera but only has the added Canon Log and unlimited recordng beyond 29:59min)

Stills improvements:

-New imaging sensor allows higher resolution, higher sensitivity and overall higher quality (vs 18mp 1dc/1dx)

-Fastest DSLR continuous shooting in the world. 14fps with full AF and 16fps in live-view mode. Cfast 2.0 buffer =170 raw stills. CF buffer = 73. JPEG: infinite

-61 AF points but with increased coverage and remarkable speed and tracking performance

-The only DSLR to use full 61-point AF with f/8 lenses vs 1-point (for tele-converters) (they consider this the holy grail of stills features)

-Intelligent OVF with LCD overlays for AF points, Horizon level, 

-Anti-flicker shooting mode for indoor sports applications

-With full-speed burst and DPAF and improved live-view, the camera is capable of being used as a fully performing mirror-less camera for stills & video recording.

-Highest weather sealing, and best EOS water & dust resistance to date.

-Quieter shutter and dampening mechanism with a separate motor. 

***and more but these are the most prominent

List price 5999$ 

Shipping date: March/April 2016

Canon went full in. 

I just wish they do the same for the 5D IV that I can afford and not cripple the video mode. 

Well, since:

4K video (4096 x 2160) up to 60 fps (59.94), with an 8.8-Megapixel still frame grab**** in camera. Full 1080p HD capture up to 120 fps for slow motion.

The EOS-1D X Mark II is an incredibly capable camera for moviemaking. Thanks to its Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors and its advanced sensor, it can capture huge 4K (Motion JPEG)video at up to 60 fps, recording smoothly to CFast cards. It’s the first EOS camera able to record Full HD video at 120 fps, easily displaying minute details imperceptible to the human eyeand ideal for slow-motion video capture. With the camera’s new touch panel display, AF points can be easily selected while the camera’s rolling, and focus can be quickly confirmed with the EOS-1D X Mark II’s 4K still frame grab feature*, wherein an 8.8-Megapixel still image can be selected for review and saved. Low-light performance is improved as well, with video recording at ISOs of up to 12800 in 4K and 25600 in Full HD.The EOS-1D X Mark II also features uncompressed HDMI output for Full HD videos, helping to facilitate video editing with minimal image degradation. Not to mention, it can also save videos as MP4s for easy playback on mobile devices.

* Saving a still image from a single movie frame does not result in the same image quality as a normal still image.

I am expecting that 1:1 readout crop.