A7s > Inogeni > Microsoft Surface

Jimmy

Can anyone more technically minded work out if it is possible to use the 4K HMDI out of the Sony A7s, via this into a Microsoft surface, to record 4K files?

I know it is a bit of a pain, but $300 or so (off ebay)... might be a good way to get the occasional 4K lowlight shot, rather than upgrading to the new model.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can anyone more technically minded work out if it is possible to use the 4K HMDI out of the Sony A7s, via this into a Microsoft surface, to record 4K files?

I know it is a bit of a pain, but $300 or so (off ebay)... might be a good way to get the occasional 4K lowlight shot, rather than upgrading to the new model.

You probably can but you are going to be limited to 4:2:0 8bit.

It was mentioned before here:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/8211-sony-a7s-diy-4k-recorder/ 

I would save the money towards either a A7sii or a PIX-E5H. 

Isn't the A7S II 4:2:0 though (internal)?

PIX-E5H looks cool, but a decent price that could go towards whatever main camera I buy in 2016 (Probably RED or Ursa Mini).

The above seemed a cheap little solution for the few times I need ultra low light 4K (eg, shooting realtime auroras).

Still hoping Atomos bring out a 4K ninja star... Would be perfect!

Isn't the A7S II 4:2:0 though (internal)?

PIX-E5H looks cool, but a decent price that could go towards whatever main camera I buy in 2016 (Probably RED or Ursa Mini).

The above seemed a cheap little solution for the few times I need ultra low light 4K (eg, shooting realtime auroras).

Yes 4:2:0 but  at least then you have a small package with IBIS ans sgammut3.cine. The problem with the converter is that you only going to use it with A7s. As soon as you upgrade its useless, whereas the PIX-E5H can be something that you will use it with many cameras. Though if you are going with RED or Ursa Mini maybe its not a good option. 

I haven't seen anything lower than $400 but if you buy it from a big retailer you can try it and return it if you are not satisfied. 

Still hoping Atomos bring out a 4K ninja star... Would be perfect!

Amen brother. 

They should at least make one, even if it is in that F5 price bracket. Too niche maybe.... But it seems like the A7s is hugely popular.... With 10bit, NDs, HFR etc, it would surely sell well enough to justify.

Just seems odd that no one (especially Sony) have released a FF, low light video camera.