Does it worth to upgrade to Zeiss Distagon?

JazzBox

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Zeiss C/Y lenses on speedboosters are a superb option I use alot , I made a full set of f2.8 Zeiss C/Y lens - yes the f2.8 versions so on the speedbooster they are f2 when fully wide open - and thats how I use them wide open , the glass in these lenses is identical formula that is in the Zeiss Super Speed cinema lenses and Zeiss Ultra Primes - the guys on RED USER have done loads of A/B tests and its identical , so for me as I like to shoot f2 max  the f2.8 Zeiss C/Y lens are amazing .

Cinema quility glass at affordable prices - I went for 25, 28 35, 45, 50 , 85 . 135mm

Zeiss C/Y lenses on speedboosters are a superb option I use alot , I made a full set of f2.8 Zeiss C/Y lens - yes the f2.8 versions so on the speedbooster they are f2 when fully wide open - and thats how I use them wide open , the glass in these lenses is identical formula that is in the Zeiss Super Speed cinema lenses and Zeiss Ultra Primes - the guys on RED USER have done loads of A/B tests and its identical , so for me as I like to shoot f2 max  the f2.8 Zeiss C/Y lens are amazing .

Cinema quility glass at affordable prices - I went for 25, 28 35, 45, 50 , 85 . 135mm

I just bought my first Contax Zeiss. I picked up the 50mm 1.7 Planar. I haven't gotten a chance to test her out yet though. I recently picked up the Nikon AI 28mm f2 and I am not sure if I have ever used a nicer lens... Even with its squeaky focus ring. I also picked up the Rokkor-X 28mm f2. F2 lenses are my favorite, they just ooze cinema. 

I just bought my first Contax Zeiss. I picked up the 50mm 1.7 Planar. I haven't gotten a chance to test her out yet though. I recently picked up the Nikon AI 28mm f2 and I am not sure if I have ever used a nicer lens... Even with its squeaky focus ring. I also picked up the Rokkor-X 28mm f2. F2 lenses are my favorite, they just ooze cinema. 

Comparison of those two 28 2, please :)

These nikkors have a special first element designed for good close up performance (CRC), I first thought this was some marketing gag from the time, but It's really true. When you photograph something rather close, like less than 2 meters, it will pop. I have the nikkor 35 2, the first version (the newer ones changed and aren't that nice), and it has some kind of 3D feel on people close ups. The only thing is that they have bad corners in these situations on far out of focus things on FF, but you won't see that when cropping to 1.85:1 or 2.35:1, or using s35 crop.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all, 
after some research I found 3 nice Zeiss in Contax Yashica mount: 25 f/2.8, 25 f/2.8 and 50 f/1.7, all in mint condition.
Apart the 25, I had the other two for a bargain price, and the 50 was a new old stock.

I'm very happy with those lenses, I like them a little more then the FD I had (also super nice lenses).
Do you think there are some other lenses that it worth to have from Zeiss CY? Any zoom?

Thank you very much!

JazzBox, try the contax zeiss 35-70mm, 3.5..... its super sharp and has a bit of a cult following in the stills world ... I usually use it like two primes at the short or long end plus it has a handy macro function.

P

I'll search it! ;)

I recently picked up the 50mm 1.7 and it is a nice piece of glass. I hope you enjoy yours!!!

Thank you very much!!! 

Does it worth to have both 25 and 28? I tried quickly both and I went for the 25 just because I use it with my GH4, but if it worth to have both I can have for a very cheap price. Thank you!! 

Does it worth to have both 25 and 28? I tried quickly both and I went for the 25 just because I use it with my GH4, but if it worth to have both I can have for a very cheap price. Thank you!! 

Maybe at some point, but focus on getting a full range of primes first. 25, 35, 50, 85 is a solid kit that'll cover basically anything.

Maybe at some point, but focus on getting a full range of primes first. 25, 35, 50, 85 is a solid kit that'll cover basically anything.

