Dog Schidt Optiks meets my BMPCC

Zak Forsman

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

lush.  It's the grain I love from the bmpcc. - as shown in this gif.  running base iso in night time where a lot of the areas of a frame are underexposed, then applying a careful colour noise reduction in raw - leaving the luma grain sharp and intact renders a superbly filmic look.  I've had lots comments of how nice the 88mm, 0.58x sb and bmpcc work together and have not tried the combo myself.  the defocus rolloff on this shot looks great - as I;ve said, that sb 0.58x is creating a very good mimmic of a bigger 35mm format.

I also like the lower frame rate that gif is exhibiting.  is that 15fps?

When he (is that you?) gets right-hooked in front of the lit building, the image looks 3D, the bokeh is so subtle, yet brilliant. Who needs an f/1.4 when you have oval discs.

the interesting thing that happens when an oval aperture disk is installed is that the overall image quality goes up drastically.  - since the width of the aperture reduces to around the same diameter as if the aperture were closed down to around f4-f5.6.  Since the height of the largest 2x oval (f3.2) remains the same as the diameter of a circular f2 aperture the actual depth of field remains almost as shallow as it would be with a typical f2 circular aperture.  The result is a magical balance of shallowness of dof and the refinement of horizontal image quality from the smaller aperture width.  also, the illumination of the sensor becomes more even since instead of projecting a circular image circle, the image circle becomes slightly brighter on the horizontal plane.  - this reduces vignette and tends to create the look of a higher end lens which has been closed down to reduce vignette.

The only real downside is the reduction in light transmission.  However since at f2 most lenses don;t really provide a refined enough image/deep enough dof for scripted images anyway the slower lens speed just means a shoot can usually be undertaken without the need for more lighting than you;d use for a typical shoot.  The 250% extra light exposure from the speed booster and the 800 base of the bmpcc somewhat makes up for the light losses anyway!

When he (is that you?) gets right-hooked in front of the lit building, the image looks 3D, the bokeh is so subtle, yet brilliant. Who needs an f/1.4 when you have oval discs.

yeah, the 88mm attachment is wonderful. I love longer focal lengths and am thinking of getting a MFT/EF adapter without any speed boosting glass to increase the reach of this DSO set when needed. 

as for "is that me?"... haha, no.... we look related, but no that's not me. he's a terrific actor named John T. Woods. in this pic, he's the one seated and i'm standing on the right.

The-Sabi-Company-Photo.jpg

lush.  It's the grain I love from the bmpcc. - as shown in this gif.  running base iso in night time where a lot of the areas of a frame are underexposed, then applying a careful colour noise reduction in raw - leaving the luma grain sharp and intact renders a superbly filmic look.  I've had lots comments of how nice the 88mm, 0.58x sb and bmpcc work together and have not tried the combo myself.  the defocus rolloff on this shot looks great - as I;ve said, that sb 0.58x is creating a very good mimmic of a bigger 35mm format.

I also like the lower frame rate that gif is exhibiting.  is that 15fps?

Yeah, the grain looks spectacular in the full res master export. I think this gif is 12fps.

yeah, the 88mm attachment is wonderful. I love longer focal lengths and am thinking of getting a MFT/EF adapter without any speed boosting glass to increase the reach of this DSO set when needed. 
as for "is that me?"... haha, no.... we look related, but no that's not me. he's a terrific actor named John T. Woods. in this pic, he's the one seated and i'm standing on the right.

The-Sabi-Company-Photo.jpg

Yeah, the grain looks spectacular in the full res master export. I think this gif is 12fps.

Haha, I think I recognize him from some of your other work... I meant to ask you before if that was you or you were brothers or some shit. Anyway, the bmpcc has a 2.88 X crop factor, right? That Trump should look nice at that longer length. Are you guys shooting your next feature with the pocket or the micro?

the interesting thing that happens when an oval aperture disk is installed is that the overall image quality goes up drastically.  - since the width of the aperture reduces to around the same diameter as if the aperture were closed down to around f4-f5.6.  Since the height of the largest 2x oval (f3.2) remains the same as the diameter of a circular f2 aperture the actual depth of field remains almost as shallow as it would be with a typical f2 circular aperture.  The result is a magical balance of shallowness of dof and the refinement of horizontal image quality from the smaller aperture width.  also, the illumination of the sensor becomes more even since instead of projecting a circular image circle, the image circle becomes slightly brighter on the horizontal plane.  - this reduces vignette and tends to create the look of a higher end lens which has been closed down to reduce vignette.

The only real downside is the reduction in light transmission.  However since at f2 most lenses don;t really provide a refined enough image/deep enough dof for scripted images anyway the slower lens speed just means a shoot can usually be undertaken without the need for more lighting than you;d use for a typical shoot.  The 250% extra light exposure from the speed booster and the 800 base of the bmpcc somewhat makes up for the light losses anyway!

So, you're getting a sharper image because the disc is essentially the opening of a 3.2 on the short side, but on the long sides it is nearly wide open for the speed and shallow depth... Brilliant.

Any plans to make a budget line using Takumars? Hell, how about adapters that can use the oval discs? M42 to micro 4/3rds... I'd pay for one of those. 

Jonesy, this particular location is an alley right behind the building we have a production office in. The amber light in the BG comes from the top of my building and the neighboring one. The green light in the foreground comes from a parking lot just out of frame (screen left). Didn't use any light of my own here. But chose the location because of the nice color contrast between amber and green, and staged the actors to work within those restrictions. 

wanted to add that this hits on what i love about anamorphic bokeh (real or faux). it has a subtle but important affect on how your foreground subject is separated from the defocused background. it pops a little more, creating a distinct character to the image that you don't get with straight spherical lenses.

wanted to add that this hits on what i love about anamorphic bokeh (real or faux). it has a subtle but important affect on how your foreground subject is separated from the defocused background. it pops a little more, creating a distinct character to the image that you don't get with straight spherical lenses.

Totally see that. Smart move to have your actor dressed in all black too... Which is spectacularly inky. I didn't realize how much the blacks could be pushed with the pocket. 

Is it an inside joke that your alter ego actor gets the shit kicked out of him in most of your films?

Yes. as a matter of fact, his name is John T. Woods and my wife likes to note that the T. stands for "Take it in the face".

And regarding wardrobe, you can control so little on a no budget production that (even though we're using the actors' own clothing) I try to be as specific as possible with the things we can control, such as restricting the colors they wear to a cohesive palette, and choosing locations that have the right built-in production design.

• 3 weeks later...