Fuji X Pro 2 video quality a huge step up - hands on with the final hardware, pre-production firmware

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

fuji_x-pro_2.thumb.jpg.deaec8ba91b7f3862

I am really pleased to say the video quality of the X Pro 2 is seriously impressive. It's not 4K but it's enormously satisfying, sharp and detailed.

What's great is that now we can finally shoot moving images with Fuji's superb film-like colour science, without having to worry about image quality.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Same thing as with Samsung though, as nice as the video might appear to be I just don't feel much for buying into their native electronic lens line-up... although there's some true gems in there. And I'm going to want some of that glass around though, especially since its main focus is for stills anyways. Although, you know, it's Fujifilm glass, so most probably it will keep its value quite nicely. Do feel that it's a safer and more flexible bet going for Micro Four Thirds or E-mount camera bodies with affordable and plenty third party lenses as well as adaptability with electronic adapters and focal reducers. But yeah, there's something to say for a stills heavy hybrid camera with solid 1080p video and great organic, yet detailed, rendering.

Looks pretty good, will be interesting to see what the noise and DR is like across the ISO range. Fuji colors are amazing and the lens lineup is something every Sony owner can only dream about, but video has always been incredibly disappointing. I have no interest in the hybrid VF either after owning the Xpro1 and the X100, so the Xpro2 is a no go for me as I don't want to pay a significant premium for something I never use.

I'm hoping that the little nugget Fuji dropped - stating that the new processor is 4k capable - might mean good things for the XT2. I fear Sony is going to mostly produce large/heavy/expensive lenses for the FE lineup like the 35/1.4, 90 macro and any rumored F/2.8 zooms since they seem to be driving profits along with the relentless FF body release schedule.

In Sony-land the aps-c lens lineup seems to be at an endpoint as they've released nothing in the last couple years, which leaves me at a crossroad for my small body/lens travel kit. There are just so many attractive options in the X-mount. I'm not going smaller than aps-c, had high hopes for the NX1 but the lenses kept me from going all in there. Maybe Fuji can make it happen, maybe...

would be rather exciting if they decided to offer 10bit prores 422 / LT.  Similar to Leica, they don;t have a professional broadcast / cinema range to protect by crippling this.  Though I wouldn;t be surprised if Sony made it a condition that the sensor can;t be used in such a way.    

Except, there are two major players in on the format and quite a bit of third party offerings as well. So, it's just massive choice.

Who else besides Fujifilm is here? Yeah, sure, the same multi-mount optics by Rokinon/Samyang/Walimex. Oddball multi-mount Lens Baby and Zeiss perhaps.

And I know there are Fujifilm focal reducers. Just not for the Samsung I mentioned. But for both, to my knowledge, there aren't any electronic adapters, which is my main issue.

All in all, I'm not sure if they have a compelling enough product to make me spend money to get a Fujifilm on the side or make the complete switch for that matter.

• Administrators

Hey Andrew, when you say that film simulation doesn't work in video mode do you mean the film grain simulation only or also the film color modes?

Typo sorry, meant film grain simulation. The film simulation (colour, contrast) modes are alive and well in video mode like I said at the top of the post, that's one of the main reasons for getting it!

well, lets just hope it translates into the XE2S as well.

It really depends since the X-E2s doens't share neither the same sensor or processor, so it really comes down to how they are processing it, but if the hardware affects it, which it probably does, at least for the processor - different codec and pipeline - the X-E2s might not have the same IQ.

So this day has come... who would thought that? Even more Fuji doing so BEFORE Olympus.

Fuji said that they want this to be more of a photographer camera, rightfully so, and that they were reserving the 4K capabilities for another line up, having the X-E2s being announced with it, easy to tell that the next X-T1 might get it.

It would be interesting if Fuji who usually listen to consumers via their Kaizen, if they would add the grain simulation to the camera or even via software to do on your computer or maybe you can apply it in the camera after the shot - which is a possibility if they think that doing so in real-time to be too much.

I would really like to see how Fuji will evolve from this. With Fuji's colour science you can use shots right off the camera without the need of a lot of color correction on it, but then Fuji can bring their own flat profile and make things even more interesting. But I wonder if with 8-bit files, a good colour science might not top the need of a flat/log profile, since 10-bit files would be much more adequate for taking real advantage of a log profile. But if Fuji could provide both, then it would be a killer. But it might be too much to expect from the next X-T1, but who knows?

I've had 2x FujiFilm XF1 cameras (two because one I took out drinking... the other got broken by a friend on set by accident), because I reckon at only US$150 each they do provide the best value point and shoot  experience!! (and RX100 is just too pricey, though I want one!! Maybe in another year or two, when the RX100 mk1 drops even further in price)

And now I'm onto my third FujiFilm!! A FujiFilm XQ1, which i got for the usual price I pay for an XF1. Gaining WiFi is nice :-D

Can the X-PRO2 output clean HDMI for external recording???

How would you compare the new X-PRO2 to the Nikon D750 for video? I have been hanging on to my D750 mainly for video, but have built up an 11 lens kit bag for Fuji for still photography. Would the X-PRO2, allow me to say good bye to Nikon and shoot Fuji? I usually record externally to an Atomos Ninja Blade, and would like to know if I can do that also with the X-PRO2?

Thanks in advance,

I don't think Sony will only supply outdated sensor to its customers. Whether Fuji gets a new or old or even custom designed sensor is decided by Fuji and not Sony.

If Sony only wants to give Fuji old sensors, Fuji will sure find another supplier, they're not dumb enough to ruin their flagship cameras and Sony is not dumb enough to do that.

So this day has come... who would thought that? Even more Fuji doing so BEFORE Olympus.

Come on, this is not true. Just because Fuji released a camera that is not useless for video does not mean they are doing a lot. The new sensor has a faster readout so they managed to reduce a bit the aliasing by reading few more lines in order to create the 1080p footage.  It still has a a lot of aliasing,  no flat profile and no mic input. Moreover Olympus has the IBIS that makes it a unique camera.  Not to mention an E-M1ii with 4K in few months :)

Also Olympus had the guts to release promos shot on their cameras, whereas Fuji used A7sii:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/small-curiosity-x-pro-2-image-film-shot-with-te-a7sii/

Anyways, its great to have any improvement on the video side, so you can get something that is at least usable. 

I've had 2x FujiFilm XF1 cameras (two because one I took out drinking... the other got broken by a friend on set by accident), because I reckon at only US$150 each they do provide the best value point and shoot  experience!! (and RX100 is just too pricey, though I want one!! Maybe in another year or two, when the RX100 mk1 drops even further in price)

And now I'm onto my third FujiFilm!! A FujiFilm XQ1, which i got for the usual price I pay for an XF1. Gaining WiFi is nice :-D

light off topic. did you find the XF1 dyanmic range abit better than the XQ1? im using the XQ2 and i was told the XF1 is actually better (with Raw) at recovering highlights.