RODNEY CHARTERS: BM POCKET CAMERA, 4K ACQUISITION & ALEXA

enny

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, I love stuff like that! Director's takes on gear, techniques and ideas. Have seen Rodney out with the Newsshooter team getting a look at all the new stuff coming out at these tech innovation events and appreciating the somewhat lower end gear as well. Which I think is really cool that established cinematographers maintain to be grounded and open-minded about these things.

Then there's the 'the full Cinematographer Roundtable will air on Close Up With The Hollywood Reporter on Sunday, Jan. 31, at 11 a.m. ET on Sundance TV' which I'm stoked for to see. There's already some snippets up at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/cinematographer-roundtable-cons-cg-betraying-851551 . Those always give great insight on the way cinematographers approach things.

Ooh, only just now I noticed the one with the directors already aired: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/watch-thrs-full-uncensored-director-851649 .

Imagine the big players took their heads out of their anuses, any modern camera could look like an alexa (or almost).

I see comments like this a lot and it always reminds me of the revenge of the great camera shootout 2011 where they compared among other cameras an Iphone and G2 to an Alexa. They had an identical scene set up and the DP could modify it as needed by adding lights or adjusting intensity of the lights that were already there. Yes the G2 and even the Iphone to a degree where made to look pretty good and it showed that a good DP could make them look great. Some took away from that video that even the much cheaper DSLR's could be made to look almost as good as the Alexa, the camera tech doesn't matter it comes down to the talent of the DP.

While true I took a different lesson from it. If you watch the video the Alexa team says that they only adjusted the intensity of the lights that were there to add some contrast to the shot since the camera could handle the scene as it was just fine. The G2 team due to the limitations of the camera went through a long list of like 15-20 changes they made - adding lights, etc... Not to mention the extra time it takes in post as well. Now take that scene and multiply it by 100, all that extra time you spend dealing with the limitations or quirks of the camera. Yes you can make the image look great but it can take a lot of extra effort to do so. 

The big players use cameras like the Alexa because they are rock solid reliable with a flexible and fantastic image. They can spend their time being creative, not trying to over come the limitations of a camera. When you have millions of dollars on the line why risk it only to save some rental money on a quirky or unknown camera when you can use a tried and true proven work horse that you know will get the job done smoothly?

I see comments like this a lot and it always reminds me of the revenge of the great camera shootout 2011 where they compared among other cameras an Iphone and G2 to an Alexa. They had an identical scene set up and the DP could modify it as needed by adding lights or adjusting intensity of the lights that were already there. Yes the G2 and even the Iphone to a degree where made to look pretty good and it showed that a good DP could make them look great. Some took away from that video that even the much cheaper DSLR's could be made to look almost as good as the Alexa, the camera tech doesn't matter it comes down to the talent of the DP.

While true I took a different lesson from it. If you watch the video the Alexa team says that they only adjusted the intensity of the lights that were there to add some contrast to the shot since the camera could handle the scene as it was just fine. The G2 team due to the limitations of the camera went through a long list of like 15-20 changes they made - adding lights, etc... Not to mention the extra time it takes in post as well. Now take that scene and multiply it by 100, all that extra time you spend dealing with the limitations or quirks of the camera. Yes you can make the image look great but it can take a lot of extra effort to do so. 

The big players use cameras like the Alexa because they are rock solid reliable with a flexible and fantastic image. They can spend their time being creative, not trying to over come the limitations of a camera. When you have millions of dollars on the line why risk it only to save some rental money on a quirky or unknown camera when you can use a tried and true proven work horse that you know will get the job done smoothly?

I remember that. Caused quite a stir.

The iphone and the 7D were the ones that noticeably stuck out as worse. Not AWFUL by any stretch, just noticeably softer. 

The GH2 did look good. The third episode, they did reveal the lighting set ups and post time. That's where people came back to reality. It took a lot more tweaking with the lights and tons more post work to make the GH2 look good. 

Still, it was like 50x cheaper. Remarkable, given the price difference. But that security and speed to get a nice shot is worth a lot. 

