Is micro four thirds still worth investing into? (from a beginners-ish perspective)

dvcrn

11 hours ago, kye said:

The GH5 is one of those cameras where far more people own one (or more) than are visible from forum posts and YT reviews etc.  They are workhorses.  Even if no more MFT cameras or lenses are released ever again there will still be many thousands of users making millions of videos per year for the next 5+ years.  4K 10-bit isn't going anywhere soon.  There are major networks in the US who still shoot 1080 and broadcast 720, and people watch YT on their phones.

My recommendation is to work out exactly what features you require in a camera system, to review your options and then go buy what you need.  If you aren't sure about a GH5 vs something newer then that means the GH5 already meets your requirements and so you're just tempted by shiny toys of new cameras.

At the end of the day, a camera is a tool to make stuff.  Either buy a GH5 and stop worrying about what's around the corner and go make stuff, or keep what you have and stop worrying about what's around the corner and go make stuff.  If you're worried about the resale value of the camera then maybe stick with the camera you already own and go buy stocks instead - tech is the worst investment possible :)

100% agree.  The camera is a tool, the artist is the behind the camera.  I have been out shooting with my EOS 500D.  I plan on practicing my Mlogs and such on my other cameras until I get my act down then use something better for the final product which most people will watch on youtube in 480p ?.  That said, it just seems like the Pannasonic S1 looks like a FF GH6 regarding rumored specs.  So where will a MFT GH6 fit in??

All in all I dont really care about the camera body,  its the lens system thats most important to me.  My eye and the cameras eye are the most important parts of the equation.  I'm willing to spend two or three times more on the lens than the camera.  But I do love those wide angle shots of the mountains and a FF does that better.  But I have to hike there and a MFT does that better.  Its all about finding the best compromise. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/30/2018 at 11:07 PM, Thatguy said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread but with panny releasing the S1 and S1R FF L-mount what is to become of MFT?  I'm looking into investing into some good lenses but dont want to buy something that looks like it might be on the way out or am I wrong?  I was all set on getting a GH5 as well but I think I will sit on the sideline a bit and wait and see. 

If Panasonic had done something like Canon has with M vs RF mount, then I'd be very very worried. As APS-C and FF are too close together for both to survive, I predict that eventually Canon will kill off M mount. 

But MFT vs L mount is more like Fujifilm's X mount and Medium Format cameras, as APS-C and Medium Format are both far enough apart for two different mounts to coexist together. 

The same is true for 4/3" vs FF, they're far enough apart that both could still co-exist together. 

On 12/1/2018 at 11:58 PM, Thatguy said:

But I do love those wide angle shots of the mountains and a FF does that better.

Nope! Plenty of wide angle options for MFT as well.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:58 PM, Thatguy said:

That said, it just seems like the Pannasonic S1 looks like a FF GH6 regarding rumored specs.  So where will a MFT GH6 fit in??

The GH6 MFT will be cheaper and/or have even better specs.