FILMCONVERT for the Samsung NX1

kidzrevil

Filmconvert is a priceless piece of film emulation software that undoubtedly has made it to the workflow of many pro's out there. With their ongoing dedication to supporting the latest and greatest cameras available to both indie and pro filmmakers I am surprised they have shown no support for the NX1. I understand the rumors of a Samsung (camera) shutdown may be off putting but a lot of people do actually own the NX1. Or maybe I am delusional ? Who knows. Just saying support from FILMCONVERT for the Samsung body could be a god send for those who bought it and who will buy it in the future when the price drops.

I hope the filmconvert guys are out there listening lol

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Filmconvert is a priceless piece of film emulation software that undoubtedly has made it to the workflow of many pro's out there. With their ongoing dedication to supporting the latest and greatest cameras available to both indie and pro filmmakers I am surprised they have shown no support for the NX1. I understand the rumors of a Samsung (camera) shutdown may be off putting but a lot of people do actually own the NX1. Or maybe I am delusional ? Who knows. Just saying support from FILMCONVERT for the Samsung body could be a god send for those who bought it and who will buy it in the future when the price drops.

I hope the filmconvert guys are out there listening lol

Have you tried using the profiles for other cameras on your NX1 footage?

I use a BM Pocket & have not used the BM profiles for a while now, since I much prefer the ARRI profile from FilmConvert - it seems to deal with skintones & colour much better (you do have to turn down the settings from the default 100% or lower the contrast on your clips & raise the saturation). I've also had good results with using the FC default profile as an Adjustment Layer. Well worth experimenting a little with FC profiles!

Try using the Arri Alexa Rec 709 profile in filmconvert and raise exposure by .2.  It's excellent with the NX1 Gamma DR mode. 

Im currently using the alexa profile cuz I love the look of the grain however an accurate emulation for the NX1 would be ideal. That's what I would like to see included in FILMCONVERT. It is an expensive piece of software afterall...

I rather enjoy making film luts (did several for the a7s) and would not be opposed to making some for the nx1. is there a market for this? i have never made a plugin, but i have some great 4k grain that i could pair with luts. Tell me what type of looks you'd like to see and I'll see what I can do. Personally I like the normal gamma -5 contrast look and I think it'd pair nice with a film look.

I rather enjoy making film luts (did several for the a7s) and would not be opposed to making some for the nx1. is there a market for this? i have never made a plugin, but i have some great 4k grain that i could pair with luts. Tell me what type of looks you'd like to see and I'll see what I can do. Personally I like the normal gamma -5 contrast look and I think it'd pair nice with a film look.

before we make LUT's for the NX1 we need to have a group project lol. We need someone that has an external recorder with vectorscopes to shoot some charts to find which profile has the most accurate color after hue & saturation adjustments and then start from there. Tweaking the color balance may be a hidden gem as well I know there may be a lot more to it than setting the green down to x0.94. Once we can get the most accurate color possible out the cam then we can build LUT's for it. Im down to help you test it. I would shoot some charts if I wasn't so damn busy !

before we make LUT's for the NX1 we need to have a group project lol. We need someone that has an external recorder with vectorscopes to shoot some charts to find which profile has the most accurate color after hue & saturation adjustments and then start from there. Tweaking the color balance may be a hidden gem as well I know there may be a lot more to it than setting the green down to x0.94. Once we can get the most accurate color possible out the cam then we can build LUT's for it. Im down to help you test it. I would shoot some charts if I wasn't so damn busy !

well i've got the monitor, just don't have real charts readily at my fingertips. 

Rest of the week is pretty booked, but this could be something I do maybe next week. Let me see if there are any camera shops that might just be willing to let me borrow a test chart, or maybe shoot something in store. Do you think that micro adjustments like green, red, etc are universal between all the chips that Samsung put into the cameras? What lens would be most appropriate? I have the 16-50S, but also access to sony cine alta primes which are quite clean and don't seem to warm or cool images much if at all.

Rest of the week is pretty booked, but this could be something I do maybe next week. Let me see if there are any camera shops that might just be willing to let me borrow a test chart, or maybe shoot something in store. Do you think that micro adjustments like green, red, etc are universal between all the chips that Samsung put into the cameras? What lens would be most appropriate? I have the 16-50S, but also access to sony cine alta primes which are quite clean and don't seem to warm or cool images much if at all.

