Revival of super 8 film ?

Don Kotlos

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, please tell me...

P1050546.JPG

Something wasn't mentioned here. All this is about film! Keep in mind that there is no(!) fresh color reversal film available right now - for no format at all.
 And this new development of Kodak/Logmar could hopefully result in the new production of fresh color reversal film (we are still waiting for Ferrania...)
And keep in mind: The magic bergins with the projection :)

Ah yeah :) I remember saying about that:

How do you shave? Do you do it oldschool? With a brush and a bit of soap? An actual fancy bladed razor like back in the day or at a barber? Do you do multiple passes? Listen to a bit of jazz music in the background, taking your time? Dry up with a nice warm towel and finish with a splash of after shave with a slight alcohol burn? Does the routine comfort you? Does it clear your head? Does it keep you focussed? Did your years of shaving like that give you skills, making you hit that perfect clean shave everytime, without any skin irritation or cuts?

It might take a bit longer, but there's something familiar, something comforting, something true and perhaps even romantic, about shaving like that.

You could argue that it's quicker to take an electric shaver and go at it. Facing that blinking LED telling you the battery is out of juice... hairs clogging the apparatus, the aggravating noise. There's hardly any comfort in that, nor is it romantic. But it gets the job done, probably quicker and just as effective...

What I mean is... maybe people just feel more comfortable shooting film, not even so much for the result, but because of the process. Because it feels right for them to do it that way and because of that they're able to give it their best. And who's to say which is better? I think it's a cool thing film is still around. Not that I would use it myself, but it's craftmanship... it's skill... and I'm just glad that there's people willing to keep that alive.

~ http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7955-kodak-celluloid-film-saved-by-studios-oh-and-by-the-way-whats-the-point/

• Super Members

If you dont get it you dont get it. 

Some play soccer. I think it sucks. Thats becaude I dont get it. So I let it go.

At the store I might buy stuff to make Pizza. The guy next to me buys frozen pizza. None of us get it. So we let it go.

But I dont stand there questioning him, try to lecture him or call him names. I let the man eat his pizza and let it go.

I will pre-order that thing asap. A roll of of s8 costs $15 from shoot to export from the NLE. Cheaper than going to the movies and ten times more fun imo.

If you dont get it you dont get it. 

Some play soccer. I think it sucks. Thats becaude I dont get it. So I let it go.

At the store I might buy stuff to make Pizza. The guy next to me buys frozen pizza. None of us get it. So we let it go.

But I dont stand there questioning him, try to lecture him or call him names. I let the man eat his pizza and let it go.

I will pre-order that thing asap. A roll of of s8 costs $15 from shoot to export from the NLE. Cheaper than going to the movies and ten times more fun imo.

Thank you.

Developing at home i easier than making mac n cheese and costs a fraction.

Besides, imo, you dont shoot s8 as an alternative. Its its own thing.

Btw, I shot some s35 s8 the other week :)

IMG_20151204_171446.md.jpg

I say even bigger THANK YOU! for your last post. Problem is many people just don't understand film. It is like telling video is digital film (my CDs are not digital records).

And I would really like to know what you did with you Canon 814? That looks very intresting. :)

Can't wait for the first non-reusable SD cards :) 

I second that. It would definately help the thousands and thousands of videomakers to improve and teach them a lot: Less can be more - especially when you have to look more for quality and make sure to get the shot done. A very important aspect in filmaking.

who on earth would use this kodak thing?

anyone making films wanting to use film would get something more pro

with the film and development costs its too pricey for anyone to experiment with

it involves so much waiting for the film back that no one in the want to see it now world will touch it.

what is this supposed to be? nostalgi for 50 year olds?

I started shooting polaroids about 2 years ago.  3200iso b+w and 100iso colour from fuji.  it costs about £1.50 per shot, and within a year the entire supply of film will be exhausted.  .  only 3 out of ten pics are viable to be scanned and shared.  Even then the images get next to no likes on flickr. technically they're weak.  however each image I take on polaroid feels like a real photo.  a physical entity.  I've done a few birthday/wedding jobs where they budget £5 per photo.  They are willing to pay this because the pictures are so much more magical.  technically they're awful but on a human level they are magic.  The effort I went to making a camera that obtains the best from polaroids is pretty mad looking back on it - when you consider how technically limited the format is.  But from the private messages I get asking for a parts list to make the camera below, it's clear film is still important enough for kodak to develop this new 8mm camera.

