Nikon D500

tugela

The D500 seems outdated, and something that should cost 1000$ less, idk why they thought it would be ok to have 2.1x crop. The D5, as incredible as it will certainly be for stills, doesnt look good in video, I dont care for the 3 min limit, since I usually record short clips, but the image is simply not there, and judging from some clips and even the thumbnail, the DR looks quite terrible. The image lacks detail, looks muddy, and if anyone told me "This clip is from the D800" Id still think its a bad clip, since i've seen the D800 do much better.

I totally agree, I own and loooove the D800 for its capabilities and these images didn't really shined for me. 
But remember that when the D4 was released it had been really quickly outdated by the D650/D800/ D5500 for video. 
This release gives me the same feeling. D4 and D500 for stills with great capabilities, and video renewal and we'll have to wait a bit more for a more convicing use of 4k in a next nikon dslr with same amazing still capabilites, maybe in Full-frame, maybe also in dx much cheaper.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yup, one of the more exciting things about this announcement is what it bodes for the future of other Nikon DSLRs!! :-S

4k in 8bit 4:2:0 h.264 while the competition had that nearly 2 years ago? By the time we'll get a Nikon DSLR with non-cropped 4k to internal 8bit 4:2:0 h.264 I wouldn't be surprised if the competition would all have external 10bit like the GH4 already has or at least way better codecs and/or higher bit rates internal.

If Sony would make the HDMI out 10bit they would kill the S-LOG problems with banding and have a crazy thing. To be honest I don't think Nikon will even try to compete for the video enthusiasts in the next years. Even the new cameras seem to only have zebra in regards to exposure/focus tools.

• Administrators

In terms of image? I have an NX1 and think it has some nice characteristics, but the poor highlight roll off and general lack of DR put it below the 1DC. As for Sony, the colours just don't cut it, for me.

For overall image and performance as a hybrid, I think the 1DC still reigns supreme.

The 1D C has the highest bitrate internal recording and 4:2:2.

It has the easiest image to work with, colour wise.

The Sony A7S II is a close second. It can match or even exceed the image quality of the 1D C's 4K, with the advantage of much smaller files, but it's 4:2:0 and S-Gamut requires expert colour correction. If you set S-LOG to a different colour mode like Stills or Cinema then it becomes easier to handle in post.

The A7S II also has the edge in low light but there's not much in it, even at ISO 12,800. It's only when you go into the little-used territory of 25,600+ that the A7S II pulls ahead more dramatically.

Personally I feel both the A7S II and FS5 are a match for the 1D C's image if handled optimally.

The 1D C is just more straightforward and has the higher bitrates. Motion blur looks better on the Canon and it's an ALL-I codec too.

If you want the best skin tones skip them both. 5D Mark II 14bit raw renders faces superbly with zero effort in post!

Well I can definitely see the 4K capable Expeed 5 going into a consumer Nikon camera.

Whether Sony will let them have the best 4K sensors is another question :)

Sony sensor division is a seperate entity and nikon sells about 3 to 4 time more sensor than Sony camera. My guess is that Nikon is the biggest client to Sony sensor manufacturing which contrary to Sony Camera is very profitale and a leader in its domain. 

The 1D C has the highest bitrate internal recording and 4:2:2.

It has the easiest image to work with, colour wise.

The Sony A7S II is a close second. It can match or even exceed the image quality of the 1D C's 4K, with the advantage of much smaller files, but it's 4:2:0 and S-Gamut requires expert colour correction. If you set S-LOG to a different colour mode like Stills or Cinema then it becomes easier to handle in post.

The A7S II also has the edge in low light but there's not much in it, even at ISO 12,800. It's only when you go into the little-used territory of 25,600+ that the A7S II pulls ahead more dramatically.

Personally I feel both the A7S II and FS5 are a match for the 1D C's image if handled optimally.

The 1D C is just more straightforward and has the higher bitrates. Motion blur looks better on the Canon and it's an ALL-I codec too.

If you want the best skin tones skip them both. 5D Mark II 14bit raw renders faces superbly with zero effort in post!

personally, I'll take the A7Rii over the A7Sii. Love the aps-c or full frame option. Not too much difference between the two modes iq wise. And this give you added flexibility. Add to that the awesome stills capability and it's an easy choice. Low light is more than adequate if you are lighting your scenes... which you should be anyway.

Theoretically, Nikon can make a lesser crop on the D500 (not the full width sensor read though) with some improvement in noise via firmware but that may also mean that they have to lessen the recording time (heat issues). Which is no biggie as far as I'm concerned.

It's got an XQD card slot and does a full pixel 1080p DX readout. Nikon could've easily enabled raw video recording. Compared to a BMMCC with a speed booster, it's really not very interesting, especially for $2000 US ($3000 AUD). I hope NikonHacker figure out how to crack it.