Dynamic Range Optimisation

richg101

I been playing with a neat little feature called 'DRO' what it seems to be doing is adjusting the sensor ISO depending on the brightness of each element within the frame, so, as far as I can understand parts of the sensor are running at the base ISO which you set, then other parts then get raised or lowered depending on how exposed each element of the subject is.

So far i have tested by exposing for the sky (with the settings I used, 100iso took the image to just below clipping) and naturally the ground level will be under exposed. But it is clear that with DRO turned on the ground level exposure is better (maybe by more than 1 stop), while the sky is still exposed the same as I originally set. If you go the other way and expose for the ground level (lets say 400iso) the sky is clipped when DRO is turned off, but when you enable DRO the sky is brought back down to the exposure I saw when the ISO was originally set to 100iso.

I have run a few tests, both straight out of the camera and post processed to see how the footage holds up. And from my initial findings it seems the DRO is adjusting sensor ISO for separate areas of the sensor depending on the brightness of each element in frame.

Have a look and download the footage to get a better idea. I'd love to hear your opinions. Is this adjustment being done at ISO level or as an in camera post processing technique in the same way picture profiles are achieved? The effect is clearly visible in realtime during recording with no lag but when using the DRO in still mode it seems the effect is applied after the image is taken.

Straight out of camera:- http://www.vimeo.com/57541462

Colour corrected:- http://www.vimeo.com/57558654

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've played with these too on the RX100.

I found Portrait at minimum contrast has the greatest dynamic range, then Sunset. I have DRO on all the time at about 3.

Put together, these two things get you pretty close to a Cinestyle type profile.

It seems to me that DRO is just pushing up the blacks, but doesn't pull back highlights.

I've played with these too on the RX100.

I found Portrait at minimum contrast has the greatest dynamic range, then Sunset. I have DRO on all the time at about 3.

Put together, these two things get you pretty close to a Cinestyle type profile.

It seems to me that DRO is just pushing up the blacks, but doesn't pull back highlights.

I think you're right.  highlights don't seem to be affected.  it just pulls up the blacks.  The main issue is that DRO seems to be dynamic, changing depending on exposure levels.  if you have a dark subject moving around in front of a white background it might take time to adjust meaning parts of the white background around the dark subject might get boosted slightly until it auto adjusts.