Samsung NX1 motion cadence & sharpening issues ?

kidzrevil

Lately I've been shooting a lot more with the nx1 since we've received native support from Adobe. I shoot mostly everything handheld and I notice an issue similar to when the detail setting on Sony a7 cameras are cranked up. When panning or in my case the handheld motion the image can go soft temporarily then get really sharp as if the in camera sharpening is waiting for a static frame to apply its sharpening algorithim. 

As far as motion cadence is concerned I notice really jerky motion no matter the shutter speed. High or low it's stuttering. Maybe somewhere down the line I'M messing something up. Has anyone noticed these issues with the camera ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The jerky motion could be caused by lens stabilization, especially since you say it's not dependent on shutter speed.

As for the sharpening, that is kinda the normal behaviour of simple spatial sharpening. If you take a blurry picture and apply x amount of sharpening, the effect seems to be small. Take a sharp picture and apply same sharpening and the effect seems very strong.

Therefore the jerky motion + sharpening will accentuate the jerkiness even more.

Idk, I'm a newbie to all this, but if you ask me... it seems like a classic case of demonic possession. ?

But seriously that is strange. I think I may have noticed it in your video with the glass jars or vases. It almost looked like an extreme case of rolling shutter?

Idk, I'm a newbie to all this, but if you ask me... it seems like a classic case of demonic possession. ?

But seriously that is strange. I think I may have noticed it in your video with the glass jars or vases. It almost looked like an extreme case of rolling shutter?

yeah its in that video ! You notice it on the edges of objects. I think this issue has gone unnoticed since most people choose to shoot stabilised or on tripods

yeah its in that video ! You notice it on the edges of objects. I think this issue has gone unnoticed since most people choose to shoot stabilised or on tripods

Wait, which video? I can't see anything.  And Micah Mahaffey's video seems fine to me, that panning in the beginning isn't bad at all (viewed on youtube is not so easy to judge though.).

Wait, which video? I can't see anything.  And Micah Mahaffey's video seems fine to me, that panning in the beginning isn't bad at all (viewed on youtube is not so easy to judge though.).

no. He's talking about this video https://vimeo.com/150459013

I haven't noticed this.  I mean there will be motion blur because that's to be expected unless you're shooting at a really fast shutter.  Is the image still soft for a second after the camera stops moving?  Is this something you see in your NLE or do you see in an exported file?

I see it in both ! It's like the Sony A7 cameras with detail settings up. It's soft when you pan but the moment the image is locked down and stable the sharpness cranks up. Funny I never had this issue when I used to transcode the h.265 files. Hopefully its not my specific cam body

Does this music video I shot with the nx1 have the problem you're talking about?

thought I replied to this already oops ! Nah I don't see it in this video but youtube isn't a great place to judge these things as they tend to compress the original file beyond belief. Great video btw

Found a potential explanation and solution. Its been an issue since the gh2

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/526/gh2-stutterjudderstrobe-issues-discussion/p5

I agree with this conclusion of one user:

proaudio4 August 2011

Of course judder will always seem more on sharp contrast images!!!!
This is due to you can actually see the edge of the moving image! When an image is out of focus, you do not see edges as well.... of course..

or try 1/30th:

Kount_Michula August 2011
Also, you may wish to experiment with slower shutter speeds with moving shots. I find a 1/30th shutter all but eliminates judder no matter what the speed of the pan. My initial impression is that 1/30th has a more "filmic" look in motion than 1/50th, even though it doesn't obey the 180 degree shutter rule.

I agree with this conclusion of one user:

proaudio4 August 2011

Of course judder will always seem more on sharp contrast images!!!!
This is due to you can actually see the edge of the moving image! When an image is out of focus, you do not see edges as well.... of course..

or try 1/30th:

Kount_Michula August 2011
Also, you may wish to experiment with slower shutter speeds with moving shots. I find a 1/30th shutter all but eliminates judder no matter what the speed of the pan. My initial impression is that 1/30th has a more "filmic" look in motion than 1/50th, even though it doesn't obey the 180 degree shutter rule.

1/30th shutter speed? Has anyone here tried this?