Nikon D500

tugela

• Administrators

No mention of any added video assists or features really, in the current info.

It's as if they don't really care!

But they do!

But they don't show it!

Oh... I have no idea what they are thinking to be honest!

They really need to dump their entire feedback chain.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Look at the red cropped area maaaan ;) its super cropped, look at the image not the table.

I don't think the D5 is cropped, but I don't have the pdf for that.

The crop refers specifically to HD though. Note that the 4K image is not cropped.

My reading of the image is that the HD is essentially a portion of the 4K image and not a downsized image from the full sensor. Hence the crop.

I would guess that the added overhead of downsizing is too much for the processor to handle.

With that sort of limitation it implies that the image is not going to be competitive with cameras such as the NX1, GH4 and a7R/S mark IIs.

The image and DR out of the D750 is so nice imo that even if cropped, its more interesting than most of the competition.

But if its just an nx500 in a Nikon body... No thanks.

It isn't an NX500. There is pretty clearly no Samsung DNA in this camera.

Damn H. 264... I am soooo waiting for a good H. 265 codec use on a dslr...  H. 264 has soooooo many flaws by itself that it crushes the quality use of any dslr processors...  This cameea being able to shoot stills at 10f/s should have enough buffer for H. 265... Really am fed up with H.264. Don't see the point to spend anymore 2 to 3k€ for a H. 264 body.

The image and DR out of the D750 is so nice imo that even if cropped, its more interesting than most of the competition.

But if its just an nx500 in a Nikon body... No thanks.

If you like the d750 image, the d500 will be a lot better, but only in 1080p. You can use active dlighting in videomode now, this boosts DR in a crazy way. Try it out on jpgs with your d750.

• Administrators

Is the poster frame supposed to highlight the poor dynamic range and blown highlights of the D5's 4K video or something?

And why can't they get someone good to shoot for them?

They're Nikon after all.

They must have a good range of talents to call on surely?

When I watched at the video it made me think that the reason they chose the crop mode without down-scaling, which one step less in processing (heat) and less silicon active, again heat is because of to whom those camera and the D5 in particular is intended. The D5 and to a lesser extent the D500 are meant to be bullet proof still camera that will be used and abused in very hard and hostile environments, sport, nature, news and war zone. The D5 is the flagship nikon camera and it would be catastrophic for them to experience problems or even failures like the latest Sony's in the field.