how to proxy edit in Premiere at lower resolutions?

sandro

Hi,
now that Premiere supports h.265 I'm far away from my modern desktop PC which could handle 4k editing and I'm stuck with my slow notebook and I need to edit these 4k nx1 files. Even though my CPU supports h.265 HW decoding Premiere does not so not even the simple playback is possible.
I tried to convert in 4k prores and h.264 but the result is similar, I was thinking to edit in maybe 720p mpeg2, the problem is AFAIK Premiere has always caused problems with proxies for projects at different resolutions. I remember that if you create a 720p project with 720p proxy files than you can't later convert it in 4k with 4k native files the opposite goes if you edit 720p files in a 4k project (upscaled) and then replace the footage, you would create problems with effects like warp stabilizer.

So do you have suggestions?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wrap stabilizer cannot work with proxies of different resolution. You can do all the editing with proxies and apply the warp stabilizer at the end after you moved to the original files. 

I haven't experienced any other issues with lower resolution proxies. Is there anything else?

Wrap stabilizer cannot work with proxies of different resolution. You can do all the editing with proxies and apply the warp stabilizer at the end after you moved to the original files. 

I haven't experienced any other issues with lower resolution proxies. Is there anything else?

If you set an upscale won't it upscale also the original files when you replace them?

If you set an upscale won't it upscale also the original files when you replace them?

upscale works on percentage so yes it will but why would you want to do that?

I believe that warp stabilizer works on the original footage so you won't ve able to upscale 1080p to 4k, use warp and then replace footage.

Hi,
now that Premiere supports h.265...I'm stuck with my slow notebook and I need to edit these 4k nx1 files...the problem is AFAIK Premiere has always caused problems with proxies for projects at different resolutions...you would create problems with effects like warp stabilizer.

4K can be challenging to edit, regardless of hardware or software. I use both FCPX and Premiere CC, and FCPX has a major advantage with integrated proxy support.

However you can edit off-line lower-res proxy files using a manual procedure on Premiere. People do this all the time. The procedure is outlined in this article by Tony Northrup:

http://www.rangefinderonline.com/features/how-to/Getting-Acquainted-with-Offline-Video-Editing-to-Ease-You-Into-4K-8988.shtml 

As already stated, defer things like stabilization and noise reduction to the final phase after you've switched back to 4K.