4K Workflow

Alex Moreán

Hey guys

So I'm taking my first steps in this 4K world and actually by now all I want to do is shoot 4K and export FHD.

Probably I would reframe some shots and fake some camera movements in post, so what would be the best approach:

- 4K composition + overscaling the footage I want to reframe -> Export in FHD

- FHD composition + downscaling all the 4K footage to fit FHD -> Export in FHD

I have actually noticed that whenever I make a FHD project, stick all the 4k footage and downscale it, everything just slows down so I guess it takes a lot of processing power... I'm I right?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey guys

So I'm taking my first steps in this 4K world and actually by now all I want to do is shoot 4K and export FHD.

Probably I would reframe some shots and fake some camera movements in post, so what would be the best approach:

- 4K composition + overscaling the footage I want to reframe -> Export in FHD

- FHD composition + downscaling all the 4K footage to fit FHD -> Export in FHD

I have actually noticed that whenever I make a FHD project, stick all the 4k footage and downscale it, everything just slows down so I guess it takes a lot of processing power... I'm I right?

Thanks!

Well, you're going to be scaling regardless: scaling up or down. I've done a number of projects with 4K projects delivered as 1080p with downscaling and fake camera moves/zooms, all in 1080p timelines with keyframed scaling/movement. No problems with playback.

I'm not sure what NLE you're using, but if you use Premiere Pro, be sure to select graphics card acceleration, the scaling will be MUCH faster. It will also reduce the render time ENORMOUSLY. I have the GTX 980, which has been good.