Sony FS5 - why I bought one

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't tend to enable Gain terminology on the camera, I use ISO. So it does it in ISO mode over a certain value as well?

In all values above base ISO, no matter what Color mode or Picture Profile. I am very certain it has to do with the sensor readout + noise @ UHD. Did you check my Vimeo link earlier in the thread? My 4k upgraded F5 does not show this problem at similar or higher gain settings.

• Administrators

I've not noticed it in S-LOG at ISO 3200 yet... Will test it some more and try and reproduce it.

I've not updated the firmware yet to the latest one, but I don't think that makes a difference.

I've set the colour mode for S-LOG 2 to Rec.709 and raised the blacks, trying to mimic Canon LOG. Early shots look good in this mode, not yet shot enough with it to know if I will keep this setting.

I've also been delving into the camera 'saved settings' XML file, unfortunately it's not a text file like on the original F5 where you could edit it to enable 4K! Would love to find a way to enable other codec options on the FS5!

In my opinion the raw tap can't come soon enough to the FS5. It isn't acceptable for Sony to keep putting out faulty firmware in release cameras or crippled codecs that aren't any better than what they have in a $1000 compact.

I've not noticed it in S-LOG at ISO 3200 yet... Will test it some more and try and reproduce it.

It won't happen at ISO3200 in SLog because that's the base ISO of the profile. Like ISO1000 is the base ISO of Cine4. It will only happen at higher ISOs (= adding gain to base ISO). In SLog, which is Sony's approach to mimic CineEI / film stock properties, you can only apply a sensitivity boost by applying Gain. 

• Administrators

Low light test. FS5 nowhere near as good as a7sii.

https://vimeo.com/148669030

It really depends.

If you count F1.2 at ISO 3200 low light and a well exposed image (I do) then the FS5 will be clean, as long as you don't mis-grade S-LOG in post and ramp up the black level.

ISO 6400 is also good. ISO 12,800 and up better using the A7S II.

The FS5 is certainly not a bad low light camera.

I don't count super clean ISO 800 to 3200 as bad in low light.

Better to compare it to the Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K or Red Dragon.

Rolling shutter is also nowhere nearly as bad as on the A7SII. 

It's a different sensor. It's a different product. 

It really depends.

If you count F1.2 at ISO 3200 low light and a well exposed image (I do) then the FS5 will be clean, as long as you don't mis-grade S-LOG in post and ramp up the black level.

ISO 6400 is also good. ISO 12,800 and up better using the A7S II.

The FS5 is certainly not a bad low light camera.

I don't count super clean ISO 800 to 3200 as bad in low light.

Better to compare it to the Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K or Red Dragon.

Yeah I think the FS5 would be an addition to the A7sii, not a replacement.  So maybe my kit bag would have both cameras and a bunch of FE glass.  When I'm filming action/daytime/slow-mo I use FS5. For ultra-shallow DOF/lowlight/gimbal work, a7sii (or a7rii).  

nice writeup. one question...you own(have owned) alot of gear, but I haven`t seen much of your work besides reviews so, are you such an enthusiast or you make a living with your gear?

Just what I was wondering too. All I ever see here are little camera test films which, although informative, don't really  relate to (my) real-life paid shoots. 

• Super Members

Just what I was wondering too. All I ever see here are little camera test films which, although informative, don't really  relate to (my) real-life paid shoots. 

Cant speak for others but Im not excactly allowed to share footage from work. It belongs to my employer or client.

I can only share stuff from home. And eventhough I just finished a 20min doc shot on the bmpcc, bmcc, bmpc4k and lx100 that I own completly, I wont share it because it then looses value when selling it to a network.

I can't share 95% of my stuff either, probably for the same reasons. It's just that reviewer's opinions gain in value for me when I know we are doing similar work, in a similar economic context, faced with similar working challenges and requirements concerning equipment reliability and ROI.

Do you guys think that Sony will ever make a FS5 like camera that uses the A7sII sensor?

It seems like the dream combo for alot of people that are used to DSLR style shooting, but would love the benefits of NDs, audio, 10 bit, raw out etc in a relatively small package.

• Super Members

I`m very aware of that, because it`s the same for me. but let`s just say that many of EU residents see my work daily :)

but I own very little of my own gear.

I used to work in sports broadcasting so pretty much anyone that has seen Rally, Soccer, Track or Tennis has seen my work ;)
(even though I was just one in a production chain of 
hundreds.)

I rarely freelance, but even then Im not often required to use my own gear. I usually have them rent something. On a daily basis my employer has always provided the gear. I buy stuff to use for personal projects and as an enthusiast.

Its also because I almost immediately started drifting from shooting, reporting and editing towards producing, directing and creating. So having some gear at home and playing around is a way to keep the skills fresh in case I ever quit to start my own or need extra cash.

But just to show something, Look at 00:04 in this commercial :)

So far I'm finding 10bit to be a bit of a pointless endeavour on the FS5, the 8bit 4K is much better. I am pretty sure they have only stuck it in for marketing purposes

Wow, that's really unfortunate. I didn't realise how low the bitrate in 10bit was on the FS5.

Hopefully a firmware update pushes it up to 200Mbit - or at least 100Mbit...