budget "cinematic" small sensor?

Liam

was thinking about b-cameras recently. Sort of think a small sensor (1" or smaller even) camera would be helpful sometimes. wasn't sure if there was something decent that most people just wouldn't have paid attention to because it's not technically a proper camera. my needs are pretty few.

not oversharpened

fairly gradable

decent zoom range

manual controls (or at least "lock" option)

720-180p resolution

no huge aliasing problems etc.

maybe decent auto controls

maybe decent iso performance

my A-camera is a t3i, so.. clearly not TOO picky. rx100 would probably get the most love? wasn't sure if something more in the range of like a canon powershot secretly had all this, and might match better to a canon dslr? I'm in no hurry, still researching, and might not even buy if I find it, but curious. any input would be appreciated

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sony and Panasonic seem to got what it takes. If you can, I'd say LX100 all the way. Just depends on your budget, but RX100 isn't supercheap or anything. Not sure what those recent Panasonic LX100-like cameras sell for, they might interest you. Recently I picked up a Nikon S9900 for just a little over 200 EUR as a travel cam (plenty zoom flexibility, vari-angle screen, nice bridge between LX100 and FZ1000). Video's not is definitely not as great as the Panasonics (and the zoom mechanism is very very loud). Guess if you want small and zoom 1/2.3" is it. But then you get the accompanied compact look, with low dynamic range and everything. Mainly gotten it for stills anyways as the crop helps with tele and keeping the subject in focus. For video you might want to avoid 1/2.3". 1" or bigger is pretty nice. This is a nice overview of cameras that generally would be interesting: http://geizhals.eu/?cat=dcam&asuch=&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu&plz=&dist=&mail=&bl1_id=30&sort=n&xf=86_0.55~70_3 .

- kinda thinking about it... recently I saw a pretty decent GM1 kit deal. I'd rather get something like that as B cam. Might be some nice deals to be found in your area as well.

yeah, don't think I could handle 4k on my computer.. it struggles with my current footage /: and like.. $300 or less is maybe what I was thinking. gm1, another t3i, lx100 sure, sounds cool, buuut, idk I kind of like the 2/3" sensor look when everything is in focus. I was looking at the f23 for a while (super expensive, not a chance I'd get it ha) but it's interesting. nx500 too, even cropping into the small crop factor 4k is interesting to me for the depth of field you get, etc. but I was also looking for something super cheap, and thought those might have overlapped at some point pretty well. like didn't know if a powershot once had matched the t3i image quality, with manual controls, but just no one hesitated to jump to the larger sensor. probably not

yeah, don't think I could handle 4k on my computer.. it struggles with my current footage /: and like.. $300 or less is maybe what I was thinking. gm1, another t3i, lx100 sure, sounds cool, buuut, idk I kind of like the 2/3" sensor look when everything is in focus. I was looking at the f23 for a while (super expensive, not a chance I'd get it ha) but it's interesting. nx500 too, even cropping into the small crop factor 4k is interesting to me for the depth of field you get, etc. but I was also looking for something super cheap, and thought those might have overlapped at some point pretty well. like didn't know if a powershot once had matched the t3i image quality, with manual controls, but just no one hesitated to jump to the larger sensor. probably not

If you downsample the 4K to 1080 before you bring it into the nle, there shouldn't be an issue. 

Because the GM1 only allows 50p in 720p. Lens is the Voigtländer 25mm paired with those great Tiffen Ultra Contrast filters.

Gotcha, I thought I read it shoots 60i at 1080. Either way it looks nice. That voigtlander looks excellent. If I'm ever in the market for more expensive lenses... I will be looking into them. Those Tiffen filters look like a great idea... I never knew they existed. What strength are you using?

Gotcha, I thought I read it shoots 60i at 1080. Either way it looks nice. That voigtlander looks excellent. If I'm ever in the market for more expensive lenses... I will be looking into them. Those Tiffen filters look like a great idea... I never knew they existed. What strength are you using?

There was a very good topic on those a while back:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7284-tiffen-ultra-low-contrast-filters/?page=1 ;)