What is your recipe for GH4/G7 anamorphic?

Spgreen65

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

GH4 -

Scopes used - Kowa Elmo II, Kowa B&H (same as ElmoII, need to sell), Kowa 8z, Isco s8.

Taking lenses used most - Canon nFD's, 24mm 2.8, 35mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8.

Process - GH4 4:3 anamorphic mode. After shooting I put it through Alex D's script to down-sample, de-noise, sharpen and stretch back to 1080p 2.67aspect. 

I'm really amazed by how well this works, down-sampled 4K anamorphic from GH4 has such little noise I can shoot up to 1600ISO.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:14 PM, tweak said:

GH4 -

Scopes used - Kowa Elmo II, Kowa B&H (same as ElmoII, need to sell), Kowa 8z, Isco s8.

Taking lenses used most - Canon nFD's, 24mm 2.8, 35mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8.

Process - GH4 4:3 anamorphic mode. After shooting I put it through Alex D's script to down-sample, de-noise, sharpen and stretch back to 1080p 2.67aspect. 

I'm really amazed by how well this works, down-sampled 4K anamorphic from GH4 has such little noise I can shoot up to 1600ISO.

can you share more info about Alex D's script?

Currently, I'm using the RJ Focal Reducer 0.72x, Helios 44-2 MMZ and Helios 44m, and Bolex Moller 8/19. I'm considering trying some EF taking lenses, so if any of you in here have any good recommendations for some nice EF lenses to go along with my Baby Moller, I'd appreciate it. 

Here's a recent video I just shot with this setup. GH4 + RJ Focal Reducer + Helios 44-2 MMZ + Baby Moller. 

Hey,

Bought a Moller few weeks ago. It's an awesome piece of gear, got it with a custom housing and threads. As you can see, it is very hard to pull focus properly. This was shot handheld, without external monitor. Because of the anamorphic lens attachment, there isn't coming too much light throug, so the Gh4's focus peaking does not work very well, so I had to judge the focus just by my eyes. The lens was set to f2.8, but note that there is a speedbooster in the chain as well.  

The setup was: GH4 + Mitakon Lens Turbo + Canon 85mm f1.8 + Moller 1.5x anamorphot + 0.5 diopter

I did not spend much time with the edit...

IMG_8880.jpg

Folks thank so much for your sharing.  So yesterday day my minty used GH4 showed in the mail. So now, I need to pull the trigger on an anamorphic adapter.  This is the most agonizing decision I have ever had to make buying camera gear.  I had my heart set on the SLR Magic 2x with Range finder, but the $1400 price tag has got me on pause.  I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

My current taking lens choices are:

1. Tokina 11-20 2.8
  2. Panasonic 20mm 1.7
  3. Sigma 18-35 1.8
  4. Nikon 24mm 1.8D
  5. Nikon 50mm 118D
  6. Sigma 24-70 2.8
  7. Tokina 100mm Macro
  8. Nikon 70-200 VR 2.8

From what I have read only 3,4, and 5 will be compatible with the 2x SLR Magic. My biggest concern is getting the adapter, then having to go out and spend even more on lenses to get an assortment of wide, medium and close up shots. 

Shane

Buy some cheap FDs or Takumars. 24 or 28, 35 and a 50 should cover most situations. Newer lenses with complex designs and zooms don't tend to work as well. You can get those lenses I listed for pennies.

Also I would advise getting a vintage 2nd hand 2x adapter rather than the SLR, you will save a ton of money, put that into lenses and diopters.

1 hour ago, tweak said:

Buy some cheap FDs or Takumars. 24 or 28, 35 and a 50 should cover most situations. Newer lenses with complex designs and zooms don't tend to work as well. You can get those lenses I listed for pennies.

Also I would advise getting a vintage 2nd hand 2x adapter rather than the SLR, you will save a ton of money, put that into lenses and diopters.

Thanks Tweak!

19 hours ago, Spgreen65 said:

Folks thank so much for your sharing.  So yesterday day my minty used GH4 showed in the mail. So now, I need to pull the trigger on an anamorphic adapter.  This is the most agonizing decision I have ever had to make buying camera gear.  I had my heart set on the SLR Magic 2x with Range finder, but the $1400 price tag has got me on pause.  I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

My current taking lens choices are:

1. Tokina 11-20 2.8
  2. Panasonic 20mm 1.7
  3. Sigma 18-35 1.8
  4. Nikon 24mm 1.8D
  5. Nikon 50mm 118D
  6. Sigma 24-70 2.8
  7. Tokina 100mm Macro
  8. Nikon 70-200 VR 2.8

From what I have read only 3,4, and 5 will be compatible with the 2x SLR Magic. My biggest concern is getting the adapter, then having to go out and spend even more on lenses to get an assortment of wide, medium and close up shots. 

