Sony FS700, 4K- real 10bit with Atomos Shogun Update??

PannySVHS

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

So yeah I guess Odyssey 7Q is worth the extra $ if it allows for HFR Raw/ProRes.

Yup worth it imo, over the Shogun, Q7 adds

-240p 2K raw or prores,

-4K 12bit raw @60p,

-4K 12bit raw120p burst.

-4K 10bit Prores @60p 

Shogun gives the last one but @30p. Still great for those who don't care for RAW/HFR and just want a great 4K 24p image, identical or better than the FS7 image and F5.

It's a beast if you can handle the ergonomics of it combined with the Odyssey and is actually a slightly more capable camera than the FS7. The upgrade takes the FS700 from 5D/FS100 10-11stop 8bit image to F5 highest-end cinema beasts available at any cost. Quite a strange camera from Sony. 

a camera that keeps on giving :) it has been on just about any production I have been on...at least for slo-mo. now that you can get one for like 3k...do you think the foloving would work:

fs700 SDI out->sdi to hdmi converter->4k to 2k scaler ->atomos ninja2. For super clean 1080p image. A bit like they did on a7s before the shogun.

a camera that keeps on giving :) it has been on just about any production I have been on...at least for slo-mo. now that you can get one for like 3k...do you think the foloving would work:

fs700 SDI out->sdi to hdmi converter->4k to 2k scaler ->atomos ninja2. For super clean 1080p image. A bit like they did on a7s before the shogun.

Someone else might know better but I see the FS700 has HDMI out so it might be possible to go straight 4K to HD through HDMI into Ninja 2. No RAW or HFR though.

It is quite big and bulky... That is why we sold ours (alot of my work involves things like climbing mountains, glaciers etc).

In terms of image quality, it is very good though. I think it beats RED MX and the colours are more natural than Sony's baked in looks. It is very, very versatile too (plus things like NDs, XLRs etc).

It is quite big and bulky... That is why we sold ours (alot of my work involves things like climbing mountains, glaciers etc).

In terms of image quality, it is very good though. I think it beats RED MX and the colours are more natural than Sony's baked in looks. It is very, very versatile too (plus things like NDs, XLRs etc).

Actually climbing mountains will be important here too, but I thought I just grow some muscles... or not. Let's see what this new Canon 1DXII offers.

Hey Jimmy. I just got around to checking these files out. Does Premiere not support these DNG files? I can open them in AE and PS, but not Premiere.

use ppros media browser to open dng folders one at a time. (instead of import) 

or Use this method to import multiple dng  folders:  click import, browse to the folder containing dng folders >  type 00000 into the search box > select the clips you want and import.  

I would use AE, ACR, PS, or Resolve (easiest imo). Ppro supposedly is basically letting you view the file to edit, but you give up the advantages of shooting raw in the first place. (at least with CD dng's).

Gotcha. Do you need the RAW package update to record RAW to ProRes? If you don't have the RAW bundle how does it read into the 7Q to output ProRes?

The fs700 needs firmware 3.01 for 4k.  I don't believe the 7q or 7q+  needs the CD raw upgrade for up to 4k 30p prores, but does for raw or any Cd raw to prores variation for the fs700. 

bulky is an apt description, but the fs700 is actually about 2oz. lighter than 1dxii and can be easier to shoot with depending on the environment. (not including 7q of course, but if nds, mattebox, and monitor are needed for the 1dxii, weight is again comparable) 

The fs700 +7q files (both raw and prores) are very malleable.  I think someone who likes ml raw will be satisfied with the 4k raw of the fs700. 

*my perspective comes from currently owning fs700,1dc,F35,7d

Unless things have changed since I sold mine... Without the raw option, the Odyssey only records 8 bit 4:2:2 1080p ProRes and it is just a slightly better version of the internal 1080p.

The device only really improves when you are going raw or raw > ProRes

Quite a few firmware updates since you sold your fs700/7q !  Just installed their newest last night.

In the context of the fs700 though, you are correct.  I just wanted to mention the odyssey can record 4k prores from other cams, without the need for the raw package (which now is all inclusive, instead of needing separate raw uprgrades).  Options are confusing when CD is always upgrading:)

I think I'm going to get on board with the FS700 after I try it this weekend. They're going used for about $3000 but I noticed B&H is selling it brand new with a Metabones electronic EF to NEX adapter for $3999.

Trying it with the Odyssey? You'll have to let us know what you think vs your current cams. (C100ii and Gh4 right?)   Also, if you are using the Odyssey, their remote trigger is very handy ($80)

I was going to pull the trigger on an FS5 now i'm seriously tempted to go fs700 and 7q+. Just wish it had better ergonomics!

For those of us who value ergonomics FS5 is definitely the top choice, 0.8kg weight is major selling point if you handheld your camera whole day, and rig it up if shooting in studio environment for maximum image quality with RAW and 7Q+