Secondary camera under $3K budget ?

raf702

Currently my main setup is the GH4 w/Atomos assassin. No complaints with this setup so far. 10-bit 422, etc. what's not to like. 

So I'm trying to stay within $3K USD or under for my next camera setup. 

I don't shoot live events or concerts, so my typical workflow is music videos, shorts, etc.

I do plan to continue waiting on upcoming camera releases for 2016 before I make a decision. But my budget probably wouldn't cover any of the new upcoming cameras anyway.

So I'm on the fence between the 5D3 w/ML Raw, A7S w/assassin or A7SII w/assassin. And I also have a BMCC 2.5K, so that's out of the question. Lol

The 5D3 and A7S can be had for around $1,500-$2,000 on the used market like craigslist, etc. While the A7SII is still at a premium of $3K. And of course I would be using the A7S/A7SII w/assassin without a doubt.

Of the 3, which would be best for overall image quality and workflow. They all have pros/cons but one of these I'm sure is at the top. 

I appreciate any info and feedback from users with experience on the 3.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The A7Sii doesn't output 10 bit so the Assassin wouldn't be a good combo with it. I would pick up a 2.5K BMCC (MFT) with some accessories.

I'm aware of that it doesn't do 10-bit, just 8-bit 422 through the hdmi which isn't too bad. Is it worth using it with my assassin, I don't know.

And I already have a BMCC 2.5K EF, so that's out of the question. And low light is no better than my GH4. 

And I want a better low light capable camera 

I'm aware of that it doesn't do 10-bit, just 8-bit 422 through the hdmi which isn't too bad. Is it worth using it with my assassin, I don't know.

And I already have a BMCC 2.5K EF, so that's out of the question.

Ahh i missed that part about your BMCC. What are you wanting out of the 3rd camera that your others don't do?

Ahh i missed that part about your BMCC. What are you wanting out of the 3rd camera that your others don't do?

I want much better low light capabilities, which my GH4/BMCC doesn't have. And the resolutions 4K/2.5K/1080-raw is not so much my concern cause they all look great in that aspect. 

If you are going to use the Assassin without a doubt then you will not be needing the most important updates of the A7sii which are IBIS and internal 4K, so your best bet is an A7s.  RAW quality is great but I am not fond of the ML/RAW workflow. 

And is the low light performance between the a7s and a7sii significantly different? Then there's the a7s slog2 vs the a7sii slog2/slog3.

And is the low light performance between the a7s and a7sii significantly different? Then there's the a7s slog2 vs the a7sii slog2/slog3.

Sensitivity is slightly better with A7Sii but nothing compared to either of those two models and any other camera. 

Colors are a bit improved too but if you don't use sgammut you should be ok. 

I have yet to see any advantages of the slog3. 

What lenses do you use? The C100 is a good option and offers a lot of features that compliment the GH4, but no use looking at that if it doesn't take your lenses.

Also, FF would be a bigger difference from your MFT crop in terms of look, which would give you more flexibility in terms of different aesthetics you can create. 

You can get an A7S classic for less then $1500 if you're willing to look.

yea seen quite a few go for that price now a days 

A used C100 with DPAF is a good deal these days

Tempting for sure, but prefer the c100 mkii but that's already a $5K cam

What lenses do you use? The C100 is a good option and offers a lot of features that compliment the GH4, but no use looking at that if it doesn't take your lenses.

Also, FF would be a bigger difference from your MFT crop in terms of look, which would give you more flexibility in terms of different aesthetics you can create. 

I got a set of Nikon Nikkor primes 24, 28, 35, 50, 85. And another set of different vintage lenses ranging from Minolta to Super takumar.

I had a 5D2 years back, so I'm familiar with the look and feel a FF has vs a MFT.

• 1 month later...