New Varicam announcement next month

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's definitely a new Varicam Camera. And he 35 is still in infancy to replace or upgrade, so 100% a lower end Varicam Camera.

From the image, it has the same top handle as the Varicam35, has a definitely smaller size (handle and mount as reference), but is a boxy design without the fancy side stuff based on the Varicam V Logo and length. The mount seems to show the Positive Lock mechanism of the 35, could be PL but I don't think they'll go PL. 

Change cinema- forever... Is a pretty big claim. Yes marketing talk is BS but gives an idea on what the product is aimed at. And change means a very low price Varicam 35 or a hugely upgraded Varicam with a 65mm sensor or so. No other interpretation. Most likely the former. 

Varicam 35 sensor in a smaller body but still higher-end than AF100 body.

My best guess: A Varicam 35 sensor camera in the 10.000$-20.000$ FS7/C300/RAVEN competition. 

''Mobile cinema acquisition is about to change… forever. Join us for the unveiling of the newest addition to the Panasonic VariCam lineup of cinema cameras.''

1- Smaller than current 

2- A new Varicam line-up camera definitely not something else.

It's definitely a new Varicam Camera. And he 35 is still in infancy to replace or upgrade, so 100% a lower end Varicam Camera.

From the image, it has the same top handle as the Varicam35, has a definitely smaller size (handle and mount as reference), but is a boxy design without the fancy side stuff based on the Varicam V Logo and length. The mount seems to show the Positive Lock mechanism of the 35, could be PL but I don't think they'll go PL. 

Change cinema- forever... Is a pretty big claim. Yes marketing talk is BS but gives an idea on what the product is aimed at. And change means a very low price Varicam 35 or a hugely upgraded Varicam with a 65mm sensor or so. No other interpretation. Most likely the former. 

Varicam 35 sensor in a smaller body but still higher-end than AF100 body.

My best guess: A Varicam 35 sensor camera in the 10.000$-20.000$ FS7/C300/RAVEN competition. 

''Mobile cinema acquisition is about to change… forever. Join us for the unveiling of the newest addition to the Panasonic VariCam lineup of cinema cameras.''

1- Smaller than current 

2- A new Varicam line-up camera definitely not something else.

Yeah I hope it's not a gimbal version of the Varicam 35. They really need something in that FS7,C300,Raven,URSA range.

Haha! True.

Well BMD is the exception here though.

But for the rest of them a basic box means it is a fancy camera which will need expensive rigging and a team of ACs to run it.

Vs a camera like the FS5 / DX200 is more "grab and go" as it is.

Hope this is more at FS5 / DVX200 pricing but I'm almost certain it is not.

We've got a while to wait before they bring out a Varicam with a MFT mount!! If it will even ever happen. 

Finally!

Above the GH4, Panasonic have...what...the top end Varicam? That's in Red Epic/Alexa territory. Massive gap to fill. 

• Administrators

PSCI-1577-mast.thumb.jpg.6aecc36084a006f

Looks nice and small to me.

Bit of a strange announcement date, 2 months from NAB (why not do it at the show?)

Shame they don't take that sensor and put it in a more affordable camera for a bigger market though, I have a feeling the price will be enormous.

Unfortunately Panasonic will botch this. Either will be priced too high to be truly competitive, or affordable but too handicapped. Companies with high end cameras can't do anything truly innovative, their hands are tied. Though they do have a huge gap to fill, what can they offer that would be an improvement over GH4 and not undercut their highend cams?

It may not be a gimbal version of the V35. If you look on Panasonic's site they have modular setups for gimbal work with the V35.

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/varicam/35/config.html

Maybe a gimbal version that is less clunky and more self contained??

Unfortunately Panasonic will botch this. Either will be priced too high to be truly competitive, or affordable but too handicapped. Companies with high end cameras can't do anything truly innovative, their hands are tied. Though they do have a huge gap to fill, what can they offer that would be an improvement over GH4 and not undercut their highend cams?

