My DJI OSMO fairground shoot, plus a mini-review

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Too bad about the bouncing... did you try the Dexter walk* at all?

Some shots were really effective though, especially when turning and/or tilting. The walking around itself just didn't really work for me.

Which camera unit was attached here? The X3? I don't see any article/mini review up quite yet? Ah, now it's up.

I've played around with the OSMO a fair bit as well. Very fun and simple to use. It's extreme lightness is a double-edges sword - you can shoot forever without getting tired, but it makes the vertical bounce even harder to get rid of. This isn't a new issue, however, as steadicam operators spend years perfecting the technique of eliminating vertical bounce. Good technique and practice will always be necessary.

While it's nice being able to monitor off the phone, the quality of the image is very hard to judge. Insane macro-blocking and other issues arise from streaming real-time 4k video to a smartphone. This issue won't be news to drone users. 

The integrated cell-phone holder is nice, but doesn't work well with bulkier cases. I have a mophie case (built in-battery backup), and I've had the phone slip out of the holder a few times. I have to take my phone out of the case for it to fit snugly in the holder, which is a little worrisome. 

I'm in awe.  The motion is ground breaking,  I actually love the robotic look, and it suites this piece amazingly.   I love how the system handles all of those tricky lights.  Maybe one of the most interesting aesthetics I;ve seen and one that's begging to be used as a pov camera for a robot character like Jonny Five 

I've got the DJI Ronin-M. I'd describe it as a very sexy girlfriend who you have lots of arguments with. 

It's a bit too heavy for long use. Works really well with the A7S II IBIS with 24-70 f4, pretty much eliminates the bounce. Thumb controller is ok. 

Had a BeSteady before (now the ACR Plus). Very nice organic movement (actually better than the Ronin for that), but would regularly act like a dying crab. 

The pistol grip is definitely the way forward, but the market needs to mature first. Bit too early. 

Blackmagic Micro would be a very interesting camera on a pistol grip!

Everyone will have these in a few years - of course it will all come down to creativity. 

The follow settings are not quite optimal and takes some practise to use the gimbal, but other than that I like the video and there is couple of interesting angles and views. The Ferris wheel took me some time to figure what is going on ;).

For sure this is a product that will make people aware of gimbals and hopefully they find also the alternatives, here is a gimbal under development for BMMCC 

vimeo.com/150123373 

(but still waiting for the BMMCC)

Great video Andrew.  You actually incorporated the Osmo bounce and added to the energy of the video.

In other applications though, I really think DJI unnecessarily put effort into trying to smooth out the vertical axis by playing with the pitch.  It creates like a bouncy effect that's not organic making the walking motion looking unnatural.  I always felt walking with 3-axis gimbals looked fine because it gave you a sense of walking.  Without another (4th) axis to stabilize the vertical, it would never look like you were on a slider anyway.  But trying to smooth it out the bumps when you're walking to make it a smoother up and down motion was a bad idea by DJI.  With that said, in the right hands, you have demonstrated you can use anything and make it a plus.

Edit: After a second thought, I think the Osmo bounce may be more prevalent than bounce from a traditional gimbal due to its light weight, not pitch accommodations.  If that was the case, DJI should have put at least 4x the battery to add to the weight.  It would kill 2 large birds with one stone.

Great video Andrew.  You actually incorporated the Osmo bounce and added to the energy of the video.

In other applications though, I really think DJI unnecessarily put effort into trying to smooth out the vertical axis by playing with the pitch.  It creates like a bouncy effect that's not organic making the walking motion looking unnatural.  I always felt walking with 3-axis gimbals looked fine because it gave you a sense of walking.  Without another (4th) axis to stabilize the vertical, it would never look like you were on a slider anyway.  But trying to smooth it out the bumps when you're walking to make it a smoother up and down motion was a bad idea by DJI.  With that said, in the right hands, you have demonstrated you can use anything and make it a plus.

Edit: After a second thought, I think the Osmo bounce may be more prevalent than bounce from a traditional gimbal due to its light weight, not pitch accommodations.  If that was the case, DJI should have put at least 4x the battery to add to the weight.  It would kill 2 large birds with one stone.

Indeed, battery life on the Osmo is terrible. I would have love to get 2+ hours, but usually we are closer to 40 minutes.

the phones we have in our pockets (we geeks have recent phones) are 1/2.6"-1/2.3" f1.8-f2.0 4k cameras with optical stabilization, in such low light should be better than the 1/2.3" f2.8  of the osmo so why don't we just buy a $150 3axis phone stabilizer http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072867-REG/ikan_x3_x3_xtreme_handheld_gimbal.html ?

the phones we have in our pockets (we geeks have recent phones) are 1/2.6"-1/2.3" f1.8-f2.0 4k cameras with optical stabilization, in such low light should be better than the 1/2.3" f2.8  of the osmo so why don't we just buy a $150 3axis phone stabilizer http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072867-REG/ikan_x3_x3_xtreme_handheld_gimbal.html ?

Interesting point.

I shot with the Osmo the other week and it was great fun to play with. The 4k footage was quite good, but I found the 1080 was very average (even the 120fps). I did a few tests with jumping and running - the results were better when you held the trigger down.

Interesting point.

I shot with the Osmo the other week and it was great fun to play with. The 4k footage was quite good, but I found the 1080 was very average (even the 120fps). I did a few tests with jumping and running - the results were better when you held the trigger down.

also as the osmo will be used 99% of the time with a phone attached to frame your shoot, the total footprint osmo+phone is bigger than the footprint phone+ikan x3 gimbal (and for those who don't already have a 4k phone the one-plus-one phone is only $250 with 1/3" f2.0, it should be similar in low light to osmo, total price one-plus-one+ikan x3= $400, cheaper and more versatile as camera software on android evolves fast (we already have a 200mbit/s h264 4k with manual settings free android app))

Hi, I am looking to add stabilisation/gimbal type shots to my family movies, to follow the kids riding bikes and running around etc. Dont want to spend a small fortune so was looking at the DJI Osmo or a  3-axis gimbal (Fei-yu / Ikan) to use with my Iphone 6S, or possibly even a Olympus EM5ii as I have friend selling one at roughly the same price as a Osmo.

What would you learned Ladies and Gentlemen on the forum recommend?

I would but cutting the footage with my GH4

Boxtree.