Sony FS700, 4K- real 10bit with Atomos Shogun Update??

PannySVHS

Hallo,

Is it possible to get real 10bit 4K and 10bit 1080p out of the FS700 using the Atomos Shogun since its newest update?

In June there was a Firmware update for the Shogun. It says 4k is with the Fs 700 would be possible.

Would that be real 10bit Prores? Would downscale from the 4K feed to real 10bit 1080p be possible with the Shogun? Is there any fee to pay to Sony or Atomos

to be able to get that feature? Are SDI and HDMI both possible for that?

Would be great to hear from you guys.

Thanks a lot, Marty

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for your reply. Did I get this right- Shogun records real 10bit 4K from the FS700 with the new Atomos Firmware?

Before, all it took from the FS700 was 4:2:2 8bit 1080p.

Odyssey Q7 with Raw update is pretty pricey. Update itself is over 900 USD.

So a real 10bit solution with the Shogun would be awesome. Anybody shot with that combination getting beautiful 10bit 4K?

Yes but you need the HXR interface, in addition to the Atomos or Q7. So FS700 ($4K), HXR ($2200) and whatever recorder you go with. Seems way too bulky and pricy to me. Actually price isn't that bad considering what you're getting but still a mess to shoot with. 

You only need FS700 and 7Q with license, no need for HXR

http://www.sawmillcreative.ca/gear/experience-working-odyssey-7q-things-loved-things-learned/

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The Shogun just added compatibility with the FSRAW. Now it can read that 12bit 4K RAW signal.

You can't record it all, as in record 12bit 4K raw. 

It can only take that raw signal, debayer it and give you a compressed ProRes/DNxHD 10bit 4K/2K DCI files, only up to 30p. Yes much better than the previous 8bit 1080p. MUCH.

So if that's all you need, go ahead.

But the Q7+ unlocks so much more from the camera's potential, for not much more:

-12bit raw 4K uncompressed, up to 60p. 120p in 4 second bursts.

-ProRes 10bit 4K as Shogun but up to 60P.

-240p 2K continuous, RAW and ProRes, (huge feature, ups its slo-motion ability to a whole other level)

Plus The Panel is much better in daylight, and more durable body/casing (Shogun is pretty lousy at those two areas, though has a faster clearer user-interface and operates quicker like a tablet)

This a Slo-Mo camera and I think getting that 4K 60p and 2K 240p is worth it. (don't care much about 12bit raw vs 10bit ProRes they're pretty identical and nobody shoots it on the Q7+ anyway, HUGE files, it's the frame rates flexibility - and raw, if you're the kind of person who likes to squeeze every last bit-)

-The shogun is fine if you only need the 4K ProRes 24p/30p. The difference you'll get from the internal/external AVCHD 8bit HD to this new ProRes 10bit 4K is a blow in the face so great addition to the Shogun. 

The Shogun just added compatibility with the FSRAW. Now it can read that 12bit 4K RAW signal.

You can't record it all, as in record 12bit 4K raw. 

It can only take that raw signal, debayer it and give you a compressed ProRes/DNxHD 10bit 4K/2K DCI files, only up to 30p. Yes much better than the previous 8bit 1080p. MUCH.

So if that's all you need, go ahead.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all being so helpful!

So, Ebrahim, with Firmware 6.4 Shogun would record 10bit 4K without having to pay Sony for a FS700 4K Firmware update?

Not shooting high class cams (yet:) Still wrenching my G6- film grain really helps to dither out some nastiest macroblocking.

That FS700 is from my filmschool and needs some new energy put into it.

cheers, Marty

To get any kind of 4K, you will need to get the Sony 4K firmware to unlock the camera... Atomos, Odyssey etc all use the 4K raw that it enables (to create the ProRes files). With the Odyssey, you will also need to unlock the raw formats with firmware too (If you can get a 2nd hand unit, it will almost certainly have them enabled already).

Here is one I saw earlier today, though I would personally be looking for the + model, if I were you... Far more future proof:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?343823-Convergent-design-odyssey-7q-256-ssd-full-raw-bundle

To get any kind of 4K, you will need to get the Sony 4K firmware to unlock the camera... Atomos, Odyssey etc all use the 4K raw that it enables (to create the ProRes files).

Hey Jimmy,

thanks for your great input. So Sony unlock is needed then. Still a great option  with the Shogun, if 10bit is all one is asking for.

cheers

No probs mate... Unlocking that raw output is worth every penny... It will be like a new camera, whether you go shogun or odyssey. It is one of the great overlooked cameras, imho, when unleashed.

4K to 120fps in raw... 2K to 240p in raw... ProRes options... 4K to 1080p downscale.... 12-13 stops DR... Good low light... NDs... Good audio...