Have to Buy A New Camera- D5300 or D750?

Dustin

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

@ Ebrahim: 
Would you choose your tweaked Standard PP over the Flat PP on the D750? 

nope I'd choose flat it's great. Increases dynamic range by more than a stop vs. standard flat and maintains good high saturation. Flat is great!

Some frames. Here's straight off the card with flat profile. D5300. Graded and sharpened it's pretty great HD. See can be pushed pretty hard much more than D5200 image. 

Image1.thumb.jpg.ee5a9f368b6e2704bedd3ae

Image4.thumb.jpg.dfba29d8ff1d5f8d3ea1845

It's a pretty good HD image on the D5300 especially at standard with zero sharpening and -4 contrast. Not C100 but not 700D. 

I'm gonna try out this profile you've made. I'm still renting a d5300. When you said "color:-2" you meant hue right? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes but this last one is a bit subjective. I really think the camera has a green bias. And by giving a negative hue the image (especially skin) goes more towards natural red. It's a slight colour tweak that really improves the image, as is shifting the AWB towards red/orange just by two steps in the colour matrix (Menu:Shooting Menu:WhiteBalance:AWB:Press right:Shift the center point two steps to the right). Combining these give an identical skin colour to my Canon 60D/5D (they're quite warmer than Nikon with AWB and standard PP. 

Just make sure sharpness is at 0 not A, contrast as well, and Saturation at -2. Don't touch brightness I have no idea what the hell it's doing in the PP menu. 

Remember the image is going to look bad on the LCD compared to shooting Standard Standard non tweaked or Vivid, it's in post where it sings when tou precisely put your contrast curve and add your saturation just as much as YOU want. 

I am still shooting the D5200 vs D5300 today so will post. (The store is asking me to find the best camera to recommend to buyers for photo/video and I am deciding between the two, the D5300 is winning me over so far because of the shadow banding issue)

I will try to post some screen grabs of my experience using this profile! I shot some this morning but I realized I had it slightly wrong compared to what you said. So whenever I get a chance I will post. From the wrong but tweaked standard profile I shot on, it does seem to allow for some light grading. I'm using Premiere Pro CC 2015. Should I first use the Nikon d800 input lut or the universal SL lut before adding a creative lut?

Ok so after doing some testing and I'm still testing, I still think flaat 11/10 yields better results, but I also don't think this camera is obviously meant for intense heading, just light grading. I think the stock profile isn't even that bad either. Sure it's a baked look, but with the right lens and lighting it works

I've used all three cameras for the past 3 years for music videos and I can guarantee you the D750 is a way better investment, Low light is better on the D750 and so is the overall image quality in terms of video, for Photography it just plain blows the D5200 and the D5300 out of the water.

For video just be very careful not to tinker too much with the camera settings and profiles because to my experience if the lighting conditions aren't very favorable the Flat profile just works against you, its much safer working with the Neutral profile.

Here's something i shot with the D5300: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAjgLI1HQ8
Shot with D750: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw5jh_a8s6k

It might be hard to tell them apart from the videos but trust me the D750 images are much better to work with.

Ok so after doing some testing and I'm still testing, I still think flaat 11/10 yields better results, but I also don't think this camera is obviously meant for intense heading, just light grading. I think the stock profile isn't even that bad either. Sure it's a baked look, but with the right lens and lighting it works

From memory using Flaat 10 is pointless (by admission of Samuel Hurtado who made it - I chatted with him a bit on DVX when I had my D5300) you might as well just use the standard profiles. Flaat 12 and 13 start destroying the image, so basically just stick with Flaat 11 if you want maximum DR.

I just remembered I think that Flaat 13 isn't in the standard set (?). I think Samuel sent it via email for me to try. I may still have it somewhere if anyone wants to play with it but it's really quite pointless IMO - very noisy in a really ugly way.

From memory using Flaat 10 is pointless (by admission of Samuel Hurtado who made it - I chatted with him a bit on DVX when I had my D5300) you might as well just use the standard profiles. Flaat 12 and 13 start destroying the image, so basically just stick with Flaat 11 if you want maximum DR.

I just remembered I think that Flaat 13 isn't in the standard set (?). I think Samuel sent it via email for me to try. I may still have it somewhere if anyone wants to play with it but it's really quite pointless IMO - very noisy in a really ugly way.

