The Hateful Eight (70mm) - Your reviews?

richg101

I Finally saw the Hateful Eight, and I was seriously disappointed.

For the 1st half of the film:

Cinematography was disappointing, the dialogues for the first 1 half were really bad, the acting was all over the place,  the pace was outright Boring. I was actually contemplating taking a 30 min nap to come to the good part.

Frim Chapter 4 or 5 onwards, the pace picked up, and so did the acting, the story and everything else (even cinematography?). The exterior cinematography was good, but the lighting in the interiors was almost amateurish  (even the coach's lighting). 

The 1st half or atleast a little over 1 hour was very difficult to get through. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Bad lighting.... .. Are we talking about the same movie? ;)

Totally get the movie isn't for everyone but bad lighting is a bit suprising. 

Hahha. I actually didn't mind the grotesque bits (the censor unfortunately cut the bit where Channing Tatums head is blown up).

But I fought the Indoor lighting bad till the last hour or so. Not sure what changed after that (it looked less harsh).

I saw the Danish Girl and the visuals were like a painting. Each frame was a masterpiece 

Ive seen it 5 times now , its a great film one of his best , amazing cinematography , worth seeing just to see the opening vistas

Great story - taking the Agatha Christie murder mystery format and placing it in a different context -

Lots of classic Tarantino split diopter shots too .

Cant quite believe its been so passed over by the Oscar Nominations this year - no that many nominations .....

My guess is that it is because the professionals are not impressed by the same things enthusiasts are.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got to see it! Was surprised to find out they had the Roadshow Version 70mm Ultra Panavision playing here in town (Original Version too!)! I was in that theatre (Gartenbaukino, should anyone care to know, pretty oldschool nostalgic place itself) only once before to see Snowden's Citizen Four.

Amazing experience, I absolutely loved the visual experience and the movie itself. Very Tarantino!

• Administrators

Saw it a few days ago (no 70mm just digital). Grain in 2K digital is crap. Would like to see the 70mm version just for the nicer film grain. Also the digital version is terribly soft on the wide angle shots.

The film - loved every second of it. Yes it's much slower than Django especially first half, very slow build up but the atmosphere is intoxicating. Can't you feel the tension in the build up? Pay attention. Great acting, fantastic dialogue, no good guys vs bad guys - just really bad guys all the way through. So it's not the same kind of movie as Django, they're pretty much all rascals with only some very minor characters who'd I'd say were angels.

Utterly loved the cinematography... it is subtle but there's so much going on - glowing tables lit majestically, stunning backlit coffee smoke and breath in the cold hut, snow flakes hovering like dust in the carriage with sun streaming through the windows, lovely soft rendering of the Panavision anamorphic lenses. Exploding sweet jar, exploding heads, slow-mo chaos the cherry on top.

Fair enough if one couldn't get into the characters or story then all this is isn't going to be the thrill it was to those immersed in the content. It's not to all tastes. My sister for instance loved Django but didn't like this one.

Oh and it's full of humour... didn't feel nearly 3 hours long... it flew by for me. The running joke over the broken door of the cabin was handled superbly... repeated in a different way each time so it stays fresh, and the shout off screen the first time hints to later plot development in a very funny way, it's just you don't realise it until after the film has finished.

Oh, I loved that slowmo used at times, especially on those horses in the beginning, the shot top down from the floor above was awesome. Indeed the coffee smoke, especially with it hitting the hat Samuel was wearing and then curved upwards around it. Great visuals all around. Acting and characters, dialog, story, putting the pieces together with the juggled timeline, loved the bit with the piano; I was impressed. There was much hype for both this and The Revenant lately. And apart from some gorgeous imagery and stunning sequences The Revenant really didn't do it for me. Maybe that kind of let me not to get my hopes up too high for the movie I was going to see next, making the impact much greater now. Nice!

The Slomos with the warped audio were reaaally cool, yeah. Just made the mistake of seeing it for a second time within two weeks (watched it in German socially and had to redo it in the original) and with all the surprises gone it didn't work for me anymore. The German synchro was really decent, though, except a few quirks, didn't expect that for such a dialog-heavy film. And in addition to the superb analog motion I loved the 70 mm sound in the theater, kinda more atmospheric to me than all the Surround YaddaYadda. Still I prefer the Tarantinos up till Bill.

• Administrators

Is the 70mm print plain old stereo?

As that hack JJ is prone to saying... a story is a mystery box. I avoided reading anything at all about The Hateful 8 before I saw it. Worked a treat. The sense of 'what is going to happen next' keeps you on the edge of your seat and stops it from becoming boring. Really important that... I think the best way to read up about a film is after you've seen it.