Interesting 35mm vs Digital (Alexa) Comparison

Volker Schmidt

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well that had a shit story and people focused on that. And I think people are more pissed about Jar Jar Binks than the analog look.

It's just bad luck at this point. :)

Here is Rian Johnson on film, director of Starwars Episode VIII. I assume his decision will over throw Yedlin's in that respect. 

"I mean for me, I’ve shot film, I’ll hopefully shoot the next one on film, because I just feel that film is still the highest-quality capturing format that we have, and it’s just the best looking. I tend to bristle a little bit when film gets put in the realm of nostalgia, where that ends up being assigned as its main merit."

It should be noted that the Alexa would probably be the easiest to match with Kodak since it takes a lot of cues from it. Also, most of the film look colorimetry related properties come from printing the negative on release stock, not from the negative itself. The reasons for this are quite deep, but essentially they boil down to negative film being technically more feasible to design without excessive color shifts because the orange mask allows for some clever tricks. Positive/projection films on the other hand don't have this luxury.

Since the two sources in the video are not printed, it is much easier to achieve a decent match by feeding them both into a P3/rec709 output space. Still a great video though, and I do agree with the sentiment behind it.

Great video and I think he really has nailed down a very close match.

Arri just got it so right with the Alexa. No chasing crazy specs, just a pure image that can be matched to film... in a body that would be familiar to film shooters, but very easy to use for digital shooters. They fully deserve their place at the top.

this is the perspective in L.A. from D.P.S to a Producer...and from Colorists..

from Colorists"you save a lot of money with film because it's good right out of the can while a digital job can take months to correct.."

from D.P.S in general what they spoke about...THEY ALL WANT TO WORK WITH FILM (EVEN SUPER 16MM)
For artistic reasons and the beauty of the image...
they also like their vision protected ..and film does that for them..(not so many people looking at monitors..post etc..)

from the Producers...(again in general what they said) Film is cheaper for them then renting a high end digital camera (most film cameras are super cheap)...and not having to spend time with colorists...(which I know because that's where I was working)
when you look at a can of film you are also looking at your archival material and coloring...that saves a lot $$$

whatever you do in your production test first and weigh the costs and the art..and then choose..