EM5 II for videos? Am I about to make a mistake?

dvcrn

Hi EOSHD guys! First time poster here. 

I am currently using a RX100M3 for videos but really want something a bit more solid with more lens options. I love the form factor but it is still a bit lacking. I was sure I was going to pick either the m4, a6000 or a5100 (because of the flip screen) but wasn't quite happy about the missing mic-in. When I went to the store to poke a bit around with the a6000, I saw the em5 II on display and kind of fell in love with it. 

The build quality of this thing is amazing and when I saw stabilised footage compared to other cameras I was blown away, but the more I research about it (including this blog), the more I feel like this camera is not a good choice for videos. 

I have around 1100(-ish) bucks to spend on a new camera. I've been looking at the GH4 as well but I am still more a hobby-ist and the IBIS would help me a lot. I love shooting ultra wide angle and lens choices in that field that have OIS are a bit limited.

What do you guys think? Should I just wait for the a7000 or EM1 II? Is the EM5 II still a viable option (despite image quality and lack of LOG)? How about something else? GH4? GX8?

I do stills as well but am more a video guy. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It really depends on how much you value the IBIS from Olympus versus resolution which it lacks. 

If you plan doing a lot of handheld shooting with movements and relatively shallow DoF then E-M5ii can be of great value. But if you do static shots with large DoF then a GH4 with a stabilized lens might give you what you want.  

I think you will be better off trying the camera for yourself. Get if from a large retailer that accepts returns... 

You can go back read my posts on the camera if you wish; it'll give you insight to my context.  You can see some videos I've done with it too.  Bottom line: I like it just fine.  

If I was shooting ultra wide, not sure what the stabilizing would be practically offering me though?  Ultra wide shooting doesn't really need stabilization.

AS for the EMII, I have two $100-ish speed boosters for it plus a bunch of basic dumb adapters.  It all works good and the old Canon FD and EOS glass looks good.  Nice thing about speedsboosters and dumb adapters, it'll give you 2 focal lengths with one lens.

I'm a firm believer in shooting motion picture with manual focus.  The peaking and EVF is strong enough to allow focusing by eye.  That's really great. 

Anyway, even though I have 4 M4/3 prime lenses, about a dozen other misc primes, and the Oly 12-40 proZoom, I shoot most video stuff with an old 55mm FD lens and the speedbooster.  I like the focal length AND the extra heft that old glass provides.

I do recommend the shooting ergonomics with the extra battery grip, in my opinion.

Shortcomings: with modern glass the image does moire.  Meh.  Not a deal breaker for me.  The older adapted glass reduces the moire, FWIW.

You can go back read my posts on the camera if you wish; it'll give you insight to my context.  You can see some videos I've done with it too.  Bottom line: I like it just fine.  

If I was shooting ultra wide, not sure what the stabilizing would be practically offering me though?  Ultra wide shooting doesn't really need stabilization.

AS for the EMII, I have two $100-ish speed boosters for it plus a bunch of basic dumb adapters.  It all works good and the old Canon FD and EOS glass looks good.  Nice thing about speedsboosters and dumb adapters, it'll give you 2 focal lengths with one lens.

I'm a firm believer in shooting motion picture with manual focus.  The peaking and EVF is strong enough to allow focusing by eye.  That's really great. 

Anyway, even though I have 4 M4/3 prime lenses, about a dozen other misc primes, and the Oly 12-40 proZoom, I shoot most video stuff with an old 55mm FD lens and the speedbooster.  I like the focal length AND the extra heft that old glass provides.

I do recommend the shooting ergonomics with the extra battery grip, in my opinion.

Shortcomings: with modern glass the image does moire.  Meh.  Not a deal breaker for me.  The older adapted glass reduces the moire, FWIW.

hmmm so it's a go in terms of video with the Olympus camera's ? I'm currently shooting with the NX1 which I will reserve for paid gigs. I'm looking for something for quick turnarounds for personal projects and "shoot and burn" style work. I hear the Olympus allows immense customization of image I just want to shoot send to ipad edit there and upload to IG. A bloggers dream

I'm looking for something for quick turnarounds for personal projects

I mean, any camera would work for that.  The EM5II is nice because it's got the best in-cam stabilization.  Certainly, if you know how to shoot, it helps getting quick shots.  If you don't, well, it ain't gonna cure those ills.

