Sony FS700, 4K- real 10bit with Atomos Shogun Update??

PannySVHS

Quite a few firmware updates since you sold your fs700/7q !  Just installed their newest last night.

In the context of the fs700 though, you are correct.  I just wanted to mention the odyssey can record 4k prores from other cams, without the need for the raw package (which now is all inclusive, instead of needing separate raw uprgrades).  Options are confusing when CD is always upgrading:)

Trying it with the Odyssey? You'll have to let us know what you think vs your current cams. (C100ii and Gh4 right?) 

Yes that's correct. It definitely fills a gap in my camera needs. I love the GH4 compact setup, and I love how easy the C100 is to use on the fly, but I need a sturdier codec with HFR. Also it would nearly be Full Frame with a Speedbooster which is something I don't currently have. Red Raven or Scarlet was on my radar for next year but I love the stuff I've seen from the FS700 Raw/ProRes update.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For those of us who value ergonomics FS5 is definitely the top choice, 0.8kg weight is major selling point if you handheld your camera whole day, and rig it up if shooting in studio environment for maximum image quality with RAW and 7Q+

The fs5 seems like a practical cam, but unfortunately, raw from the fs5 is not yet a known commodity. Plenty of discussion from those who came from fs700raw  unhappy with the raw from the fs7 being sub par. Will be interesting!

I think we'll have a good idea of what FS5 raw will look like once people report on what it's like from the new FS7 3.0 firmware.

I really wish there was a smaller alternative to the O7Q, that was more appropriate to the FS5's size and ergonomics. I emailed Sound Devices about the Pix-E5 ever getting raw capabilities and I just got a generic "your feature request has been passed on to our development team" response.

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey guys!

On the Atomos site is an announcement for a Shogun Firmware Update to version 6.6, for Q1 2016, promising CDNG.

One thing to consider is the cost of media. Shogun takes normal SSDs, Odyssey needs media from Convergent Design.

cheers

Now the FS700 is even more tempting.

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

My plan was to rent an FS700 this weekend but I found 2 amazing deals and just went for it (used). I bought Shield's FS700 with 2 Metabones adapters. Also bought the Odyssey 7Q with RAW bundle, and 2 512GB SSD's for $2400.

Nice one! 

I feel the same regarding HFR... there is a significant quality hit/crop factor in mirrorless models and also the internal FS700 codec. 

I was looking at Raven/Scarlet-W for next year but I'm going to keep an eye on the FS5 + Recorder options for high bitrate HFR. I hope Convergent bring out a 5" version of the Odysssey. 

Another important thing is weight. The FS700 and FS5 will save your back. :)

Hope the FS700 works out for you. I've used it loads. Great camera. 

9 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

My plan was to rent an FS700 this weekend but I found 2 amazing deals and just went for it (used). I bought Shield's FS700 with 2 Metabones adapters. Also bought the Odyssey 7Q with RAW bundle, and 2 512GB SSD's for $2400.

Cool! Can´t wait to see you shoot some beautiful footage with it.

Really enjoyed your VLog and C100II shorts and tests. Where did you get that deal on the Odyssey with 1Gig of SSDs? Did you buy used?

You gonna forget about the GH4 Assasin combo?

8 hours ago, ntblowz said:

With Odyssey you can use Samsung SSD since the update from july last year, so media cost is actually the same for Atomos and Odyssey

Cool! Are you sure about that? Sorry for questioning. Should have done my research maybe!

I just really consider you guys my research partners by communicating with one another!:)

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Really enjoyed your VLog and C100II shorts and tests. Where did you get that deal on the Odyssey with 1Gig of SSDs? Did you buy used?

Cool! Are you sure about that? Sorry for questioning. Should have done my research maybe!

I just really consider you guys my research partners by communicating with one another!:)

Thanks. I did get it used from the link above posted by Jimmy. I'm not abandoning the GH4 at all. Just the Assassin, since the Odyssey will record HDMI 4K too. 

1 hour ago, Taranis said:

With the 7Q you can record 4K 60p (and 120p burst) and 2K 240p in raw mode, anyone knows if the new shogun raw update will allow the same framerates?

I doubt it will be added, the roadmap hasn't been changed for quite some time. But the standard slomo from the FS700 to ProRes or DNxHD on the Shogun is still nice.

On 2/6/2016 at 10:03 AM, PannySVHS said:

https://convergent-design.com/company/blog-news/entry/odyssey7q-now-includes-256gb-ssd-prices-slashed-and-five-samsung-ssds-qualified.html