Short Film shot on the BMPCC and T3i (Upscaled to 4k)

Micah Mahaffey

from 0:00 to 1:34 is the T3i, and 1:40 to 13:59 is the Pocket, then it goes back to the t3i from 14:00 until 17:30.

I graded all the pocket cinema camera footage with Neumann luts "The Halfling profile" 

As a final render I upscaled everything to 4k and uploaded to youtube. So for best viewing results 4k is your best bet as it does benefit quite a bit with youtube compression. 

Let me know what you think :) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why'd you choose to upscale the footage to 4K? Does it really make a discernible difference? 

it absolutely does make a difference and its worth doing if you have the time. in my experience feeding youtube the highest quality file in every way possible gets the best end results, based on my testing. straight up 1080p uploads end up soooo soft.......

6cda59edce306605ac6aa23f58b70b840d6f56a8

it absolutely does make a difference and its worth doing if you have the time. in my experience feeding youtube the highest quality file in every way possible gets the best end results, based on my testing. straight up 1080p uploads end up soooo soft.......

6cda59edce306605ac6aa23f58b70b840d6f56a8

Why'd you choose to upscale the footage to 4K? Does it really make a discernible difference? 

EXACTLY! 4k on Youtube looks very close the the original footage before youtube compression. So 1080 uploaded in 4k is a huge benefit. For instance. If you watch my film above in 1080 the film grain/noise looks like blocky moving pixels and ruins the film look and feel, but in 4k mode it looks like fine grain and doesn't distract. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

WOW the t3i looks amazing, especially the day shots. SO filmic. Ironic how it looks better to me than GH4 4K images. The colour nd organic rendition is lovely. Still can make a theatrical feature on this baby! Your choice of lighting, music and camera motion is top notch.You're talented. 

What's your picture style and grading on the t3i?

I forgot to notice the cameras you used whilst watching this. It's a very well-told and well-made film. What sequencer do you use? BTW: you are right with the 4k viewing, but there are still a lot of compression artifacts left. You might try to dither the scenes with black shadows in them with a small dose of 'film grain'. Then you could upload again as ProResLT or DNxHD. Yeah, I know, a very massive file for almost 19 minutes, but no need to go over 1080 then. 

• 1 year later...
On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎31 at 11:50 PM, Mattias Burling said:

Youtube gives about 10mbit to HD and 30mbit to 4K.

So the upscale gives you a 30mbit HD file. Which is why today, 4K vs HD is pretty though to tell apart on youtube.

The source footage is effectively 700 lines of resolution, so it is going to stay 700 lines of resolution, upscaling or no upscaling. The only reason for doing what the OP did is to minimize the damage YouTube's compression does. And the approach only works if the viewer decides to view the 4K file on their HD screen rather than the HD version, otherwise you get the same heavy compression as before.

Real 4K footage however will retain most of the original resolution. Even at 30 mbps.

Upscaled HD out of a 3Ti is never going to match footage from a true 4K camera when viewed on a 4K device. It can only be equivalent when viewed on a lower resolution display, or when the angle of view is small. If your angle of view on your display is large and you have a 4K screen, you will see the difference immediately.

Could u please tell us what gear you used? 

My favourite scenes were the 3rd scene where the rich guy gets the box. Nice frameing, great lightning, beautiful colors. The beach close-ups were also really good.

At the first story scene the low light pushed the camera to the limits, but when you turn on the lights in the van, it's awesome too.

I like the sound mixing even with the minor slips.

So, what gear did you use with the BMPCC and the T3i? 50mm 1.4? Speedbooster on BM and sigma 18-35? Sound?