I mean, any camera would work for that.  The EM5II is nice because it's got the best in-cam stabilization.  Certainly, if you know how to shoot, it helps getting quick shots.  If you don't, well, it ain't gonna cure those ills.

ha...I know how to shoot. I'll do some research on it, thank you

Don't get me wrong, what I wrote is not a personal slight, I'm just saying the EM5II is a great tool to have, but it's not a panacea to getting wonderful footage.  It can help for certain things, depending on whatcha do.

nah I get you I'm not taking any offense to it. As per video there is just a lot of ambiguity surrounding the camera you know ? not enough tests and material to go off of but for stills it is extremely well documented and reviewed. My ideal set up for it would be the 0.64 Nikon speed booster so I can get an aps-h look with it

Thanks for the comments guys! Glad to hear that at least some people like it for video. The thing that makes me hesitate of course is that for the same price, I can get already cameras that are more sufficient for video but well, without IBIS. 

Maybe to re-phrase my questions: Do you think the EM5II is a camera that could help me with the transition from hobbyist to more serious? I value the IBIS very high because I don't want to buy more and more equipment or anytime soon. When I shot with my RX100III I hated the micro-shakes especially taking a step. 

Is the IBIS something that makes my enthusiast life easier or am I valuing it a bit too high? 

Is the image quality something that needs professional hands to look good or is it something that hobbyists / enthusiasts can get around too? 

I want to of course avoid buying another camera in a few months :)

"Do you think the EM5II is a camera that could help me with the transition from hobbyist to more serious?"

Depends what you mean by "serious". I'm not sure that "serious" work has much to do with equipment. You can work on your story and editing skills using just about any camera. Skills which, unlike the camera, won't become obsolete in 24 months (or less)...

Is the em5ii the newer one or is that the em1 ? Which is the best body out for olympus right now ?

It really is how you use it more than anything and what you can find with it. Hell having that approach with a T2i can even get you far. By the way some filters work for a lot of cameras. I really do suggest the HD TV/FX. If it helped crappy Mini DV camcorders get a film look then I think it can help you as well with that Olympus. Try to find third party solutions too. And if it risks the warranty, play with the camera until it expires and then use the solution. Reason is that it would drop low in price and even if you can't sell it back. You can buy it back for cheap and try again or even get it repaired for cheap by third party repair stores. I go to those guys to even customize my camera equipment. They did it to my DSLR. By the way: Be bold, but be careful.

agreed. The tiffen filters are tried & true ! I mainly use the black pro mists and warm black pro mists and they take my footage to another level

Shoot with the new flat mode (which is not log but similar to cine modes of Sony) and grade with rec709 LUTs. 

I didn't read many good things about the flat mode. Do you have some footage shot in flat (graded and ungraded) by chance? 

I didn't read many good things about the flat mode. Do you have some footage shot in flat (graded and ungraded) by chance? 

Don't confuse critical review with bitching. People are rarely happy these days and mostly look like spoiled consumerists. 

I believe that an aggressive log profile would be disaster with such a camera. Even on my A7rII Cine modes deliver much better results than s-log2. 

This is from Andrew's report on the new firmware here

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.4c64d528b33c5d13359

Here is a test found on Vimeo:

Here is a test found on youtube. 

Don't confuse critical review with bitching. People are rarely happy these days and mostly look like spoiled consumerists. 

I believe that an aggressive log profile would be disaster with such a camera. Even on my A7rII Cine modes deliver much better results than s-log2. 

This is from Andrew's report on the new firmware here

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.4c64d528b33c5d13359

Here is a test found on Vimeo:

Here is a test found on youtube. 

glad someone said it ! The cine modes on the sony's are better than slog. Slog is just not ready for an 8bit codec ! I digress 

"don't confuse critical review with bitching"

love it