Changing from a GH4 to Samsung Nx1 opionins

bigp

Thanks for the help...

Kidzrevil, I here what you are saying regards holding out till the GH5 but I suppose the deals on the samsung are turning my head, I too like the super 35mm aesthetic and high res stills. I reckon you are right that to get the best out of it NX1 for stills it probably needs the 16-50 f/2-2.8. I would still use my contax zeiss lens (35-70mm / 50mm / 135mm) for video.

Mattias, that is a very kind offer, where did you see the deal NX1 with the 16-50mm f/2-2.8... was it online or a local store?

I still like my GH4 but also like trying out something new... decisions decisions, here is a bit of work I shot mostly on the panny:

http://padraigcunningham.com/?wpb_portfolio=emergent-properties

http://padraigcunningham.com/?wpb_portfolio=herewego

Again I appreciate the advice.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think I get what you are saying. You are saying on the NX1 it will take an extremely high performing lens for you to see a difference in quality with your pictures because the camera is rendering a high quality image with any lens ? vs on full frame if a lens is low end the low end qualities will be more apparent ? Sorry for all the questions. I know on my a7s my FD's look better than on my nx1 in terms of character but on the nx1 they are way way sharper

Higher resolution sensors (photosites/area) need higher quality lenses. So an ideal FF lens that had the resolving power of 16MP on a S35 sensor (and would be not good for NX1) , would be very good on a 24MP FF sensor. 

If you talking about stills, the differences that you see between the NX1 and the A7s in resolution have to do with the fact that the A7s is only a 12MP sensor.

Thanks for the help...

Kidzrevil, I here what you are saying regards holding out till the GH5 but I suppose the deals on the samsung are turning my head, I too like the super 35mm aesthetic and high res stills. I reckon you are right that to get the best out of it NX1 for stills it probably needs the 16-50 f/2-2.8. I would still use my contax zeiss lens (35-70mm / 50mm / 135mm) for video.

Mattias, that is a very kind offer, where did you see the deal NX1 with the 16-50mm f/2-2.8... was it online or a local store?

I still like my GH4 but also like trying out something new... decisions decisions, here is a bit of work I shot mostly on the panny:

bro I heard of some wild deals on the internet like $600 for an nx1 body ! If you can find a deal by all means grab it ! Next thing you know Samsung releases a "We were just kidding about shutting down lol" press release and everyone is gonna grab the cam now that adobe supports h.265.

Ya, I seen a link to this crazy deal but they don't ship outside of Switzerland:

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/samsung-nx1-body-black-28mp-cameras-2759475

Its so weird they are getting out of the camera business with such a great product., who the hell knows whats going on. But the deal Mattias mentioned with the lens sounds great? Need to sleep on it!

Ya, I seen a link to this crazy deal but they don't ship outside of Switzerland:

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/samsung-nx1-body-black-28mp-cameras-2759475

Its so weird they are getting out of the camera business with such a great product., who the hell knows whats going on. But the deal Mattias mentioned with the lens sounds great? Need to sleep on it!

good luck man !

• Super Members

Thanks for the help...

Its just some guy at a classified. Im a bit tempted to pick it up and then sell the lens on ebay.

The thing is that anything not Canikon is impossible to sell used in Sweden. And our used prices are low from the get go.

A Panasonic G7 is now somerhing like $450 new in the store. That means $225 used. Same with Sony. They are concidered to be in a lower class.

And Samsung.. No body here even knows they make cameras. They will be filed under "other" together with chinese Gopro clones.

They are the Toshiba Happy Book of cameras.

Great for people like me :)

Hi all,  love the forum, I'm a long time reader, I don't post often but I was hoping to get a bit of advice on changing from the GH4 to the Samsung NX1. Basically I am an artist and make short experimental films to exhibit in a gallery context. I also shoot a fair bit of photos as research and sometimes as artworks.  I have a GH4 and as most people know it's a solid video camera but I find it a bit lacking in photos department (of course this could be just me). The Samsung looks to be a great option for both particularly as the price is dropping below €1000 but I am a bit worried about the fact they are getting out of the photo business. 

