A7rii and A7sii gets longer 4k recording with firmware

BrorSvensson

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Anyone have any idea what that actually means? Is it now possible to record over 30 mins?

Also what does "improves picture quality" mean?

I can't really imagine because the limitation to 30min is actually due to import tax laws in the European Union (photography camera vs. video camera taxes).

From Sony, more improvements on the two biggest complaints about the RII outside of the price, though there are a number of complaints about the 24-70 front focusing on Dpreview:

File Description
This utility updates the ILCE-7RM2 system software to version 3.00, and provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version 2.00:
Improves 4K movie recording time when using the vertical grip (VG-C2EM) or when the APS-C/Super35mm mode is activated
Improves picture quality

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 3.00:
Adds the selectable feature for uncompressed 14-Bit RAW image capture
Adds support to output video via HDMI during use of the Remote Camera Control software (still mode only)
Reduces the chance of the camera changing to front focus when shooting certain scenes.
Note: This symptom rarely occurs.
Decreases chroma noise when Long Exposure NR (Noise Reduction) is set to Off.
Note: The noise does not occur when Long Exposure NR is set to On.
Improves continuous shooting at Hi speed so that it can be used just as long when using the flash as without the flash

Thanks for the heads up!  I expect since the battery grip could very likely be firmware controlled and set up to feed the camera with moderately more voltage, the sensor could be made to run cooler due to lower current/resistance.  lower running heat translates to even lower noise levels!

Irritatingly the birdcage i just grabbed won't permit use of my battery grip and I was about to sell the grip.  I might end up chopping the grip up and routing the wires to a satellite dual battery pack to benefit from this update!

richg101 - Why not just run a dummy battery? I saw one somewhere that could connect to the larger portable charger batteries, but a quick search isn't turning up anything at the moment. Maybe it was on ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/Indipro-Universal-Power-Pod-System/dp/B0156XQ2N4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450455864&sr=8-1&keywords=a7rII+dummy+battery

I change batteries frequently to prevent overheating as they generate a lot of heat. I'll be getting one of these soon to remove the heat source from the body.

I have a feeling they may be doing something clever with the dual batteries - with the amount of pins on the grip I highly suspect that as well as the protocol to send data about when a button is pressed etc, as well as the battery charge status, and the intelligent 'use the lowest charged battery first system'.  Firmware could be written to take feed from different pins to get more voltage to the voltage regulator, then tell the regulator to send a little more voltage than normal.  they could use 3 cells instead of the usual two, alternating between them in order to make sure no one cell gets discharged more than the other 3.

Either the firmware is doing something like this or is literally putting a slower timer on the overheat warning -pushing things a little further than they should and letting things let a bit warmer.  If it is a clever higher voltage system then the camera will need to detect a authentic grip with a pair of batteries in there   

That's actually great work by Sony, surprised it was even possible. It really does narrow the gap between the A7SII and the A7RII though. Video wise, the A7SII has better ISO performance and SLOG 3, the A7RII has two 4k modes and better auto focus.

true,  but I'd go on step further and say that 25600 on the a7rii in s35mm mode and a speed booster will actually outdo the a7sii at 25600 with the same lens in terms of overall image quality since for the same exposure the said lens could be closed down by one stop (to gain an optical advantage) or the a7sii would need to be set to 51000iso to match the exposure- I find with my a7s that 25600 is generally the top level I'd wanna go for good images.  I can't think of an instance where 25600 wasn;t enough. generally 12000-16000 is the peak I;ve ever had to go.    

He is at 2.5 hours without overheating. I guess we should never speak of it again. I can say I did not expect this. Good job Sony. Seams to me companies have started listening more and more these days. 

And he's not using the grip, wow. The battery is one of the main culprits, they get hot when you get close to the 29:50 time limit. I'm going to do some testing outside when it warms up, it's a frigid 55f in Florida right now. Will be back in the 80's early in the week though. This is really great to see. 

You gotta love this quote from the A7SII firmware page:

·         Improves 4K movie recording time when using the vertical grip (VG-C2EM) or when the APS-C/Super35mm mode is activated

Unfortunately, the A7SII is incapable of shooting 4k in APS-C/Super35mm mode.  So much for copy/paste.

So what exactly does this firmware upgrade do on the A7SII, besides possibly increasing 4k FF recording time when using the vertical grip?

wow.  2.5hrs!  I do hope they haven't just disabled the protection shut off!!!  TBH I've never seen the overheating icon on my a7rii, but it's nice to see the camera will keep going if required.  

Please try the test with a working sensor , i mean focus , stabilisation, and other things working like in real shooting conditions. Thank You !

You gotta love this quote from the A7SII firmware page:

·         Improves 4K movie recording time when using the vertical grip (VG-C2EM) or when the APS-C/Super35mm mode is activated

Unfortunately, the A7SII is incapable of shooting 4k in APS-C/Super35mm mode.  So much for copy/paste.

So what exactly does this firmware upgrade do on the A7SII, besides possibly increasing 4k FF recording time when using the vertical grip?

Guessing just adds whatever coding magic to dissipate heat on the 7RII to the 7SII.