DJI Ronin-m still the best all around option for DSLR and Mirrorless?

homestar_kevin

How many of you guys are using the Ronin-m?

I'm looking buy a gimbal system in the early portion of this year and the ronin-m still seems to be my best option, just wanted to check in and see what people are using and your opinions.

I like DJI because they seem to have the most product out there that is working, and they seem to have the customer support to back it up.

I'll be using cameras ranging from my nx1 and black magic pocket to other FF dslrs.

I'm mainly excited to use this with the nx-1 and 16-50 PZ as I've seen some brilliant clips posted here using that same set up.

Are there other legitimate contenders out there, or in that price range is the Ronin-M as good as it looks/better than other options?

Ronin-m users, what other accessories would you recommend to get up and running? How necessary are Spare batteries?

Thanks for your help guys!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I said screw it and bought the ronin-m the other day.

For what I"m doing it just seems like a no brainer and in that price range there isn't much that can top it.

I know there's a big current crop of singlehanded stabilizers and other devices on the market, but the ronin-m has been the only one I've used and I loved it when I did use it.

I should get it today or tomorrow and am excited to get some testing done with the nx-1 and 16-50 pz and other lenses. Definitely excited to get this

It's pretty heretical of me to make this claim–especially since I haven't tried the competition–but the Ronin M is absolutely where it's at for the price. It's so good.

Just remember that because it's so cheap and ubiquitous, a lot of people own them and don't know how to use them well. It takes some skill to balance and operate, particularly to smooth out footsteps.

It will never match the precision of a steadicam, except in dual operator mode, and that takes some serious skill. But for simpler shots without a lot of pan/tilt it's even steadier than a steadicam, particularly if you can figure out how to smooth out the Y axis.

I had no problems at 5lbs. Recently rented one of mine to a feature and they flew an 8lb+ rig on it no problem.

It is surprisingly difficult to balance some cameras. The cage is too small. dSLR form factors should be fine, but the C300 and 1DC are problematic with large lenses, especially once you introduce a wireless FF. (Which, of course, is fairly necessary–and raises the price substantially.)

If you are having problems at 5lbs your problem is likely user error.

The full sized Ronin...

This is true. The full sized Ronin isn't any more stable, but it has the bugs worked out and can handle a near-20lb rig. More importantly, it can handle a much larger camera.

However, it ends up being much more expensive because at that weight you'll also need an Easy Rig. But if you have $5k to spend, the full sized Ronin (or a Movi) will be a better choice.

This is true. The full sized Ronin isn't any more stable, but it has the bugs worked out and can handle a near-20lb rig. More importantly, it can handle a much larger camera.

However, it ends up being much more expensive because at that weight you'll also need an Easy Rig. But if you have $5k to spend, the full sized Ronin (or a Movi) will be a better choice.

Full sized Ronin is 2100...

I'm really only looking to use my nx1 with 16-50 PZ or one of my nikon or canon FD primes.

Heaviest lens I'll put on there is the tokina 11-16 2.8.

Also probably put the BM pocket camera on there.

I figure this will get me started and I intend to keep the nx1 for awhile so this combination is what I'm looking forward to using the most.

If I have a need to fly bigger cameras down the line I'll just take my losses and sell the M for something else.

Looking at quick release plates to mount the ronin-m on things like a jib.

It seems the cinemilled one is a popular option, any others that people have experience with?

I had no problems at 5lbs. Recently rented one of mine to a feature and they flew an 8lb+ rig on it no problem.

It is surprisingly difficult to balance some cameras. The cage is too small. dSLR form factors should be fine, but the C300 and 1DC are problematic with large lenses, especially once you introduce a wireless FF. (Which, of course, is fairly necessary–and raises the price substantially.)

If you are having problems at 5lbs your problem is likely user error.

I have no problems balancing most DSLR cameras. It has a really unfortunate tendency to glitch out with heavier rigs. It's stable, then all of a sudden, collapses and requires a reboot. The horizontal drift is still an issue that crops up now and then.