Achieving consistant warm orange skin tones

exomonkeyman

Hello guys, i'm trying to achieve hot warm skin tones like in Interstellar, transformers, the dark knight... all Hollywood movies really. similar to the orange and teal look.

How does one get warm orange results on skin consistently in exterior shots and interior shots. Is it a mix between lighting,makeup,post? Iv'e done tests and gotten really neat results indoors. But over here in the UK it's cold, dark, and gloomy so getting any color in skin is really hard at the moment. It just looks... white.

The attached file is also of a shot of a wardrobe test on interstellar. How is his skin tones so warm and orange when there is only one big cool white light? I'm guessing the Film Stock can only help you so much in achieving the warm skin look.

Any help would be super awesome, sorry in this is the wrong forum to ask.

P.S

Samuel

coop.PNG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

skin tones like in Interstellar, transformers, the dark knight... all Hollywood movies really. similar to the orange and teal look.

Emulation can be a good thing when one is learning.  I've created this color cast many times.

But I'm willing to wager that this era in Hollywood film making is going to be chastised as the time when colorists hooked onto this teal/orange nonsense --and it is going to look ridiculous and very dated to "future" eyeballs.  You know how when you watch an 80's movie and you pick up the visual cues that let you know it's an 80's movie?  The 'aughts and 21st century teens are going to have a very obvious aesthetic too.    

If you want something you create to be more timeless, I'd suggest looking at films of the 70's as a guidance; much more basic back then.

Essentially, I'm saying don't think you gotta do this just because it's what you're seeing most of the time.

Warmer white balance and some soft lighting is probably a good place to start. What kind of conditions are you shooting in? 

It's just testing in different environments such as interior and exterior trying to replicate similar skin tones and working with Slog footage to figure out how i'm going to be able to push it in post before i actually get into post.

But really appreciate the reply's guys thanks!

Resolve,Colorista,Speedgrade all have ability to isolate/key/punch skin tone to where you want it to be. If you going in with a heavy orange and teal grade in mind, maybe try to avoid reds and oranges in wardrobe and props where possible. If you can load a LUT onto your camera monitor...great, it will show you the ballpark of what a stylised grade will give you as you shoot. For exterior/overcast weather, you could favor a warmer colour balance to bring skin looking less washed out. If your actor is very pale, that is something you can't do too much about - without helping with makeup.

Resolve,Colorista,Speedgrade all have ability to isolate/key/punch skin tone to where you want it to be.

this is my best tip too. Learning to do secondary colour correction on skin is one of he best things you can do, then you can push the skin tones where you want them. I frequently rescue and improve shots like this.

of course you need to start with well exposed and white balanced skin in the first place.

if you're editing in Premiere you can use the three-way colour corrector to do secondary correction without having to get into Resolve or Speedgrade. Find a video tutorial and give it a go.