All Panasonic needs to do is release a DVX200 without the lens on it (a plain MFT mount instead) and 422 10bit 4K/UHD internal. Heaps and heaps of GH2/GH3/GH4 and AF100 owners would be very very excited over this! Surely Panasonic could do it at the same price too (a little over US$4k) as the current DVX200 because they won't need to make a lens for it. (but would be very nice if they developed a 14-90mm f/4 to go with it (like how Sony has a 18-105mm f/4 as the kit lens for the FS5, or Canon & Sigma has their 24-105mm f/4 lens, and Nikon has their 24-120mm f/4 lens)

This would make it a very serious challenger then in the entry mid market!! (vs Sony FS5 or Canon C100 mk1/mk2 or anything from BMD)

They wouldn't have to even do anything else than remove the lens and give 10bit 4K! However these extras would be nice...  cream on top of an already delicious dish:

a) allow up to 60fps for 4K and not just 60fps for UHD (seems strange that it can do 60fps UHD but only 24p for 4K!!)

b) an extra SDI out or two, as only having one SDI out is cutting it a bit thin.

c) full sensor for 4K/UHD (no crop, like FHD).

d) the complete set of tools: focus peaking / histograms / zebras / waveforms / vectorscope

e) can load custom LUTs (for internal recording or the VF or to apply over the HDMI/SDI out)

If it does all of a/b/c/d/e then Panasonic could even be nipping at the heals of FS7 and C300 mk2. (wouldn't be able to beat them, but would be able to provide a large chunk of their functionality at a significantly lower cost)

PSCI-1577-mast.thumb.jpg.6aecc36084a006f

Looks nice and small to me.

Bit of a strange announcement date, 2 months from NAB (why not do it at the show?)

Shame they don't take that sensor and put it in a more affordable camera for a bigger market though, I have a feeling the price will be enormous.

I stared at the Image for a little while, and Voila !!!

Panasonic_AG_AF100_AG_AF100_Micro_Four_T

I feel the FS200 has arrived !!! 

With Vlog. Which is superb, since it had some issues with sharpness and codec. 

Maybe a gimbal version that is less clunky and more self contained??

All Panasonic needs to do is release a DVX200 without the lens on it (a plain MFT mount instead) and 422 10bit 4K/UHD internal. Heaps and heaps of GH2/GH3/GH4 and AF100 owners would be very very excited over this! Surely Panasonic could do it at the same price too (a little over US$4k) as the current DVX200 because they won't need to make a lens for it. (but would be very nice if they developed a 14-90mm f/4 to go with it (like how Sony has a 18-105mm f/4 as the kit lens for the FS5, or Canon & Sigma has their 24-105mm f/4 lens, and Nikon has their 24-120mm f/4 lens)

This would make it a very serious challenger then in the entry mid market!! (vs Sony FS5 or Canon C100 mk1/mk2 or anything from BMD)

They wouldn't have to even do anything else than remove the lens and give 10bit 4K! However these extras would be nice...  cream on top of an already delicious dish:

a) allow up to 60fps for 4K and not just 60fps for UHD (seems strange that it can do 60fps UHD but only 24p for 4K!!)

b) an extra SDI out or two, as only having one SDI out is cutting it a bit thin.

c) full sensor for 4K/UHD (no crop, like FHD).

d) the complete set of tools: focus peaking / histograms / zebras / waveforms / vectorscope

e) can load custom LUTs (for internal recording or the VF or to apply over the HDMI/SDI out)

If it does all of a/b/c/d/e then Panasonic could even be nipping at the heals of FS7 and C300 mk2. (wouldn't be able to beat them, but would be able to provide a large chunk of their functionality at a significantly lower cost)

I wish the lens were Faster though, like an f2.8 (or f2.0) Zoom, since M4/3rd have issues with low light anyway. And a servo zoom. The M4/3rd range only lacks that IMHO.