I would use the samsung lens with an expodisc to make sure the white balance is accurate. As far as the r,g,b luminosity adjustments go it should be universal across all the nx1 chips. Im sure the adjustments are based off of a universal scale kinda like how 0-255 & 16-235 luma will be the same on any camera. You can use the cine alta primes when you're done testing just to quickly confirm the colors are roughly the same. A little variance shouldn't affect the image that much

Which came first the NX1 or the 16-50s?

think the nx1 came out about the same time. I really do think their S line of lenses were designed with the nx1 in mind

I would use the samsung lens with an expodisc to make sure the white balance is accurate. As far as the r,g,b luminosity adjustments go it should be universal across all the nx1 chips. Im sure the adjustments are based off of a universal scale kinda like how 0-255 & 16-235 luma will be the same on any camera. You can use the cine alta primes when you're done testing just to quickly confirm the colors are roughly the same. A little variance shouldn't affect the image that much

think the nx1 came out about the same time. I really do think their S line of lenses were designed with the nx1 in mind

Yeah, I think that lens is optimized for the sensor, or vice versa. I would be curious to learn if the macroblocking is present under the same circumstance when shot with the 16-50s as it is when shot with one of your lenses. 

Interesting thread. Be nice to have some custom made LUT's for the NX1. 

I don't think FilmConvert will ever make a profile for the NX1 now. 

@ kidzrevil ... as someone mentioned, the Alexa 709 profile works well but so do the Red Epic X profiles with RedGamma if you shot flat.

However, like yourself, I'm really enjoying experimenting with the Impulz LUTs as well. Finding that the Cineon to Kodak & Fuji work nice over the EOSHD LOG conversion LUT

I like the Noritch DELUT a lot too.

Interesting thread. Be nice to have some custom made LUT's for the NX1. 

I don't think FilmConvert will ever make a profile for the NX1 now. 

@ kidzrevil ... as someone mentioned, the Alexa 709 profile works well but so do the Red Epic X profiles with RedGamma if you shot flat.

However, like yourself, I'm really enjoying experimenting with the Impulz LUTs as well. Finding that the Cineon to Kodak & Fuji work nice over the EOSHD LOG conversion LUT

I like the Noritch DELUT a lot too.

yeah the impulz cineon conversion is well put together. visioncolor has always been extremely precise with their luts. If you have a way to view the lut file individual adjustments in an app like color finesse you would see an insane amount of detail that was put in the LUT ! Deluts are good too i use it in conjunction with impulz 

Yeah, I think that lens is optimized for the sensor, or vice versa. I would be curious to learn if the macroblocking is present under the same circumstance when shot with the 16-50s as it is when shot with one of your lenses. 

Unfortunately I don't think it will affect the macroblocking. I think maybe the only lens that can improve the image in that regard is a low contrast dog schidt lens but good luck getting your hands on one of those. i've been contacting him to make me one for the longest now and I have not received a response ! Macroblocking occurs in the shadows where the compression assigns the least amount of data and in shots stopped down with deep depth of field, lots of motion and sharpness. The detail exceeds the bitrate of the codec and voila compression artifacts like macroblocking show up :(

yeah the impulz cineon conversion is well put together. visioncolor has always been extremely precise with their luts. If you have a way to view the lut file individual adjustments in an app like color finesse you would see an insane amount of detail that was put in the LUT ! Deluts are good too i use it in conjunction with impulz 

Unfortunately I don't think it will affect the macroblocking. I think maybe the only lens that can improve the image in that regard is a low contrast dog schidt lens but good luck getting your hands on one of those. i've been contacting him to make me one for the longest now and I have not received a response ! Macroblocking occurs in the shadows where the compression assigns the least amount of data and in shots stopped down with deep depth of field, lots of motion and sharpness. The detail exceeds the bitrate of the codec and voila compression artifacts like macroblocking show up :(

You know he is one of the moderators here? If you think low contrast lenses might help, you may want to try one of Tokina's old RMC zoom lenses. Andy Lee has posted a lot about their low contrast glory. 

You know he is one of the moderators here? If you think low contrast lenses might help, you may want to try one of Tokina's old RMC zoom lenses. Andy Lee has posted a lot about their low contrast glory. 

what's the dog schidt guys name on here ? If he could modify my nikkors I would paint masterpieces with it. Literally the coating is a game changer. The DP in saving private ryan requested to have the coatings of their lenses removed. Instant low con

what's the dog schidt guys name on here ? If he could modify my nikkors I would paint masterpieces with it. Literally the coating is a game changer. The DP in saving private ryan requested to have the coatings of their lenses removed. Instant low con

richg. I remember reading about that with saving private ryan. Interesting. 

This article might be of interest, if you're after uncoated lenses & Duclos will uncoat lenses:

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/12/whats-special-about-uncoated-lenses

However, you might be on a Holy Grail quest that could send you down a rabbit hole that you can never get out of!

Rich's DS lenses are probably the best option, if Duclos charge too much.