is a7RII picky with the SD cards?

timpy

I own two Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb 95MB/s that I've be using with the pocket for three years now. I tried them on the a7RII 4K 100mbps (12MB/s) and the camera wouldn't let me use them because they are not U3 (they are the old model, U1). Kind of annoying, but fair enough. Lets try another ones.

Then I got off Amazon two Sandisk Extreme 64gb U3 60MB/s (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Memory-Read-SDSDXN-064G-G46-Version/dp/B00MBFPT3A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452763432&sr=8-2&keywords=sandisk+extreme+64+60) ) and the camera keeps saying exactly the same thing. I formatted the cards in camera, on my PC, reset camera settings, updating to v3 firmware... nothing. Also checked the cards on my usb3 reader and got 63MB/s read and 49MB/s write. Constant.

What the hell? The camera just needs 12MB/s to record 4K and I'm using a SDXC U3 64gb card that is capable of writing 49MB/s?

Could someone please tell me which are the good cards (that don't cost me an arm) to record 4K on this bloody camera?

Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As do I in the 256gb flavor with no issues. However, regardless of the card you use, if you are shooting 14bit uncompressed raw (85mb ~ each), you will fill the buffer very quickly, and it can take up to 30 seconds or more to complete writing to the card.