Nikon D500

tugela

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Nice, this will be much more affordable than the D5 I expect although more than a D7200 obviously.

Super 35mm video from a great Nikon sensor in 4K with nice codec and flat profile from the D750.

Still waiting for the full details on video spec.

CES hall full of clueless stills people ;)

http://www.nikon.com/news/2016/0106_dslr_02.htm (D500)

http://www.nikon.com/news/2016/0106_dslr_01.htm (D5)

No major video info there:

Cinematic brilliance with 4K UHD (30p) movie capability

The D5 supports movie creation in 4K, which offers a resolution higher than HD or full-HD movies, an indispensable feature for professionals involved in film-making and video content creation. High-resolution 4K UHD (3840 x 2160)/30p, 25p, 24p movies can be recorded to a memory card inserted in the camera, or, with simultaneous HDMI output, they can be displayed on an external monitor or recorded as uncompressed video to an external recorder. With support for the maximum standard sensitivity of ISO 102400, as well as even higher sensitivity settings up to Hi 5 (equivalent to ISO 3280000), even movies recorded at these high sensitivities will exhibit superior picture quality. 4K UHD time-lapse movies can also be generated in-camera.

It will have Active D-lighting in 1080p (a shame it's not on 4K). This means very high dynamic range in video.

Challenging video exposures are no problem for the D500, as it also adds in Active D-Lighting to Full HD video to balance exposure values within a scene to help prevent blown-out highlights

More info is available in this PDF on Nikon's website: http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf

Strangely enough, the D500 can record up to the full 29:29 in 4K mode, but on the D5 it's limited to just three minutes!

EDIT: On further inspection, it seems that the D500 does full-pixel readout from a 4K area in order to get the video. Definitely better than line-skipping, though it's going to leave the effective crop quite near the m4/3rds level.

WTF? Nikon knows very well how to screw themselves over. 

In fairness, I imagine Nikon know full well that most serious video shooters will be going for the D500, and that anyone who can afford to shell out for the D5 probably has enough money to also buy an external 4K recorder (both cameras do 4K uncompressed over HDMI, though I don't know if that's 8-bit or 10-bit). Still seems like a rather odd limitation.

Dang, that D500 is going to be hella interesting.

Just waiting to see what the Sony A6100 will be like. It will not have the organic rendering and color perhaps, but, it's friggin' mirrorless with a versatile mount (with focal reducer possibility). Compact too.

Now Panasonic just has to announce the GH5 and Olympus the OM-D E-M1II and the I can start pulling out my hair. :)