Red One MX - Why I bought one

Mattias Burling

40 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Wrong topic. Post this in the sticky "Gear For Sale" topic.

While I'm aware that this isn't the "Gear for Sale" section of the forum,  my comment was posted here because the Ursa mini 4k has been discussed throughout this topic.

The OP: Mattias Burling details why he chose to buy a used Red One MX over other options available including the Ursa Mini, so I was just informing those within this discussion that I may have one for sale, if there was any interest.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/7/2016 at 3:23 PM, Ed_David said:

The F35 looks the most natural, like it was shot on 35mm film.  It pops - it gets the blue highlights in skintones right - it gets the motion right. It handles light like film handles light.

But the Red One has a certain feel that is also quite beautiful - as you see in Mattias's test - there is something lovely about it.  

But, the f35 handles color as naturally as possible, so I would go for the F35 for most stuff.  Unless well , if the director likes the red one look - and some days I like it better.  Depends I guess on the project, but I wouldn't rule either out.  I guess, for darker, sci-fi or horror type stuff, the Red One feels really good.

For drama, narrative, historical, indie, etc, the F35 feels the best.

I like the red one mx a lot more now.  I really finally appreciate a nice high-resolution sensor, thanks to now having the Sony F65.  Seeing the difference.

I still like the sony f35, but I think I was overdoing it on the kool aid over at dvxuser.

If anyone wants to buy my last, f35, let me know.  Will get you a really good deal.  It works great.

7 hours ago, andrgl said:

Not kool-aid, more like finely aged CCD wine.

CCD technology is definitely quite interesting, but I wish the camera was able to do raw as well.  Raw would have let me use more than slog1, to take advantage of its beautiful sensor.  This is the beauty of the digital bolex and ikonscope cameras - that combination I find perfect.

I think, when history shines back on our industry, (not that it really will) - it will kind of show how the weird looking red one, once it shifted to the MX, did actually change the high-end camera market and made Sony eat humble pie on their 250,000 dollar F35.

15 hours ago, Ed_David said:

CCD technology is definitely quite interesting, but I wish the camera was able to do raw as well.  Raw would have let me use more than slog1, to take advantage of its beautiful sensor.  This is the beauty of the digital bolex and ikonscope cameras - that combination I find perfect.

I am pretty excited for whatever Digital Bolex comes up with next (whenever that happens). I really hope that CCD has even more to give, or that they explore something like QuantumFilm sensors.

45 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I think a s35 version of the d16 sensor in a higher end body would be pretty desirable to narrative/studio/hobbyist shooters.

I talked to Elle about that at NAB. She said that would be the dream. But for now with the BMPCC speed booster you do get super 35 already and it looks great. 

5 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I talked to Elle about that at NAB. She said that would be the dream. But for now with the BMPCC speed booster you do get super 35 already and it looks great. 

Well, it's about a 1.7x crop, which is closer to flat 35 than s35. Plus it's not a CCD, which is half the equation. I think CCD + S35 + RAW is what we're after.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Well, it's about a 1.7x crop, which is closer to flat 35 than s35. Plus it's not a CCD, which is half the equation. I think CCD + S35 + RAW is what we're after.

Sure it's a CCD, that's one of the keys for the Bolex image.

Same reason my new M8 looks so lovley :)

15 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Ya that's the whole point of Bolex. Raw CCD 35. What else you want? Lol. Rent one and try it out. It's a gorgeous camera. I've loved my times using it 

6 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Has anyone tried using the BMPCC SB on the DB16? I'd be afraid the optics might hit the sensor glass.

Yes. I posted about it a while ago in Eds thread about 1dc and bmmcc. Shot a wedding with the d16 with bmpcc speed booster and 18-35. Loved it. Did a confusing test with it too. It doesn't hit the sensor at all and digital Bolex has officially confirmed that themselves too

• 1 year later...
53 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Any one considering the RED ONE in 2018?!

I don't think so. The risk is high that something gets broken. + There are lots of affordable camera's out there that outspec this camera. As The mysterium-X sensor is quite old with only 12 stops of DR and dont forget the red one itself is quite clunky.

20 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Any one considering the RED ONE in 2018?!

RED ONE MX (forget about the first version), is an incredible camera, but it is very heavy, and there are many other options out there which are better, but if you don't mine to use a heavy camera and you get it for a very good price with all its extras (monitor, SSD, etc), then could be an option to consider, to be honest the risk something get broken is low, the camera is really a tank, just make sure you tested it before you buy it, and be sure everything is working.