5 underrated cinematic images from "forgotten" cameras

Andrew Reid

The F35 has the look I love, as does the 5dRAW and some BMCC. I'm seriously considering the F35 at the moment, just been waiting to see what the URSA mini 4.6k has to offer as it is current tech and supported, just wish that one of these years they'd get their act together over there at BM. I'm definitely going to pull the trigger on something in the next few months and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the F35.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
From the article:

Sony’s flagship CineAlta camera [F35] came out at a time when large sensor Super 35mm cameras doing video were a rare high end beast reserved for the Hollywood elite. We had the RED ONE, Panavision Genesis and that was about the extent of it

In addition, Arri had the D21 with a super 35 sensor, and the Dalsa Origin was still available in early 2008.

By the way, the F35 was almost the same camera as the Panavision Genesis.

Hey guys,

question close to Thobias one: how does the Canon 7D compare running Magic Lantern?

I am still hooked in Canon EF Lenses and would love to invest my money in my upcoming films and lighting instead of a new camera...

Peace,

Chris

Not sure if you've read Andrew's post about 7d raw:
http://www.eoshd.com/2013/08/raw-video-on-the-canon-7d-super-35mm-raw-for-under-1000/

The 7D really needs the Mosaic filter to help reduce aliasing. With the filter it's a great camera for raw since it takes CF.

Edit: All this 5D2/forgotten camera excitement got me looking on craigslist. I found a wedding photographer selling her used 5D2 body for $500. ~140k actuations and some scratches on the screen. Talked her down to $480, just met up and bought it. Maybe you should consider selling your 7D and getting a used 5D2 since prices are getting very low. The deal I just got is extremely lucky but I see another on craigslist for $700. Now I can finally do some 5D2 vs 5D3 raw comparison tests of my own. I can post the results if people are interested.

Andrew, you forced me to register here and think about selling 70D and buy used 5D2. I want buy 5D3 later, but I cant afford it now. Reason, why I'm thinking about selling my new 70D...

See my above post. 5D2 prices are very low, I'd definitely consider selling your 70D and getting a 5D2. Craigslist seems to have the best deals but Ebay is another option. Good conditioned 5D2's going for a little over $800:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-21-1-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only-2764B003-/131687684834?hash=item1ea9329ae2:g:7xIAAOSwYaFWdzd2

hell yea I shot that Running Brooklyn thing on the f35.  Also I use the Red One MX a ton and swear by its image, more than the Red Epic, Dragon, bla bla bla.  It's only weakness is highlight roll off and also it takes 2 minutes to boot so you need to have two batteries on it, and hot swap them.

Sorry man, but that 2 minutes to boot disclaimer in 2016 seems to me something like I love that woman but she's still dating other men when I am not around... : D Anyway, I praise and share your love for old stuff. It can also be something like she has become old but she is still my first love :-)

Emanuel

All this 5D2/forgotten camera excitement got me looking on craigslist. I found a wedding photographer selling her used 5D2 body for $500. ~140k actuations and some scratches on the screen. Talked her down to $480, just met up and bought it.

haaa this is too funny~! ? we're all on craigslist shopping for used 5d2s right now ???

im totally gonna find a cheap one, Dane and i dont care about shutter actuations or a few scratches ? $480 as a point of entry for that raw full frame image is p awesome... nice work man!

stone-cold-steveweisers-o.gif?7685cf

also, Dane: always interested in 5d3 vs 5d2 raw comparisons!!!!!!

• Administrators

Edit: All this 5D2/forgotten camera excitement got me looking on craigslist. I found a wedding photographer selling her used 5D2 body for $500. ~140k actuations and some scratches on the screen. Talked her down to $480, just met up and bought it. Maybe you should consider selling your 7D and getting a used 5D2 since prices are getting very low. The deal I just got is extremely lucky but I see another on craigslist for $700. Now I can finally do some 5D2 vs 5D3 raw comparison tests of my own. I can post the results if people are interested.

Have fun

I have a second spare 5D2 body if anyone wants to buy it? Plenty of scratches and high shutter count but fully 100% working and shoots ML raw just fine! Can do it for around 700 euros!

Have fun

I have a second spare 5D2 body if anyone wants to buy it? Plenty of scratches and high shutter count but fully 100% working and shoots ML raw just fine! Can do it for around 700 euros!

I double mine. Zero scratches though and my very core museum sample.

5DII is yet a very capable camera.

It costed 10x less than a RED ONE body new and is worthy now no less than 1/4-1/5th used. So, doubled its value in second hand.

That RAW image is truly stunning.  I have an A7R2 and I'm jealous.

I'm really curious what the RAW workflow is these days.  Have any tools or processing power made it faster?  And what about the cost / workflow of shooting on those 1000x CF cards?  Do you still need to carry around a laptop with an HD to offload your CF cards to every hour or so of shooting?

These days working with ML raw is a breeze. Reqired CF cards are much cheaper than a year ago. I have 5d3 and love working with raw. I have bought 2 sandisks 128gb 160mb/s and they NEVER gave me dropped frames. Never unexpected recording stop. NEVER. It is very reliable. 128gb last for about 25min 24/25p 1080p.
My workflow now is:

-put CF card to the reader - 2 seconds

-use  an app called MLVFS which "mounts" the files from the card and makes them virtual CDNGs - 128gb take maybe about 30 seconds

-open resolve 12 and import files - 30 seconds

Color correct, cut, do everything and export  - there is NO need for any conversions at all.

Thats it. There is some nice app, all-in-one solutions in the making right now  - called MLVProducer.

On shoot i had 4 CF cards and nextodi 2730 with 2TB HDD onboard. Archiving 128gb takes about 25min. Then i can take HDD out, plug it to the PC via sata cable and work straight from it. Memory is getting cheaper very fast. Instead of investing 2-3 thousands $ into new camera (and cry about 8bit etc) i rather buy 8 new sandisk cards for 1300$ and have 200 minutes available without a need of copying it on set.

The 5D Mark III added nothing of real note over the Mark II. The old camera is the very definition of a modern classic.

Disagree here. 5d mark III gets rid of the aliasing (which is quite strong on the mark II) and bring in slowmo capabilities at 60p in RAW too. Also noise characteristics at low light are better.

Considering that my only pet peeve about the 5d mark ii was the moire & no slow motion, the 5d mark III hit all the right buttons.

Disagree here. 5d mark III gets rid of the aliasing (which is quite strong on the mark II) and bring in slowmo capabilities at 60p in RAW too. Also noise characteristics at low light are better.

Considering that my only pet peeve about the 5d mark ii was the moire & no slow motion, the 5d mark III hit all the right buttons.

Yeah, but I think Andrew's point was that there is not enough of a difference for the variation in looks... Analogue vs. Digital. The filter add on can eliminate the aliasing. Of course, I have never worked with either, but the ability to find a used Mark ii, in excellent/mint condition for less than a grand pushes it higher up the list, IMO.