Questions: 4K mirrorless and gimbal kit...

Borbarad

Hello

Just registered...  So far I've been passive reading in various forums but I think this  best forum to ask or get the final direction.

Now I'm in the market for a 4K camera solution.

There are obvious cameras out there,  but I will most likely settle for the GH4 with VLog. The Sony A7s are also interesting but my biggest concern is the rolling shutter for gimbal work, run and gun etc.......

Anyway. I still haven't 100% decided ...so I'm still open for comments

Now, having a 4K capable mirrorless is the easy part. It's the kit  surrounding such a cam.

As for the recorder I will most likely go for the Atomos Shogun.

Now, I'm still not sure how to rig the whole package.  A Gimbal solution is on top at the shopping list. Basically this bolts down to something like the DJI Ronin M or the Beholder DS1.

The ronin looks great but is big, heavy and maybe a bit of an overkill. The Beholder DS1 is probably more in line with of being compact and fast. However, were I'm really stuck is what about focus (and zoom...). With shoulder or tripod mount and the geared follow focus its easy. But how is it managed when a gimbal is used.... Hardware or technique ?????

So, to summarize the above issues:

1. GH4 or Sony?
2. Atomos Shogun?
3. Gimbal: DJI Ronin or Beholder DS1 or....?
4.  What about focus (and zoom) while on a gimbal?

Hopefully it's not to confusing.....

B

Ps: for the computer: Mac with FCX, Compressor and Color Finale .....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you don't mind to wait, let's see what 2016 brings. Panasonic is bound to bring out the GH5 and Sony something APS-C mirrorless. That could get interesting.

I'd opt for the Video Devices PIX-E5 as recorder/monitor combo personally. For me 5" would be perfect. Just a suggestion worth looking at I'd say.

There's the Ronin-M which is a tad bit smaller/lighter as a set-up. There are a lot of gimbal stabilizers nowadays, make sure to check the YouTube channels of Emm/Cheesycam, Erik Naso, Dave Dugdale and Tom Antos, they review quite a few of these.

Wide angle lens, somewhat deep depth of field, fixed pre-focus or get some fancy adapter/follow focus with wirelessly controlled motorized focus. Only the NX1 and some Canons can really be trusted with decent autofocus.

Thanks for the answers,

Well, the issue is that timewise the kit needs to be there by beginning of Mar16 ( and I need to get used to it as well ;-) ). The Lx100 is nice. I've used it (Leica Version)but as far as I understand there is no HDMI Live feed and on the software side it's quite less than the GH4.

For the Ronin M the is also Follow Focus , i.e. from IKAN: PD Movie http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=1136

B