Upcoming functions of Sony FS5 Firmware 1.2 (release date TBD)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

fs5-firmware-updating.thumb.jpg.ddfc7606

Today I gave my early FS5 feedback to Sony and the good news is they confirmed another firmware update is in the pipeline.

I am allowed to give you some of the confirmed new features, although the release timing and full details are yet to be fully decided.

It is clear Sony is going to support the FS5 extremely well!

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Link fixed!

Yes hopefully they will address the 10bit mode at least, you can't really justify 50Mbit/s and macro blocking on a 10bit codec as it makes it a bit pointless, especially in situations where it will be used instead of 8bit, like with a green screen shoot.

Sony could eliminate almost all of the issues by simply increasing the 1080 bit rate to 100mbps and the UHD bit rate to 200+ mbps. After all, the SD U3 standard has a minimum write speed of 240mbps. 

I doubt they will though, for a number of reasons. It's possible, even likely, that Sony may not be able to change the bit rates even if they want to as it may be a function of hardware, not firmware. 

Honestly, I very disappointed with the FS5. It seems that they simply threw the guts of a $1300 RX10ii into a nice camcorder body and replaced the 1" sensor with a Super 35 one. Even the viewfinder and LCD appear to be the same. 

• Administrators

It seems that they simply threw the guts of a $1300 RX10ii into a nice camcorder body and replaced the 1" sensor with a Super 35 one. Even the viewfinder and LCD appear to be the same. 

No, it's not the same. There's a visible heat sink in the camera, it's very large and there's a fan. Different voltage on the battery too. The LCD is not the same. The EVF panel maybe.

The 4K image and codec are significantly sharper than the muddy one in the RX10 II.

And even if it shares codec or image processing similarities, everything else is dramatically different such as the sensor, fact it is interchangeable lens, totally different ergonomics, not to mention all the extra stuff on the audio side.

Thanks for your replay on the other thread. As I have the ShoGun, can we assume Raw will work on that one as well.

Maybe not. You will have to ask Atomos on that one.

The auto variable ND is the one feature of this camera that seems to live up to the hype, it is killer and I use it all the time. On the other hand, with S-Log having a base ISO of 3200, it's almost required. 

Also, when I compared the FS5 to the RX10ii, I was referring to the basic image pipeline. Both cameras have almost identical bit rates, frame rates, resolutions and were released within a similar time frame. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same processing hardware. Yes, the RX10ii uses XAVC-S and not XAVC-L but the technical differences between them are few, mainly a different wrapper (mp4) and higher compression with S. and both use a LongGOP compression scheme. Basically, XAVC-S is just a crippled version of XAVC-L. 

As far as the FS5 goes, the good news is that Sony seems to have included a 150mbps bit rate for 8-bit 4:2:2 UHD in the LongGOP standard, so it's possible that it's just a matter of turning it on in firmware. Also, according to a year old paper, they have two more LongGOP UHD modes to be implemented in the "future". Specifically, 140mbps and 200mbps for 10-bit 4:2:2 UHD. 

http://www.xavc-info.org/xavc/share/data/XAVC_Naming_per_OperatingPoints.pdf

The auto variable ND is the one feature of this camera that seems to live up to the hype, it is killer and I use it all the time. On the other hand, with S-Log having a base ISO of 3200, it's almost required. 

Also, when I compared the FS5 to the RX10ii, I was referring to the basic image pipeline. Both cameras have almost identical bit rates, frame rates, resolutions and were released within a similar time frame. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same processing hardware. Yes, the RX10ii uses XAVC-S and not XAVC-L but the technical differences between them are few, mainly a different wrapper (mp4) and higher compression with S. and both use a LongGOP compression scheme. Basically, XAVC-S is just a crippled version of XAVC-L. 

As far as the FS5 goes, the good news is that Sony seems to have included a 150mbps bit rate for 8-bit 4:2:2 UHD in the LongGOP standard, so it's possible that it's just a matter of turning it on in firmware. Also, according to a year old paper, they have two more LongGOP UHD modes to be implemented in the "future". Specifically, 140mbps and 200mbps for 10-bit 4:2:2 UHD. 

http://www.xavc-info.org/xavc/share/data/XAVC_Naming_per_OperatingPoints.pdf

OK lets demand 10 bit XAVC QFHD Long422 200mbps. 

• Administrators

@Andrew

Would you please upload an example of the 10bit codec? Would love to see how it performs in After Effects and Premiere... Thank you!

Uploading now, 250MB zip with following:

Scene 1
4K 8bit SLOG 2 (Color mode: Stills) WB 3200, 1/50
4K 8bit SLOG 3 (Color mode: S.Gamut3.Cine 3200K) 1/50
1080p 10bit SLOG 2 (Color mode: Stills) WB 3200, 1/50

Scene 2
4K 8bit SLOG 2 (Color mode: Stills) WB 3200, 1/50
1080p 10bit SLOG 2 (Color mode: Stills) WB 3200, 1/50

If there's anything else you guys want to see let me know.