upgrade from GH4 - should be FS5 ?

sergeii

i see that was only speculations so far :/ so can abybody with fs700 clearly tell me what output i can get with ninja assassin or pix-e5h ? some say fs700 could output 4k via hdmi but some say it can do it only via SDI. well dont need fs raw so much now but prores 4k and 1080 is need

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yeah so pix-e5h should be able to record 4k in prores via sdi right ? sorry but i cant find aby proof on this

i see but 7q is out of my budget now with new camera

The Pix-e5h has only HDMI, you'd need to Pix-e5 for SDI connection. But the Pix-e5 only does 4k via HDMI, not SDI, according to the B&H Q&A for the product.

Personally I think it's kinda annoying how much "web research" is necessary to find a fitting combo of camera + recorder/monitor. I'd never have expected so many incompatibilities and hickups. Obviously there's less standardization regarding HDMI / SDI data protocolls than I thought.

AFAIK, the SDI is only outputting a raw signal (in 4K mode), which the PIX wouldn't be able to read to convert to ProRes... OQ7 or Atomos seems the only options.

I think the OQ7+ is on offer at $1800 with SSDs, so your budget of $7500 should accommodate it? (FS700 is only $4000 new).

All that said though.... If you are going down such a route, i'd hang back to see how the FS5 raw output looks... (Though I think it is unlikely Sony will give 4K 120fps bursts, like the FS700)

ok sorry i made mistake with pix-e5h and mean e5 but i would say its pretty hard to find right solution

so only shogun or q7 but in my country q7 cost about $3100 (shit import duties) so no chance to get it cheaper from non-european countries plus fs700 cost about $5100 same no chance to get it cheaper

actually have a chance to get red one mx fully rigged for $4600 directly in my country .. but that weight

56029722.jpg

If you are willing to get a 2nd hand RED, why not a 2nd hand FS700/O7Q?

Other than Redcode and maybe colour (maybe), I found it better in every way.

i know this red is like a last option

checking all european ebays and 2nd hand fs700 and there is no good option even no used 7Q

• 3 months later...
On 25 January 2016 at 8:59 AM, sergeii said:

Hey, looking for upgrading my GH4 - currently selling my whole set (gh4,lenses,recorder) and for a two weeks looking for upgrade so

1, Sony FS5 (my number one) but only 50mbps in 4k / no 4k 10bit via SDI/HDMI - possible fw upgrade, fhd is all good

2, BM Ursa mini (no so many info/rev here) black sun spot again, cannot use with my ronin-m

3, A7sII (sooo small) fx but same specs for 4k and i think not worth to upgrade from GH4 right ?

So i am pretty lost now, looks like its not extra-worthy to upgrade from GH4 now BUT what could be better ?  i'd love to hear someone who upgraded from GH4 too, thanks

Ok I have shot with quite a few cameras on this thread... Here is my take...

GH4 I own... (But may upgrade to FS5). GH4 is a really great camera... Great image... Great functions... But the downside is you have to use external audio... Like a Juiced Link Box and buy expensive ND filters.

Sony X70... (owned and returned)... Great image but buttons too small and badly placed... And main issue no HDMI/SDI feed out in 4K mode so forget attaching an external monitor.

Panasonic DVX200... Image average and slightly green in my experience... Build quality average... Very big and plasticy. Nice zoom range though and an all in one solution.

JVC LS200... Interesting... Scan feature eliminates vignetting so attached my GH4 X series lenses... M43 on Super 35mm... Image great... General functions pretty good... Let down though by no OIS. On further research OIS only available on a small no. of cheap kit lenses to that nailed that one. On a tripod fine though.

Mini Ursa... Had a look at one at a show. Great build... New OS looks awesome... But no ND... Price adds up when you trick it up and storage expensive... Currently can't even get hold of one... I have seen sample footage... Looks really good.

Which brings me to Sony FS5... Love it... Great form factor for hand held ... Used with Metabones and my Canon L glass... Image superb... 240fps slo mo awesome... Built  in variable ND... All buttons exactly where you want them... Very easy to use... What is not to like?

So may upgrade from my GH4... Not particularly because of image quality improvements because the GH4 is excellent... But for form factor... Built in ND... Built in audio... 240fps slo mo...  Both cameras are easy to use. I have tested both in 4K  and image is close... Sony just edges it on dynamic range... But it's close. Sony 4K and 1080p also close in quality... so would have no issue mixing the footage...

Just my thoughts...

Have you tried the Leeming One LUT for both CineD and Vlog...$23 for both and comes with settings for each profile and detailed explanation on exposure settings, zebras and ETTR...amazing difference and skin tones are the best out of the camera IMO...essentially rec709 Luts...gets you to a really good grading point...excellent value and you may seriously reconsider your upgrade!...GH4 with CineD and Leeming One...sorry...a bit off topic, but....

image.jpg

On January 26, 2016 at 3:51 AM, Jimmy said:

4K is only via SDI on FS700.. The raw to ProRes mode on the 7Q is a thing of beauty.

The colors on this camera are extremely difficult to work with. The footage is amazing in every other way. 4k/120fps is so nice to have. Lowlight is great as well.

On January 26, 2016 at 4:34 AM, Jimmy said:

AFAIK, the SDI is only outputting a raw signal (in 4K mode), which the PIX wouldn't be able to read to convert to ProRes... OQ7 or Atomos seems the only options.

I think the OQ7+ is on offer at $1800 with SSDs, so your budget of $7500 should accommodate it? (FS700 is only $4000 new).

All that said though.... If you are going down such a route, i'd hang back to see how the FS5 raw output looks... (Though I think it is unlikely Sony will give 4K 120fps bursts, like the FS700)

You can get the whole FS700/7Q kit for around 5k if you look around. The setup is large and not a huge fan of the color. It takes a lot of work to get it a nice place.