5 underrated cinematic images from "forgotten" cameras

Andrew Reid

I recently was looking for a new camera, and I, too, re-discovered a forgotten camera. It produces a truly analog, organic look. I got a Sony Handycam Pro Hi8 camera, with CCD sensor!

FsjZyOs.jpg

and S-Video output!

29H6NVO.jpg

Just kidding, I got a BMPCC.

hUWvMRJ.jpg

F9SPaCQ.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm not making fun of anyone, I just found that old broken camera buried in a box and couldn't resist the dumb joke.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Last week I made a very quick test with my 5dmk2 MLraw and a slider.
Once again very pleased with the image, but the Clip in Vimeo is a bit jerky what I haven´t noticed before... (before uploading).
So, I would like to find out where in the process it occurs.
But the cinematic feel is nice, I find.

good God that shit looks AMAZING 

I really like those quick shots Volker

What's interesting for RAW is that it's also possible to use other grading tools such as Lightroom. It opens up a lot of possibilities. There are lots of looks out there (Fuji Astia, Velvia, Kodak portra etc.) that were made for still cameras and you can then export as LUTs in Resolve

This whole 5D Mark II raw got my attention because of how cheap you can get a 5D these days.

Considering that I might give it a shot now but first I could use some help.

How does the image quality stands against a Lumix GH3? (which I own but I miss that dreamy look from FF and APS-C sensors) And how much more "gradable"(?) it is?

Is it really worth the VAF filter? (I know what it does but is the moiré really that bad?)

When shooting RAW can you shoot 720p 60fps? How do you do you slow-mo shots?

Is audio still a problem? Or is it worked out?

When buying a second hand camera (I never understood this one) is it better to have less shutter counts or less video made? 

I think this is all for now!

Thanks in advance and great shots Volker, especially the ones testing the Minoltas outdoors (ugh I wish I knew how to change the mount).

This whole 5D Mark II raw got my attention because of how cheap you can get a 5D these days.

Considering that I might give it a shot now but first I could use some help.

How does the image quality stands against a Lumix GH3? (which I own but I miss that dreamy look from FF and APS-C sensors) And how much more "gradable"(?) it is?

Its a very different image, not as sharp and "perfect" image as on the gh3. Its a very natural and filmic image. Grading raw vs avchd is two different worlds.

Is it really worth the VAF filter? (I know what it does but is the moiré really that bad?)

-

When shooting RAW can you shoot 720p 60fps? How do you do you slow-mo shots?

No slow mo on the mark ii, thats only for the 7d and mark iii

Is audio still a problem? Or is it worked out?

Its working

When buying a second hand camera (I never understood this one) is it better to have less shutter counts or less video made? 

Shutter count only affects stills. A shutter is rated for a specific number of shots and when those have been taken you need to switch out the shutter. For video it does not matter, the amount of videos does not impact the camera either.

I think this is all for now!

Thanks in advance and great shots Volker, especially the ones testing the Minoltas outdoors (ugh I wish I knew how to change the mount).

For me the VAF is worth! But as Andrew said before, when you have in mind when the problems occurs, you can avoid them.
But generally I can say that the 5dmk2 - also with raw, falls quickly in this issue.

Just one thing: remember, that for 1min it takes approximately 4GB on your card.
If you film a lot, it is maybe not the right camera.

For me the VAF is worth! But as Andrew said before, when you have in mind when the problems occurs, you can avoid them.
But generally I can say that the 5dmk2 - also with raw, falls quickly in this issue.

Just one thing: remember, that for 1min it takes approximately 4GB on your card.
If you film a lot, it is maybe not the right camera.

This is one of the reasons it interests me, especially for narratives. It forces your shot ratios to be small and to previsualize your film. 

Bit off-topic but how does the RAW files differ from camera to camera? Like 5D, 7D or 50D, what's the difference?

the dr differes (check dxomark for that). The 5d mark iii have not moire and aliasing and all the others have different degrees of it. The resolution also varies, 5d iii has highest, 5d ii second, 50d third, 7d 4th, 6d 5th.