I do like the images coming from the NX1 so do people thing it is worth changing? I can only really afford one camera so I will probably sell my GH4 to cover the costs. I currently have three 4/3 lenses (panny 14mm / sigma 2.8 30mm / olympus 45mm 1.8) but I also have a few contax zeiss lens for the video side of things so I think I can adapt these to the samsung?

My ideal camera would be the Sony A&s II with is full frame sensor and image stabilisation but I won't be able to afford it any time soon. My main worries with the samsung is the editing the codec on my imac and the rumors of them leaving the business. Also I would need to invest in a couple of auto focus  (the 30mm pancake looks like good value to start).

So do you reckon its worth changing?

thanks

P

Paddy, to me your kind of work (and what you say you need) screams Canon 5D (2 or 3). Superb stills - and for the experimental/art video RAW is an obvious choice and fine to use in controlled scenarios.

Lintelfilm... I had a canon 550D before my GH4 and I got some good results with it, but the panny is so far ahead for video... it just a far better allrounder. Also the RAW workflow on a 5D puts me off... but it is a great stills camera for sure.

Mattias, I don't think I will see any of the NX1 in the classified in Ireland, most of the main camera shops don't sell them so scarce on the round. If you ever pick up an extra one and want to pass it on give me a shout.... I am sure we could do a deal :)

• Super Members

Lintelfilm... I had a canon 550D before my GH4 and I got some good results with it, but the panny is so far ahead for video... it just a far better allrounder. Also the RAW workflow on a 5D puts me off... but it is a great stills camera for sure.

Mattias, I don't think I will see any of the NX1 in the classified in Ireland, most of the main camera shops don't sell them so scarce on the round. If you ever pick up an extra one and want to pass it on give me a shout.... I am sure we could do a deal :)

Make me an offer worth my while and I will buy it for you :)

there's also a couple of ebay.co.uk places selling new 50-150 S lenses in box, not gray market, for less than $1200, retail is $1600. I've seen the 16-50 S lens for less than $1k. The 30mm samsung pancake is less than $150 at many places.

In the prime non-samsung lens department, I also really like the Samyang 85mm T1,5 AS IF UMC VDSLR II for Canon EOS or Nikon mount, $370. Use with a $50 adapter.

.....the 5D is wildly overpriced and overrated compared to what's out. But then again you can get great images with anything. If you want full frame I'd say look for a used sony a7s or ball out and get the a7sii. 12mp is good enough for most uses especially small prints 8 x 10 to 16 x 20. Trust me the NX1 is great for both stills and video. I just came from the full frame sensor of the a7s and all I miss is the iso performance in video. The nx1 in stills is good up to 6400 with noise reduction and downsized to 16mp if you wanna be critical

I too graduated from a 550D to a GH4 (via a D5300 and G6) so am well aware of the advantages. In fact I'm also an artist by the way (10 years in art school for my sins). However shooting RAW on a 5DIII is a million miles away from shooting h264 on a 550D. A million miles. 

I'd recommend a BMPCC/BMCC over a Magic Lantern'ed 5D if you weren't after stills as well, but I don't think you should be intimidated by the workflow. From my point of view RAW - or at least 10bit ProRes - is the only way to go if you're serious about getting creative with the visual side of video. It's digital film.

I do documentary stuff now so can't handle the Magic Lantern workflow but the BMPCC in ProRes mode is a great compromise. As soon as it's available here in the UK I'm going to buy a BM Video Assist to pair with my GH4 so that will also give me 10bit ProRes - that may be worth considering yourself instead of buying a new camera? 

Personally I really like the GH4 for stills. For video I use a Speed Booster and (90% of the time) a Sigma 18-35mm, but for stills I have a Leica MFT 25mm f1.4 which is great. 

I do like the NX1's colours a little more than the GH4 but I don't think there's enough of a difference between them to justify swapping. I chose the GH4 over the NX1 because its such a workhorse in terms of features and useability. 

Having said all of that I generally much prefer the images and (now it's fully rigged-up) useability of my BMPCC.

.....the 5D is wildly overpriced and overrated compared to what's out. But then again you can get great images with anything.

You can get a used 5DII for about $800 and a 5DIII for about $1600 here in the UK.