Shane

The 2x anamorphic lens won't work with focal lengths shorter than 80mm (on fullframe). So Nikon 50mm f1.8 will probably work but the others won't.

SLR MAGIC says:

The adapter has a 77mm front filter thread and a native 62mm rear thread. As such it is only suitable for lenses which have a front element size of 50mm or less. 

So not sure if it will work with the zoom lenses. Like Tweak said, get som cheap vintage lenses, they will do the job. Get a Pentax SMC, old Canon FD's or other lenses.

Few more things that you need to be aware of, before buying a 2x anamorphic lens.

1. If you're looking for a true focusthrough anamorphic, SLR magic may be not the one. The lens has 2 modes, Near and Far. You have to set your anamorphic lens attachment according to the focus distance.
  2. Using 2x anamorphics won't let you shoot slowmo. The 4:3 mode is accessable only in 4K photo mode. No 1080p! Well, you can shoot with it in 1080p, but your final image will be 3.66:1.
  3. You can't go wide with 2x lens. The min. focal length is 80mm (on fullframe). With the 1.33x you can shoot at 40mm (FF).
  4. You have to shoot really stopped down to avoid soft image. Some says F5.6-8.

These are just few things I found out before I purchased my lens. These are just some downsides, of course it has a brighter side as well :) You get the oval bokeh, flares and the waterfall look. So, it's your preference :)

funkyou86 - Thank you for the great reply.  The whole 2x vs 1.33 is a struggle for me.  Good to know at least one of my lenses will work.  if any of you see anything for sale that you think will work, either pm or add it here.  I am going to poke around ebay.

Funkyou, what about this one,  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-Super-Cinelux-Anamorphic-2x-Scope-Lens-TESTD-Canon-60D-APS-C-Nikon-559-/111953241767?hash=item1a10eee6a7:g:e9QAAOSw~bFWNoJM

Seems like a good cheap way to try out 2x

5 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

The 2x anamorphic lens won't work with focal lengths shorter than 80mm (on fullframe). So Nikon 50mm f1.8 will probably work but the others won't.

SLR MAGIC says:

So not sure if it will work with the zoom lenses. Like Tweak said, get som cheap vintage lenses, they will do the job. Get a Pentax SMC, old Canon FD's or other lenses.

Few more things that you need to be aware of, before buying a 2x anamorphic lens.

1. If you're looking for a true focusthrough anamorphic, SLR magic may be not the one. The lens has 2 modes, Near and Far. You have to set your anamorphic lens attachment according to the focus distance.
  2. Using 2x anamorphics won't let you shoot slowmo. The 4:3 mode is accessable only in 4K photo mode. No 1080p! Well, you can shoot with it in 1080p, but your final image will be 3.66:1.
  3. You can't go wide with 2x lens. The min. focal length is 80mm (on fullframe). With the 1.33x you can shoot at 40mm (FF).
  4. You have to shoot really stopped down to avoid soft image. Some says F5.6-8.

These are just few things I found out before I purchased my lens. These are just some downsides, of course it has a brighter side as well :) You get the oval bokeh, flares and the waterfall look. So, it's your preference :)

25 minutes ago, Spgreen65 said:

Hey, you're welcome. On ebay everything seems very nice, but please note that this lens does not have a front thread, so you can't mount a diopter or ND filter to it. Also, there is no mention about the widest aperture you can shoot with this lens (before the image gets unusably soft).

Well, it was a struggle for me as well, i spent months to make my research, then I ended up between 1.33 and 2x with the 1.5x Baby Moller, so far I'm really satisfied, can't wait to try it out on a commercial project.

My next, 2x lens will be something cheaper. There is a lens called "MOSTY", try to search for it on ebay, you can geti it for aprox 300 eur and can shoot wide open. Also, Kowa would be nice. Note, that these lenses are not focusthrough, sou you have to rack (double) focus, or buy an SLR Magic rangefinder to make it singlefocus. In my opinion, kowa + rangefinder is still cheaper than slr magics anamorphot, not as handy and small, but cheaper and has the character.

I'm not sure where are you located, but if you're in europe, try this seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/die_bitsbox/m.html?item=131728005478&hash=item1eab99d966%3Ag%3A8uYAAOSwG-1WwNes&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562 He delivers absolutely great lens and service, also his offer changes day by day. 

Good luck!
Alex

so I found a good deal on a gently used 1.33 anamorphot setup.   I figure I got into it cheap enough I should be able to flip it if I don't dig it.  It should be here Wednesday, I will spend next weekend getting aquainted and testing it out. I will post some footage once I get it sorted out.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

3 hours ago, Spgreen65 said:

so I found a good deal on a gently used 1.33 anamorphot setup.   I figure I got into it cheap enough I should be able to flip it if I don't dig it.  It should be here Wednesday, I will spend next weekend getting aquainted and testing it out. I will post some footage once I get it sorted out.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Great! Ebay?