So If I get a d5500 with the flat profile, then I can lightly color grade relatively non-destructively? Or is it still pointless. I mean for the price I'm looking at I could actually get a g7 and a cheap speedbooster for not much more than 600. Sorry if this seems like this post is turning into a rant. I'm testing a rental d5300 while I wait for my d5200 to return. When it does, broken or not - I will use that to fund a new camera

So If I get a d5500 with the flat profile, then I can lightly color grade relatively non-destructively? Or is it still pointless. I mean for the price I'm looking at I could actually get a g7 and a cheap speedbooster for not much more than 600. Sorry if this seems like this post is turning into a rant. I'm testing a rental d5300 while I wait for my d5200 to return. When it does, broken or not - I will use that to fund a new camera

I owned a G6 and a D5300 at the same time. I now own a GH4 (and BMPCC). There's something nice about Nikon colours and the full S35 sensor is nice, but overall the G6 was simply the superior video camera (IMO). The D5300 is a pain in the neck to shoot with and by today's standards not that impressive in image quality. You have to expose by guesswork based on the LCD screen - it works pretty well but not exactly ideal. I sold my D5300 and G6 to buy the GH4 and I haven't looked back. Personally I think the GH4/G7 sensor  & colour science is a step toward the Nikon look from the G6. Actually I miss the G6 more than the D5300 (that GH2 sensor still has something unique about it). For stills the D5300 is far superior - but then you absolutely need modern AF lenses (AF-D don't work), which aren't any good for video really. Panasonic's cameras aren't perfect but they are made for shooting video on and that counts for so much in my book. The G7 is a great stills camera too.

To placate the D5300 fans here (of which I very much was one and still am to some extent), I do think that if you're mainly shooting portraits with shallow depth of field and wide, deep DoF shots are not important, then the D5300 is great choice. And yes you can absolutely work with the usability issues. But for my work it was too problematic and the soft wide shots made it not very versatile, so I just wasn't using it much. It says a lot that I now have my BMPCC rigged to be infinitely easier to use than the D5300 ever could be. But horses for courses ...

I'm now really not sure what to do... perhaps I should keep the d5200 or upgrade to a d5300 then save for a used gh3/new g7? Hmmm. For interviews, I find the d5xxx picture to be just fine. But say I wanted to shoot a short and color correct obviously that really doesn't work on the d5300/5200.

I owned a G6 and a D5300 at the same time. I now own a GH4 (and BMPCC). There's something nice about Nikon colours and the full S35 sensor is nice, but overall the G6 was simply the superior video camera (IMO). The D5300 is a pain in the neck to shoot with and by today's standards not that impressive in image quality. You have to expose by guesswork based on the LCD screen - it works pretty well but not exactly ideal. I sold my D5300 and G6 to buy the GH4 and I haven't looked back. Personally I think the GH4/G7 sensor  & colour science is a step toward the Nikon look from the G6. Actually I miss the G6 more than the D5300 (that GH2 sensor still has something unique about it). For stills the D5300 is far superior - but then you absolutely need modern AF lenses (AF-D don't work), which aren't any good for video really. Panasonic's cameras aren't perfect but they are made for shooting video on and that counts for so much in my book. The G7 is a great stills camera too.

To placate the D5300 fans here (of which I very much was one and still am to some extent), I do think that if you're mainly shooting portraits with shallow depth of field and wide, deep DoF shots are not important, then the D5300 is great choice. And yes you can absolutely work with the usability issues. But for my work it was too problematic and the soft wide shots made it not very versatile, so I just wasn't using it much. It says a lot that I now have my BMPCC rigged to be infinitely easier to use than the D5300 ever could be. But horses for courses ...

Wait on another thread you said flaat 11 was fine and you could grade the crap out of it so you're saying its not really that good to use? Just trying to clarify lol

Wait on another thread you said flaat 11 was fine and you could grade the crap out of it so you're saying its not really that good to use? Just trying to clarify lol

Not sure what I said here to contradict that - Flaat 11 is fine (as far as profiles on the D5300 go - it doesn't turn it into a different camera it just gives a touch more dynamic range). Regarding grading, I was speaking relatively - for a 24 Mbps 1080p 8 bit image it holds together surprisingly well. But it's no match for 4K on a GH4/G7 and on a different planet to a BMPCC. 

Not sure what I said here to contradict that - Flaat 11 is fine (as far as profiles on the D5300 go - it doesn't turn it into a different camera it just gives a touch more dynamic range). Regarding grading, I was speaking relatively - for a 24 Mbps 1080p 8 bit image it holds together surprisingly well. But it's no match for 4K on a GH4/G7 and on a different planet to a BMPCC. 

gotcha! (It's been a long day man lol) Well I think it will ultimately come down to budget/needs for me. I'm still gonna get a d5300 but as I'm getting more into video I'm probably gonna get a more video friendly camera in a little bit for my own use. Thanks everyone for the help!! This is like one of the few websites.