How to export to Prores in Adobe Premiere Pro CC for windows ?

kidzrevil

Exporting to pro res proxy was an essential step for me when uploading files to vimeo. It preserved grain and a bunch of other details. Since I have moved to a windows based platform I have either lost or simply cant find the option to export to prores from my adobe premiere pro cc timeline ! Does anyone know how or a reasonable alternative to prores exporting ? Thank you.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On a Mac, on the export popup, under format: select quicktime. Ignore the presets because it's not there. Below, under the Video tab, is Video Codec, ProRes is under there. I think it's the same on Windows but it's been a while since I used a Windows machine.

SS.png

On a Mac, on the export popup, under format: select quicktime. Ignore the presets because it's not there. Below, under the Video tab, is Video Codec, ProRes is under there. I think it's the same on Windows but it's been a while since I used a Windows machine.

SS.png

nah its not there on windows :(

No it isn't available in any Adobe product on Windows. Apple hasn't approved its use on Windows which is why it is not. Any software on windows that does offer it is doing so via a custom coded unapproved version of ProRes. Also the whole downscale to 10bit is an internet myth but there are gains in chroma sampling from downscaling.

DNxHD or DNxHR are one of the closest Prores equivalent export codecs in windows Adobe Premiere. If you are exporting for broadcast/ for a mac system, these .MXF formats are usually the most compatible. It's an AVID codec so any decent editor set up on a mac (or Linux) should have these installed on their machine already (if they are not already installed with edit software).

Third party encoders to wrap file in prores format can work - but take extra time to encode. IMHO Makes much more sense to use .MXF format if on windows machine for delivery format...and .h264 for offline proxies/ viewing copies etc.

gotcha, does it work within adobe premiere ? I'm looking for something to export my timeline to prores. The downscaling 4k to 10bit feature looks cool though ! looking into this for sure thank you !

I usually just export to uncompressed AVI, then convert the AVI to ProRes. It's a hassle of an extra step, but I only do it when creating a master.

DNxHD or DNxHR are one of the closest Prores equivalent export codecs in windows Adobe Premiere. If you are exporting for broadcast/ for a mac system, these .MXF formats are usually the most compatible. It's an AVID codec so any decent editor set up on a mac (or Linux) should have these installed on their machine already (if they are not already installed with edit software).

Third party encoders to wrap file in prores format can work - but take extra time to encode. IMHO Makes much more sense to use .MXF format if on windows machine for delivery format...and .h264 for offline proxies/ viewing copies etc.

thx ! I wonder if vimeo is compatible with dnxhd ? That would be a god send. I need to preserve as much film grain as possible. H.264 compresses the hell out of it

I usually just export to uncompressed AVI, then convert the AVI to ProRes. It's a hassle of an extra step, but I only do it when creating a master.

hmmm good tip

thx ! I wonder if vimeo is compatible with dnxhd ? That would be a god send. I need to preserve as much film grain as possible. H.264 compresses the hell out of it

hmmm good tip

MXF is not officially supported. There are some reports that it can work but not that great. 

You can use DNxHD with .mov wrapper through premiere that I believe is supported with Vimeo.

Cineform is also as good as prores and there has been some talk of vimeo trying to support it. I am not sure but you can try. 

What I would do is use the smallest sequence that vimeo allows and use different codecs:

1. High bitrate h264 (>40) with a .mp4 wrapper. 

2. Export to uncompress AVI and then use a trancoding tool for prores.

3. DNxHD with .mov (not mxf).

4. Cineform 10bit YUV. See if it is supported. 

1,3,4 can be done in premiere. 

Check to see which one is best for you after uploading, and if 2 is worth the extra time. 

MXF is not officially supported. There are some reports that it can work but not that great. 

You can use DNxHD with .mov wrapper through premiere that I believe is supported with Vimeo.

Cineform is also as good as prores and there has been some talk of vimeo trying to support it. I am not sure but you can try. 

What I would do is use the smallest sequence that vimeo allows and use different codecs:

1. High bitrate h264 (>40) with a .mp4 wrapper. 

2. Export to uncompress AVI and then use a trancoding tool for prores.

3. DNxHD with .mov (not mxf).

4. Cineform 10bit YUV. See if it is supported. 

1,3,4 can be done in premiere. 

Check to see which one is best for you after uploading, and if 2 is worth the extra time. 

i'll try out the cineform, I really REALLY appreciate the tip. I once heard on the net that cineform is about to be the new standard for mastering footage. Something about it being close to how they scan film ? Not sure but I hear its really really good ! Will report back with results

Think you may be confusing Cineform with Cineon format?