In terms of image quality alone (and particularly what can be done with it creatively in post) RAW video from the 5DII and III is way ahead of ANY of the other hybrid cameras. Unless you think fake 4K resolution in 8bits is more important than true 1080 with 14bit of colour depth. Most pros I've come across who have replaced their 5D's with a Sony A7 camera or GH4, etc, have acknowledged that it was largely for ease of use, and that they still prefer the the 5D RAW image. 

The NX1 is a great camera but it's not perfect. None of them are. 

I too graduated from a 550D to a GH4 (via a D5300 and G6) so am well aware of the advantages. In fact I'm also an artist by the way (10 years in art school for my sins). However shooting RAW on a 5DIII is a million miles away from shooting h264 on a 550D. A million miles. 

I'd recommend a BMPCC/BMCC over a Magic Lantern'ed 5D if you weren't after stills as well, but I don't think you should be intimidated by the workflow. From my point of view RAW - or at least 10bit ProRes - is the only way to go if you're serious about getting creative with the visual side of video. It's digital film.

I do documentary stuff now so can't handle the Magic Lantern workflow but the BMPCC in ProRes mode is a great compromise. As soon as it's available here in the UK I'm going to buy a BM Video Assist to pair with my GH4 so that will also give me 10bit ProRes - that may be worth considering yourself instead of buying a new camera? 

Personally I really like the GH4 for stills. For video I use a Speed Booster and (90% of the time) a Sigma 18-35mm, but for stills I have a Leica MFT 25mm f1.4 which is great. 

I do like the NX1's colours a little more than the GH4 but I don't think there's enough of a difference between them to justify swapping. I chose the GH4 over the NX1 because its such a workhorse in terms of features and useability. 

Having said all of that I generally much prefer the images and (now it's fully rigged-up) useability of my BMPCC.

You can get a used 5DII for about $800 and a 5DIII for about $1600 here in the UK.

In terms of image quality alone (and particularly what can be done with it creatively in post) RAW video from the 5DII and III is way ahead of ANY of the other hybrid cameras. Unless you think fake 4K resolution in 8bits is more important than true 1080 with 14bit of colour depth. Most pros I've come across who have replaced their 5D's with a Sony A7 camera or GH4, etc, have acknowledged that it was largely for ease of use, and that they still prefer the the 5D RAW image. 

The NX1 is a great camera but it's not perfect. None of them are. 

fake 4k ? From which camera model cause the a7rii,a7sii & without question the gh4 & nx1 are outputting 4k while the nx1 is downsampling from 6.5k. I doubt this guy wants to deal with the file sizes and workflow from shooting raw with the 5d, in fact I think he has said such. To be honest with you idc what the "pros" say. You hear pro's raving about the a7 line all day. You hear pro's saying they are in love with the gh4. I can't deny that you can get a phenomenal image out of it, I just said it's overrated imo especially considering it has to be hacked and a new workflow has to be introduced to work with the files (we are allowed to have preferences and opinions right ?) And I have not even alluded that the nx1 is the perfect camera. These magic unicorn camera's don't exist. It has its share of problems like my t3i,gh4,gh3 & a7s had. I can DEAL with its problems and extract an image from it that I much appreciate.

If you personally love the 5d3 more power to you. There are "pro's" who dont mind picking up a t3i. I personally cant find these dirt cheap 5d's. On ebay I see em for 2k + dollars which is out this guys budget.

so to the guy who made this thread, rent an nx1 if you are interested. From my PERSONAL experience I don't think you are losing if you get one. 

That's it for me

Hi guys, the magic lantern workflow on the 5D does seem a lot of extra hassle even tho the images are great. In Ireland they hold their value as well.

I actually owned a BMPC and sort of regret selling it, I had it with the original firmware and had to return it with some dead pixels, plus the poor screen and battery life was a bit of a pain. Once it is rigged up it works fine but I did not invest in it, so moved it on. I loved the prores files it produced and sometimes used raw... great for grading but for the way I work I prefer having a cam that can shoot top stills and video plus good erogonimcs. Thats why the NX1 is tuning my head and also I am on a tight budget. If cash was not to much of a concern I would probably looking at one of the sonys... A7r II, full frame, 42mp and IS looks the business.

As mentioned none of the cameras are perfect and a bit of talent can make any of them shine. We are in lucky times that there are good options for any budget, in reality all the camera mentioned are dam good. The GH4 I have is cool but I do like some of the footage I am seeing coming from the samsung.