That was years ago though, and I'd argue that the low end is crushing up into the high end more and more with each passing year. The test would be even closer now. 

Oh lol, I meant canon,nikon,etc... big players opposed to blackmagic.

Looks like I mis-interpreted your post, sorry.

I remember that. Caused quite a stir.

The iphone and the 7D were the ones that noticeably stuck out as worse. Not AWFUL by any stretch, just noticeably softer. 

The GH2 did look good. The third episode, they did reveal the lighting set ups and post time. That's where people came back to reality. It took a lot more tweaking with the lights and tons more post work to make the GH2 look good. 

Still, it was like 50x cheaper. Remarkable, given the price difference. But that security and speed to get a nice shot is worth a lot. 

That was years ago though, and I'd argue that the low end is crushing up into the high end more and more with each passing year. The test would be even closer now. 

In some ways yes, and in other ways not really. 

• Administrators

Nice spot Enny

I wish the Micro Cinema Camera had a form factor similar, with screen... having to add a big one defies the point really doesn't it?

Nice spot Enny

I wish the Micro Cinema Camera had a form factor similar, with screen... having to add a big one defies the point really doesn't it?

I just wish some footage from the illusive camera would show its face!  It seems to be a figment of the black magic marketing teams imagination - it's almost a year since they announced it and nothing to be seen!  I want to see the impact on dr and sensitivity when switched to global shutter mode before i think about putting down a pre order!

• Administrators

I'd prefer if Blackmagic didn't have us hanging around for 12 months in anticipation, each time they announce a camera. They should avoid announcing at NAB and just announce it when it's ready I think. Otherwise, they get a reputation for delays and that's a bit unnecessary. NAB creates a buzz I suppose.

Nice spot Enny

Na. I'm gonna be using a smallHD 501 with mine. An LCD needs a loupe to be usable, and is useless on a gimbal, drone, or POV helmet mount. Even with the 501/sidefinder it's still lighter and more compact than a 5D with a zfinder.

same. going to use a SmallHD 502 and i will like having the versatility to keep the monitor mounted behind the camera when its on sticks, moving it forward when shoulder mounted, or even used with a 15ft HDMI cable to monitor a car-mounted shot from the back seat. :)

Yeah, a loupe/LCD tends to be in a spot only a yogi can reach. I picked up a Nyrius aries prime for the Ronin m, helmet POV monitoring, and any other awkward spot I can think of. The full size HDMI port is a godsend too.

This is half the reason why I got a C100 instead of the 4K options in that price bracket (think GH4 or A7S II). I can make it look the way I want it in camera. I don't need labor-intensive color correction beyond basic gamma and RGB tweaks. I certainly don't need to fool around with LUTs. I grew up shooting on film. I'm comfortable working this way. And needless to say, I find HD perfectly usable for my needs.

The other half is form factor. So nice to have a proper camera with proper XLRs and an ND filter.

I actually just came home from watching The Revenant. Most of it was shot in 2.8K Arriraw on the Alexa M. Some of it was shot in 6K on the new Alexa 65. I couldn't tell which shots were which camera. And that's a massive gap in resolution. In the right hands, resolution is practically irrelevant. That said, I'd rather see what Emmanuel Lubezki could do with a VHS camcorder than what 99% of other DPs can do with a Red Dragon and Master Primes. He's a true wizard.

The worst thing about the Sony cameras is the white balance.  It's just so...off.  Daylight looks like it is 4500K or something. No matter how much you fine tune the custom settings it never (ever) looks correct. 

4k is just a big wank; Japanese consumer electronic marketing hype to sell TVs and camcorders to plebs who don't need new TVs and camcorders. Mad Max Fury Road scenes shot on BMCC, OMD, and 5D https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/community/story/mad-max-michelle

Yet Mad Max will be one of the first UHD Blu Rays released.  Go figure.

Netflix demands 4K and soon other online platforms will as well.  It might not mean much to the filmmakers but it does to the distributors and the platforms where your work could be sold so...there is that.