Cineform is now owned by GoPro (make of that what you will)

In a nutshell Prores and DNxHD are most common formats for TV broadcast 'masters' (at least for here in the UK) - often they also require a compressed SD MPEG version for compliance.

if you have the storage space, you could use whatever format you want to master in. But since you are on PC - you could export uncompressed .Avi as a master format as aaronchicago mentioned, this is how I used to do it- then spit out any compressed flavour of file from that file using AME. Find the best balance of file size vs quality for uploading or sharing. This may be Cineform, DNxHD whatever...but you will quickly find what works (regarding file size limits for upload).

I can personally recommend 10 or 8bit DNxHD masters for cross platform compatibility (Mac/pc playback) - as well as being compatible for uploading to Vimeo (as also previously stated in .mov wrapper). File sizes can be reduced to impressive amounts for the visual quality of the file. It is fair to say it is one of the closest formats to Prores on a PC...as it is so easy to select different quality settings (that are very similar to the prores presets) and without the ball ache of installing additional codecs if you ever needed the deliverable master file to be sent to a Mac based editor or broadcaster.

I once heard on the net that cineform is about to be the new standard for mastering footage. Something about it being close to how they scan film ? Not sure but I hear its really really good ! 

Could be mixup somewhere but if you heard it had anything to do with a film scan or being a 'standard' for mastering footage...It sounds more like the Cineon format to me:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cineon

The .dpx offshoot format is still fairly commonly used for bringing in film scans, especially for visual effects and restoration work. Then those digital files can be outputted back to film or (more commonly now) kept in the digital realm for post production.

I have many old .dpx Cineon files of 35mm scans - from effects footage taken from the early 2000's. These .dpx files were usually 2k scans open gate - and considered the 'digital negative' or 'Master' (because they contain log data comparable to raw, but from film scan acquisition).

Cineform is now the new standard for GoPro lol.

Could be mixup somewhere but if you heard it had anything to do with a film scan or being a 'standard' for mastering footage...It sounds more like the Cineon format to me:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cineon

The .dpx offshoot format is still fairly commonly used for bringing in film scans, especially for visual effects and restoration work. Then those digital files can be outputted back to film or (more commonly now) kept in the digital realm for post production.

I have many old .dpx Cineon files of 35mm scans - from effects footage taken from the early 2000's. These .dpx files were usually 2k scans open gate - and considered the 'digital negative' or 'Master' (because they contain log data comparable to raw, but from film scan acquisition).

that could be it, seems likely 

Cineform is now the new open standard for video acquisition and post production. Its not restricted by resolution, accepts multiple wrappers and supports 3D and RAW. It is much better supported across platforms (windows specifically) and it offers very efficient compressions.

https://www.smpte.org/news-events/news-releases/gopro®-cineform-codec-standardized-smpte®-vc-5-standard

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CineForm

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/06/gopros-cineform-now-industry-standard-codec

At least in my tests transcoding to cineform gave much better results than prores which has to use a non native algorithm under Windows because of Apples decision not to allow it.

So yeah f*ck prores.

Cineform is now the new open standard for video acquisition and post production. Its not restricted by resolution, accepts multiple wrappers and supports 3D and RAW. It is much better supported across platforms (windows specifically) and it offers very efficient compressions.

https://www.smpte.org/news-events/news-releases/gopro®-cineform-codec-standardized-smpte®-vc-5-standard

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CineForm

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/06/gopros-cineform-now-industry-standard-codec

At least in my tests transcoding to cineform gave much better results than prores which has to use a non native algorithm under Windows because of Apples decision not to allow it.

So yeah f*ck prores.

Damn sounds promising!!

You can export ProRes from Premiere on a Windows PC

http://www.miraizon.com/products/codecsoverview.html

i use this for any jobs or festivals that demand ProRes delivery and it works. It's the only way I know that doesn't involve coding ffmpeg.

no point installing the DNxHD component from it, use Avid's.

when I'm not using it I tend to uninstall it as it sometimes causes import issues for certain Quicktimes. It's good when you're in a bind though.

i never use it unless I have to because of someone else.

You can export ProRes from Premiere on a Windows PC

http://www.miraizon.com/products/codecsoverview.html

i use this for any jobs or festivals that demand ProRes delivery and it works. It's the only way I know that doesn't involve coding ffmpeg.

no point installing the DNxHD component from it, use Avid's.

when I'm not using it I tend to uninstall it as it sometimes causes import issues for certain Quicktimes. It's good when you're in a bind though.

i never use it unless I have to because of someone else.

Unfortunately it looks like you can't buy that product from Miraizon any more as they say that "their sales have now ended"

http://www.miraizon.com/store/store.html