Thanks TheReinassanceMen!

That range of primes would cover pretty much everything you need and great quality. I also like the look of the 135mm 2.8, it is not supposed to be the best in the contax range but I really like it on the GH4 when shooting at a distance and you can pick it up cheap.

P

I'll try it!! Thank you!!

I'll search it! ;)

Thank you very much!!! 

yes 25 and 28 are quite different and I use both , worth having - PS did I tell you this glass is just the best - very very good !!

On January 16, 2016 at 6:29 AM, araucaria said:

Comparison of those two 28 2, please :)

These nikkors have a special first element designed for good close up performance (CRC), I first thought this was some marketing gag from the time, but It's really true. When you photograph something rather close, like less than 2 meters, it will pop. I have the nikkor 35 2, the first version (the newer ones changed and aren't that nice), and it has some kind of 3D feel on people close ups. The only thing is that they have bad corners in these situations on far out of focus things on FF, but you won't see that when cropping to 1.85:1 or 2.35:1, or using s35 crop.

Somehow I missed this post... Sorry.  But yes, I remember reading about the CRC and it really is amazing. The Minolta is equally as amazing but has a little cooler of a look to it. My copy of the Minolta is in better shape, but I can't say for sure which one I like better optically. Of course I just picked up the Tak 35mm f2 lens as well and that bastard is an awesome little lens too. I am starting to think I may just shoot future projects with a single lens. That's how much I like these... I just need a lot of projects. 

Nikkor 28mm f2

image.jpeg

Minolta 28mm f2

image.jpeg

Super Takumar 35mm f2

image.jpeg

16 hours ago, mercer said:

Somehow I missed this post... Sorry.  But yes, I remember reading about the CRC and it really is amazing. The Minolta is equally as amazing but has a little cooler of a look to it. My copy of the Minolta is in better shape, but I can't say for sure which one I like better optically. Of course I just picked up the Tak 35mm f2 lens as well and that bastard is an awesome little lens too. I am starting to think I may just shoot future projects with a single lens. That's how much I like these... I just need a lot of projects. 

Nikkor 28mm f2

image.jpeg

Minolta 28mm f2

image.jpeg

Super Takumar 35mm f2

image.jpeg

Here's a sample from that old CRC nikkor-o 35 2 pre-ai, I love the pop but notice the strange bokeh in the corners.

nikkor-o_35_f2_pre-ai.thumb.jpg.8791f836

2 minutes ago, araucaria said:

Here's a sample from that old CRC nikkor-o 35 2 pre-ai, I love the pop but notice the strange bokeh in the corners.

nikkor-o_35_f2_pre-ai.thumb.jpg.8791f836

Damn, the girl in the foreground, with the black sweater, looks 3D... very cool!!! And yes I notice the bokeh, it's almost a smear, but the foreground pops so much, it's not too distracting. Did you say that is full frame? Is it a still or a grab?

Just now, mercer said:

Damn, the girl in the foreground, with the black sweater, looks 3D... very cool!!! And yes I notice the bokeh, it's almost a smear, but the foreground pops so much, it's not too distracting. Did you say that is full frame? Is it a still or a grab?

That is a still from the d800, fullframe cropped to 16:9

4 minutes ago, araucaria said:

That is a still from the d800, fullframe cropped to 16:9

Gotta love those Nikon colors! Every time I see Nikon footage, clips, or photos I want to go out and buy a D5500. Do you do a lot of post? Once I think I am getting the hang of grading, it seems like I can't duplicate it. So I have just been messing around. 

Just now, mercer said:

Gotta love this Nikon colors! Every time I see Nikon footage, clips, or photos I want to go out and buy a D5500. Do you do a lot of post? Once I think I am getting the hang of grading, it seems like I can't duplicate it. So I have just been messing around. 

Well that's a raw still, so it has nothing to do with nikon beside the lens. I think I used VSCO portra 400 profile on that particular image.