Upcoming functions of Sony FS5 Firmware 1.2 (release date TBD)

Andrew Reid

@Andrew

Would you please upload an example of the 10bit codec? Would love to see how it performs in After Effects and Premiere... Thank you!

Yes, I'll do it in the morning. I'll record 1080p 10-bit 4:2:2 XAVC-L in camera as well as ProResHQ on the Shogun so you can compare and contrast. I'll also provide clips of the higher frame rate 1080 modes.

As far as the FS5 goes, the good news is that Sony seems to have included a 150mbps bit rate for 8-bit 4:2:2 UHD in the LongGOP standard, so it's possible that it's just a matter of turning it on in firmware. Also, according to a year old paper, they have two more LongGOP UHD modes to be implemented in the "future". Specifically, 140mbps and 200mbps for 10-bit 4:2:2 UHD. 

http://www.xavc-info.org/xavc/share/data/XAVC_Naming_per_OperatingPoints.pdf

Actually, I think that the XAVC QFHD Long 150 mode applies only to 50/60 fps. Bummer. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Here's the 4K and 10bit 1080p

Drop it into Premiere and give it a grade. Enjoy!

http://we.tl/yQO2ZM4HdA

Actually, I think that the XAVC QFHD Long 150 mode applies only to 50/60 fps. Bummer. 

Doesn't the FS7 already use that flavour of XAVC?

I remember once the GH2 shot H.264 at nearly 150 Mbit/s long GOP. What took Sony so long to bring it to a pro camera? :)

Doesn't the FS7 already use that flavour of XAVC?

I remember once the GH2 shot H.264 at nearly 150 Mbit/s long GOP. What took Sony so long to bring it to a pro camera? :)

Alister Chapman's response to the FS5 issues was very disappointing. He basically said shifted the blame to FS5 owners, saying that we expected too much. His argument- You knew the bit rate was low, you knew the bit depth was low, you knew that shooting at higher gain levels would add noise. You should have known that all three of those things together would add up to poor quality footage. Buyer beware. 

The electronic variable ND is amazing, even more so with the future auto mode. Couldn't get any better.

I have mixed feelings about the future compressed raw update though.

It could finally deliver the image quality you would expect to get in 2016, but then it adds thousands of dollars for the external recorder + ssds to the already far from cheap price.

And it hurts the lightweight compact ergonomics of the camera which is one of the major selling points to begin with.

Fixing the internal quality codecs should be their first priority imo. Keeping an eye on this camera will see how it works out.