Revival of super 8 film ?

Don Kotlos

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't think it will have the extensive features the Logmar has. According to one of the above linked articles, the rollout price will be between 450 and 750 and Kodak was never known for having a rich in features Super 8 camera.

But who knows, it could be a good niche market for them.

The question will really be audio and how/if they incorporate it. They are advertising that they will process the film and deliver a projectable and digital copy for 50 to 60 bucks, unless they are going to reintroduce super 8 sound film, or provide an SD slot and offer an audio synch during the conversion, I assume it will be silent.

I would be more interested in a Kodak digital super 8 camera that shoots proper HD Raw, something similar in style to the Chinon Bellami, but better designed with semi-pro use in mind. I know little about sensor technology, but I assume one of their existing sensors could handle it.

But either way it is a niche camera, so keeping cost down would be paramount.

It would be cool to have a built in LUT/preset called Kodachrome 40. 

I would be more interested in a Kodak digital super 8 camera that shoots proper HD Raw, something similar in style to the Chinon Bellami, but better designed with semi-pro use in mind. I know little about sensor technology, but I assume one of their existing sensors could handle it.

I was thinking of the same.  There are some nice new sensors out there likIMX249 and IMX174 from Sony that are cheap enough and offer good dynamic range and global shutter. Although I really like the BM micro I feel that it is was not meant for handheld shooting.  

Some more coverage:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/01/06/kodak-goes-back-to-the-future-and-announces-a-new-super-8-film-camera/

• Administrators

So not only has he been rehashing the first star wars movie down to every last detail, JJ wants to bring back Super 8 from the 70's.

Got any NEW ideas?!

And Kodak offloading their superb sensor division was a huge error.

Sod 4K... I am all for an analogue look, a proper 2K camera with 13 stops usable dynamic range, but this just seems like a really retrograde way of going about it.

• Super Members

I would be more interested in a Kodak digital super 8 camera that shoots proper HD Raw, something similar in style to the Chinon Bellami, but better designed with semi-pro use in mind. 

That is a D16 with a super-8 lens.

Kodak CCD, Raw, Pro audio of the highest level, In camera LUTs coming in firmware. And you would be able to use it for s16 as well.

I was thinking of the same.  There are some nice new sensors out there likIMX249 and IMX174 from Sony that are cheap enough and offer good dynamic range and global shutter. Although I really like the BM micro I feel that it is was not meant for handheld shooting.  

Some more coverage:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/01/06/kodak-goes-back-to-the-future-and-announces-a-new-super-8-film-camera/

Bellami-HD-1-chinon-designboom041.jpg

I will say the Chinon Bellami is a nice looking camera, but not good enough for 1000 bucks. If it was selling for 250, then I would probably have one. 

Thanks for the link, it cleared up the audio question. Of course, I'm not sure why they are using crystal synch... I get retro, but do I really want to have a nagra to get some audio? I really think it would have been a better idea to develop a hybrid digital/analog camera. Throw in an SD card and a Super 8 cassette and give me the best of both worlds... Or one or the other.

Whatever, it's still a cool novelty and if they get the price down in their second run... As they are claiming they will... I might grab one. 

Kodak CCD, Raw, Pro audio of the highest level, In camera LUTs coming in firmware. And you would be able to use it for s16 as well.

while the d16 can produce some great footage and it offers great support, it is still a bit too expensive and too big for what i had in mind. A bellami type of camera literally fits in your pocket with a lens (but quality is awful).

Yeah, I am super jealous of you and your D16. If I was a wealthier man, the D16 would be first on my list. There just isn't a camera like it. Hell I'd be happy with the B&W version. 

But I would love to see Kodak come out with a Raw HD Super 8 camera... Maybe max it out at 720p with a 4:3 mask for the purist... For around a grand or less... I doubt it will happen, but it would be cool.

while the d16 can produce some great footage and it offers great support, it is still a bit too expensive and too big for what i had in mind. A bellami type of camera literally fits in your pocket with a lens (but quality is awful).

Yeah, the Bellami image quality is horrific. The Harinezumi looks about as good for only $150 bucks... But the Bellami is a wicked design and that chinon lens looks nice. Wish they made some longer lengths I could try on my G7. 

What is the ISO rating? I haven't seen that in any of the articles. Is it UHD or true 4K? Does it do RAW? Maybe with a ML hack. Is the hdmi out clean? Or maybe it's sdi. I've never seen a camera announcement with so little info.

EDIT: sorry, I'm such an idiot. I just saw the image and it doesn't really look very filmic to me. No longer interested. 

If you insist on buying other people's memories, I'll sell you mine. My genuine Sankyo Super-8, INCLUDING 150' of readymade nostalgia: pre-shot, pre-developed, pre-gunked and pre-shredded through the merciless gate of an 18 fps projector.*

sany2.thumb.jpg.3c60630d93ba5f1c6984a69a

*Merciless projector not included. Additional 50' memory-modules sold separately.

So a 50 feet roll that gives you 2.5 min of recording with development and scanning is $50 to $75 (just the film is $35). 

Add the initial price of the camera at $400-$750, and it makes little sense. 

Its more expensive than shooting RAW with the BM pocket and buying a new SD every time!

• Super Members

So a 50 feet roll that gives you 2.5 min of recording with development and scanning is $50 to $75 (just the film is $35). 

Its more expensive than shooting RAW with the BM pocket and buying a new SD every time!

Developing at home i easier than making mac n cheese and costs a fraction.

Besides, imo, you dont shoot s8 as an alternative. Its its own thing.

Btw, I shot some s35 s8 the other week :)

IMG_20151204_171446.md.jpg

Except that you can reuse your SD, whereas reusing a 50 foot roll works less well ;)