Sony FS5 - why I bought one

Andrew Reid

It's an ok image... solid... but I still think the FS5 is capable of more. 8bit 4K 4:2:0 looks better on the FS5 than the best 8bit 1080p 4:2:2 from the C100 II.

How can you say this without doing a side-by-side comparison of both cameras under exactly the same conditions?

Sometimes a camera will seem pretty good by itself, but when compared side-by-side to other cameras, things like color and skintones become very apparent- the results may surprise you.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looking forward to seeing some footage. I always want to like Sony but their low-mid range camera images aren't my favorite. Hopefully FS5 will look more like the higher end FS7, F55.

I totally agree with you on this. The high end Sony cams and the old F35 look fantastic, but then I look at things like Bloom's FS5 film "The Wood Carver" and think skin looks like plastic. I try to find other grading styles and see so much brown and orange-looking footage everywhere. Based on so many with such positives when it comes to A7s, FS5 etc.. I'm still holding out hope that it can make an image that would truly make me happy if I spent the money, but just when I think footage looks decent the same film includes stuff that really doesn't.

I totally agree with you on this. The high end Sony cams and the old F35 look fantastic, but then I look at things like Bloom's FS5 film "The Wood Carver" and think skin looks like plastic. I try to find other grading styles and see so much brown and orange-looking footage everywhere. Based on so many with such positives when it comes to A7s, FS5 etc.. I'm still holding out hope that it can make an image that would truly make me happy if I spent the money, but just when I think footage looks decent the same film includes stuff that really doesn't.

I haven't seen that till now. Damn. He filtered the shit out of that. Hard to judge image quality.

has sony finally made the ultimate vimeo camera test camera? I can't wait to see lots of slow motion shots of grass blowing in the wind or some drab english beach, set to some pirated music. Meanwhile, trying to assess this as a filmmaking camera: all the footage I've seen looks horrible.

• Administrators

has sony finally made the ultimate vimeo camera test camera? I can't wait to see lots of slow motion shots of grass blowing in the wind or some drab english beach, set to some pirated music. Meanwhile, trying to assess this as a filmmaking camera: all the footage I've seen looks horrible.

And your contribution is......... ?

to quote Ricky Gervais...   "It's better to create something that others criticise than to create nothing & criticise others".

And your contribution is......... ?

um... my opinion? this is a forum right? Or is this big dicks club and now I have to show you mine? 

I don't like any of the pictures I've seen come out of this camera. But I'm sure we'll see a lot of test videos from very happy owners who love the specs sheet. 

Thats my opinion.  Pictures are subjective things. They are like seaweed being pushed and pulled in the ocean of peoples preferences and prejudices. I don't care about the specs or even the resolution really. But I care about pictures... I guess in a more esoteric sense. If I was buying a camera to shoot a movie on, I would pick something else. A camera that can reproduce colours, that creates rich, immersive images. The stuff I've seen from this camera looks like flat video with colours like puke.

But maybe you'll figure out how to bend it right to get some good results with it, you're a clever guy. Enjoy your camera and I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

I like. I don't like. I like. I don't like. I like. I don't like. I like. I don't like. I like. I don't like. I like. I don't like. I like. I don't like. I like. I don't like. I like. I don't like. I like. I don't like.

Oh the duality.

• Administrators

S-LOG and Canon LOG can be matched. In any situation. I'd even say S-LOG has an edge in some cases.

It's true Sony have some puke like colour profiles and dreadful camera colours in the past but they are getting better all the time.

The FS7 / FS5 / A7R II / A7S II do great Canon-matching colours if you can grade S-LOG without fucking it up. There's a lot of ugly grading out there.

Agree top looks more like Sony color, bottom looks more like Canon. Additionally, bottom has shallower DOF; full frame vs Super 35.

Shooting a live person is the real test- skintones are the toughest to get right.

Here I matched the C300 II to the A7S II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ulmgc_a39Q

The Canon looked great with little work needed, it took a lot more to get the A7S II to match the Canon (still not perfect, but close enough for a test. C300 II has much more detail). That's the point people are making about Canon/ARRI/Red Dragon-(or later): when time is money, the tools which provide the best quality in the least amount of time will be used, even when the tools cost a bit more up front. Over time, the cost is much less due to less time in post. For hobbyists who only shoot tests, for fun, family, etc., this point doesn't really matter: initial cost is more important.

Sony is indeed getting better with color, however Canon is still ahead (as is ARRI and Red), especially in challenging light (multiple and/or gapped spectrum sources). The best way to see this is to shoot with both cameras on the same shoots in the same conditions.

The C300 II currently has the best skintones + autofocus of any camera at any price. Would love to see ARRI/Red come out with an even better autofocus/assisted-manual focus system.

• Administrators

hmm, the name of the jpgs says the opposite, but the last one really looks more like a 1DC...

You're right, the file names give it away!

They look close though don't they, considering 500Mbit 4:2:2 on the 1D C and just 100Mbit 4:2:0 on the FS5.

Grading is a powerful tool!

Grading is powerful... But it is not a garunteed safety net.

I find Sony has a slight blue/magenta cast on skintones... When you warm those skintones to make them more natural, you also warm areas of the scene that then could look unnatural.

The gap is getting smaller though... Looking forward to testing the FS5... With raw, it could be a winner.