h.265 archive vs DNxHD (windows)

gethin

Just realised I can now export and use h.265 in my workflow.  I've been slowly exporting my graded and tweaked clips but DNxHD has pretty large file sizes.  Bearing in mind I might need to do a bit more tweaking later (just a little colour balancing stuff probably) and that the vast majority of clips will end up online, is h.265 up to the task?  I'm currently exporting my first test at 50Mbps.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not quite clear what your asking. If you are talking about files to edit with? If that is the case: If you have the horsepower in your system it's always better to edit with native files if you can. Are you asking about archiving? I would suggest the industry standard ProRes or DNxHR for that.

Why not archive everything? Adding the original card to a project archive will be among the smaller files compared to ProRes, effects pre-renders, etc. Seems silly to toss anything.

Unless you guys are archiving on CD-ROMs or something. I just use a drive dock, get the plastic drive boxes, and use 500GB or 1TB raw drives. Every couple months it costs me $50 or so.

Eventually I'll put a server in the garage in a refrigerator or something (they tend to survive fires and minor floods/water leaks, I'm not in a flood/earthquake/hurricane area) and cat-5 it into the system for a 2nd set of archives. But I have a closet with (as of now) 16 raw drives in plastic boxes and do occasionally have to pull a file from one. I never agonize about what to toss, and usually have all the email threads about a gig, bids, contracts, releases, maps, footage, AE and edit files, renders, and a final ProRes 1080 that can be output to any new formats that come along. I keep a spreadsheet with the key folder names so I can find the right drive in a second.

As said, DNxHD is your best bet. 

Even if support for H265 becomes well spread, it will remain a delivery codec not meant for archiving and further processing. 

Now of course it can be done and if the tweaking is small enough there will be no problem, but since storage is so cheap these days my opinion is that you should go with the highest quality.

And just exporting a clip now that is taking FOREVER in h.265, (despite the fact I thought the GTX970 had hardware encoding support)

And to clarify: I want to export clips that I've worked extensively on to a format I can re-use in projects and get decent playback (as opposed to my computer trying to playback 4+k de-noised graded timelapse sequences in realtime :))

Edit: Ohhh, optical flow was why it was taking ages, dnxhd is taking the same time