1dx mark ii, 4k 60fps?

BrorSvensson

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There's no 'C' in the name. So be prepared for disappointment!

Fingers crossed though! That would be one mean hybrid cam if it were to be any good. May also leaving you paying a lot for stills features you'll hardly use though. So Indeed, a proper 5DmkIII successor with 4K... that would be something! But remember... I referred to Sony the other day as possibly 'pulling a Canon' should they not give the A6100 the much desired features we've recently seen in cameras such as the RX10M2, RX100M4, A7RII and A7SII... 'you're serious about video? Pay serious for serious video'. I feel like that's a thing over at Canon. 4K video on the 1DXII might be focused towards some kind of 4K Photo Mode. Possibly without including 24p and things like C-Log, since it's a camera focused on serious stills, not serious video.

- Could have recording times of max. 3 minutes and shoot cropped by 'pulling a Nikon' too of course...

Digicame only releases details a few days before announcement and has a very good track record of reliability.

They just posted some additional details.  I wonder what time limits these have.

• Video 4K 60fps. Full HD120fps, 4K video can be recorded in internal CFast2.0 media

Cfast implementation seems like a very smart move seeing that the canon xc10 and c300 mark ii uses them.

There's no 'C' in the name. So be prepared for disappointment!

Fingers crossed though! That would be one mean hybrid cam if it were to be any good. May also leaving you paying a lot for stills features you'll hardly use though. So Indeed, a proper 5DmkIII successor with 4K... that would be something! But remember... I referred to Sony the other day as possibly 'pulling a Canon' should they not give the A6100 the much desired features we've recently seen in cameras such as the RX10M2, RX100M4, A7RII and A7SII... 'you're serious about video? Pay serious for serious video'. I feel like that's a thing over at Canon. 4K video on the 1DXII might be focused towards some kind of 4K Photo Mode. Possibly without including 24p and things like C-Log, since it's a camera focused on serious stills, not serious video.

- Could have recording times of max. 3 minutes and shoot cropped by 'pulling a Nikon' too of course...

Specs-wise, this seems like a big step up from the usual conservative Canon approach to video. However, like you said, we must take note that video is horribly utilised in their DSLR's yet very nicely done in their C-range. 

I expect the 4k 60fps to be full of aliasing and moire, and the 120fps to be worse from a windowed mode. If this isn't the case and they include C-log with basic video features like peaking - it will likely be a tremendous piece of filmmaking and stills kit.

Specs-wise, this seems like a big step up from the usual conservative Canon approach to video. However, like you said, we must take note that video is horribly utilised in their DSLR's yet very nicely done in their C-range. 

I expect the 4k 60fps to be full of aliasing and moire, and the 120fps to be worse from a windowed mode. If this isn't the case and they include C-log with basic video features like peaking - it will likely be a tremendous piece of filmmaking and stills kit.

4K 60fps will be almost certainly a 1:1 sensor readout, DSLR form factor just can't do any kind of downscaling to 4K right now, meaning it will be slightly softer but moire free, similar to 1D C 4K.

and no, Marco Tecno did not say anything, his "quote" was stuck in my reply to the OP by the messed up editor the board uses

That site also claims that it will have dual Digic 6 processors. Unless they are using the same sort of alternative codec like the C, it would mean HD footage only. Hardware encoding like that used in the C300M2 and XC10 would require Digic 7 processors.

In other words, those specs are probably made up from expectations and rumors rather than actual knowledge.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Canon are creators and investors in the CFast Media type, I expect every pro-oriented Canon camera to use them in order to popularize the medium as well as achieve higher burst rates (buffer) and video Fps. 

1Dx II will most like have a CFast Slot. Along with a CF slot. 

We're pretty certain it will do 4K (uhd) but 60p seems like a stretch. Even the C300II cannot do 60p. It will be 30p. Mark my words. Plus, with a 20mp sensor, the 4K mode will result in s35 1.5x crop (1:1, like 1DC). 

What we don't know is how much they'll push it to Cinema use, if they plan on not keeping a 1DC line (which I believe is the case, no 1dcii) it could have Canon Log and XFAVC 405mbps 4:2:2 4K. 

The 1DC would keep in the line with the advantage of

-DCI aspect ratio,

-1.25x crop,

-no record tax limit,

-(C-log & 4:2:2 if they give the 1DxII a low bitrate All-I H.264 4:2:0 codec and only standard picture styles)

Either way it will be an interesting camera to test as it represents Canon's highest sensor performance in low-light & DR plus how 4K video will look in subsequent 5D models, and will also indicate whether they plan on updating the 1DC line or not. 

But hey, maybe they'll knock our socks off with FF DCI 4K from a high DR/sensitivity sensor with Canon Log recorded in XFAVC 422 305mbps files at up to 60p and a sharp 1080p 120p mode, 4K HDMI, Dual pixel AF and 15/16fps stills. Doubt it. 

But hey, maybe they'll knock our socks off with FF DCI 4K from a high DR/sensitivity sensor with Canon Log recorded in XFAVC 422 305mbps files at up to 60p and a sharp 1080p 120p mode, 4K HDMI, Dual pixel AF and 15/16fps stills. Doubt it. 

Would be quite a thing if they do so.

But even then I would just be pissed cause I do not have 6500$... And the 5DIV will for sure be screwed, with at very best 4k 30fps.

4K 60fps is just so nice... amazing for crop, stab, details, creativity (dynamic crops, slow mo,...) 4K 60 fps with 1DC quality would be incredible. It would be a MASSIVE success in the video world as I imagine few people would pay double for a C300II that offers less in some ways..

• Administrators

My bet is it will be Super 35mm crop not 1.3x like the 1D C or full frame. There are also question marks over the codec. I doubt it is 500Mbit/s at 4K 60fps! The 1D C is 500Mbit/s in 24p - so a very nice image.

It could be a worse image on the 1D X Mark II with more compression and less sensor area.

Ultra HD crop from 20MP like we saw with D5 is 1.5x.

My bet is it will be Super 35mm crop not 1.3x like the 1D C or full frame. There are also question marks over the codec. I doubt it is 500Mbit/s at 4K 60fps! The 1D C is 500Mbit/s in 24p - so a very nice image.

It could be a worse image on the 1D X Mark II with more compression and less sensor area.

Ultra HD crop from 20MP like we saw with D5 is 1.5x.

im guessing it will be the xfavc codec

According to Canon, XFAVC is only for their camcorders and C-series cameras, it's likely to still be MJPEG but with increased bitrate, like 1000Mbps, recorded to CFast 2.0 card (128GB/15min)

If they use Digic 6 processors they will not be able to encode in hardware, so it would have to be MJPEG and a high bit rate.

I think it is more likely that they would use Digic 7 along with the XFAVC codec. So it should have similar overall specs that the C300M2 has.

• Administrators

So it should have similar overall specs that the C300M2 has.

What for $6k? From Canon? I doubt it

It probably doesn't even have peaking :)

Honestly guys I would not expect a professional video codec on this camera... it will be small file sizes all the way. It isn't a Cinema EOS camera, it is designed for news crews, paparazzi and sports photographers to WeTransfer MOV clips to hacks.