Fuji X Pro 2 video quality a huge step up - hands on with the final hardware, pre-production firmware

Andrew Reid

Well at this price range, I would expect internal stabilization, great slow motion and great low light. If it were a thousand dollars less I would be interested, but at this price I expect more in features such I already mentioned. It would be nice to have 4k too for editing, but I will pass on this one. I also expect video related features that relate to focus, exposure, historgram etc.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

Dpreview has published the review of the X-Pro2 video function. 

Here is an example:

While it has definitely much better resolution than any other video from X-trans cameras, still it does not look decent with its extra sharpening and aliasing artifacts.  Also I don't find the film simulations that useful when you can achieve any look with a proper LUT/color grading in post. 

The reality is that X-trans is not optimized for video. Unless Fuji finds a way to read the whole sensor and then downsample and don't use excessive sharpening that is. Look what the A6300 can do with a Bayer version of the same sensor (and $700 cheaper :)) . 

• Administrators

There's still some moire and aliasing there, looks similar to the Samsung NX1's post firmware update 1080p. Not as clean as A7S or D750 1080p.

Colour looks snappy though and plenty of detail.

Don't write off what a non-bayer pattern can do for colour. X Trans I am not sure but Foveon sensors definitely make everything else look like they have a brown piece of glass in front of the sensor.

Shame hardly any OIS lenses from Fuji. Handheld it is going to be a bit naff.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Don't write off what a non-bayer pattern can do for colour.  

X-trans if anything has less color sensitivity than a Bayer sensor. The only reason that Fuji cameras can deliver nice colors is because Fuji knows color very well and can work around the limitations of the sensor on color in order to provide better noise performance. 

I am sure if they focus on video they can deliver something very good. I would like to see an image without aliasing artifacts (downsampled from a full sensor readout), with a light log curve. And then Fuji should provide us with LUTs with their excellent Film simulations.  

Your initial report has propagated quit a bit on the web, so a mail from you on how to improve video might get things going ;)

On 1/23/2016 at 10:46 PM, pszilard said:

Can the X-PRO2 output clean HDMI for external recording???

How would you compare the new X-PRO2 to the Nikon D750 for video? I have been hanging on to my D750 mainly for video, but have built up an 11 lens kit bag for Fuji for still photography. Would the X-PRO2, allow me to say good bye to Nikon and shoot Fuji? I usually record externally to an Atomos Ninja Blade, and would like to know if I can do that also with the X-PRO2?

Thanks in advance,

Would be nice to get a reply to my question!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Actually the footage looks very very ''nice''. Great filmic rendering and contrast. Just a much more pleasing image than what I see from an a6000, and better resolution & colour/overall feel than my D5300 but with extra (minimal) aliasing. 6400 looks VERY clean and impressive rolling shutter. 

It's subjective and I instantly linked with the image. Would love to try it for a short. 

Low rolling shutter, clean in low light, really pleasing color and contrast, detailed enough, and only mild moire and aliasing (Reminds me of the GH3). Couple that with incredible stills performance, and I'd strongly considering picking up an X-E3 or whatever lower-priced Fujis end up with this sensor. It's not top of the heap, but I'd put it in the same category as a D5500, just above the E-M5 II and just below the non-4K Panasonics.

I can't fathom why Fuji doesn't take a crack at pro video. They have the expertise, the pedigree, and a "look" cinematographers and clients can love.

Fuji definitely knows tone and colour :)

Also, resolution comparison here

http://***URL removed***/reviews/retro-through-and-through-fujifilm-x-pro2-first-impressions-review/9

Looks pretty good but hope the sharpness can be dialled back, along with the highlights. On my XT-10 you can set "Highlight tone" to -2 to show more detail in bright areas. Unfortunately it only works for stills. If it worked for video, I would actually take a lot more of it. 

• 2 weeks later...