20661595352_b67b4a4aed_k.jpg

Aside mad scientists (ala Rich) or fanboys (ala Mattias), the history of Kodak will be studied as how to go from heaven to hell with bad business choices. We complain about Canon, Nikon and Samsung, but Kodak is the worsest!!!!!!! ;-DD

BTW, well shot Super 8 is great, it's just the cost and workflow that doesn't make sense for most videomakers in 2016. 

who on earth would use this kodak thing?

anyone making films wanting to use film would get something more pro

with the film and development costs its too pricey for anyone to experiment with

it involves so much waiting for the film back that no one in the want to see it now world will touch it.

what is this supposed to be? nostalgi for 50 year olds?

I'll answer each of your points as best i can

1. creative people who want the cheapest access to celluloid for motion picture.  The same type of people who still shoot film (1000000% more expensive than digital), listen to vinyl records (which are 1000% more expensive than itunes and 1000000% more expensive than piracy), and those who drive classic cars instead of modern cars (they break down more often and are less fuel efficient, yet they still do it.  it's called going against the grain. enthusiasm. passion. nostagia

2. not always.  8mm film shot, developed and scanned well will outperform full hd digital.  if the 8mm format took off the costs will likely be massively cheaper than 16mm or 35mm due to demand driving prices down.  the 8mm film stock has the same colour and highlight rolloff as the film stock used for interstellar, hateful 8, and the master.  if you only need fullhd then 8mm carefully handled will deliver.

3. it may be too pricey for some, but not everyone.  those who might make the choice to invest in stuff for their art endeavours rather than waste money on big tv's, junkfood and consuming stuff they don;t need tend to spend their money on stuff like this.  

4. patience is a virtue.  you may not be patient enough to wait for development.  I get impatient too.  but as above - there are people who are patient and they benefit!

5. maybe.  I like to think when I'm 50 I'll have the budget to invest in stuff like this for my own enjoyment, capturing family, grandchildren, life, etc.  But I know plenty of commercial film makers who will be investing in this little camera for commercial work.  The value in doing so is heightened by the fact that there are those with your opinions who aren't willing to go to the effort or invest in the action of trying something against the grain.    

more pro

the walking dead is shot on 16mm film for a reason and do you know what i think that show needs...?

less resolution.

how bad ASS would that show be on 8mm??

way more distortion to hide their mediocre practical effects

thats the reality of a production that im sure youd hardly call unprofessional

~FURTHERMORE, id like to thank everyone from mattias burling to quentin tarantino for keeping film ALIVE~!

the dancing grain of film has a life of its own, but without our enthusiasm it will certainly go the way of the dinosaurs, until its resurrected in some sort of postmodern mess one day in the future; its original nature lost forever

our culture has a short memory

nevermind the haters: youre doing a great service, film advocates

your kids will thank you

I actually think it's genius what Kodak is doing. They're self aware of their legacy. Instead of competing for an overcrowded digital sensor market, they start with entry level film in hopes to spark a new generation of film users. I could see them rolling out this service to 16mm and 35mm in the future.

I actually think it's genius what Kodak is doing. They're self aware of their legacy. Instead of competing for an overcrowded digital sensor market, they start with entry level film in hopes to spark a new generation of film users. I could see them rolling out this service to 16mm and 35mm in the future.

Lets hope. If they can keep costs down and if I can learn to develop and scan I would totally make the transition. What would be amazing is if there was a way to combine the best of both worlds. What if a film camera could scan to digital in camera? Probably not possible, but perhaps the Renaissance to non-tech will bring about some creative thinking that hasn't happened yet and we end up with something we haven't even asked for yet or didn't know we wanted. 

Rich - you hit the nail with your answer ! (That Polaroid is fantastic. You are making really stunning things: Just thinking about the Forbes... and all the lenses)

Lets hope. If they can keep costs down and if I can learn to develop and scan I would totally make the transition. What would be amazing is if there was a way to combine the best of both worlds. What if a film camera could scan to digital in camera? Probably not possible, but perhaps the Renaissance to non-tech will bring about some creative thinking that hasn't happened yet and we end up with something we haven't even asked for yet or didn't know we wanted. 

We are talking about negative film here. As far as I know Kodak did not announce new stock yet :( Developing negative film is different: Usually the film has to be cleaned and treated very, very carefully and gentle. There is also alot you can do during developing (forcing for more light) and therefore you need to be very experienced. I think it is much easier with reversal film. Unfortunately I have possibility to develop myself. And finally a good scaner is really expansive. Blackmagic offers some for example... You cannot compare a good frame by frame scan with DIY-stuff! I do it from time to time but I definately shot film for projection as I prefer watching and collecting movies on film.

But I love good digital cameras and thinking of buying a second one...

Mattias, I would love to learn more. I have always scoffed at film because it just seemed way out of my price range, but this is looking doable. Any info would be helpful. I'm totally new to this so assume I know nothing of film.