Scarlet MX/Dragon advice

Jimmy

I've been weighing up getting a Raven, but it has a few short comings that might make me regret it, down the line... Since the Scarlet W was announced, which is still a bit much for my wallet, I have been keeping an eye out on used Scarlet deals and it is an interesting market.... Full MX kits for $6k or so and I just saw a full Scarlet Dragon kit for $11k!

I've used Red One MX a fair bit and find it a good, but bulky camera... Does anyone have experience with Scarlet, especially Dragon? How has customer service and repairs been for anyone here in Europe? That is my main concern... With a canon or sony, I know I can get it to a service center, without worries.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My line of video work just doesn't justify that kind of outlay... Upfront or credit. $5k-$10k is the kind of investment I want to make on my next purchase and I want to get it right, something that will last a long, long time. Scarlet Dragon checks alot of boxes.

My line of video work just doesn't justify that kind of outlay... Upfront or credit. $5k-$10k is the kind of investment I want to make on my next purchase and I want to get it right, something that will last a long, long time. Scarlet Dragon checks alot of boxes.

I wasn't suggesting not to get a Scarlet. Just a way to manage that extra 5K if you didn't have it up front. I agree Scarlet would be a good long term solution therefore 2 years of no interest payment would make sense.

Nothing "will last a long, long time". Is a fact of life that things depreciate, depreciating especially *FAST* in the case of tech products. Doubly extra fast in the case of high end tech products. (such as all the cinema cameras we're talking about here)

No point fighting this. Instead I personally choose to embrace this and leverage it work to my advantage!! ;-) Picked up a Sony PMW-F3 earlier this year which has been hit one of the hardest by depreciation of all cameras (got mine for a mere US$1.2K!). 

As long as the fan noise is acceptable it is a very nice camera ... not small and definitely going to necessitate a lot of add ons but 

They're NOISY! But the fan spins down once you start recording. 

Disagree, to an extent.. I'm not talking about the value lasting a long, long time, but about having image quality that has very little compromises and will stand the test of time.

Unless you want crazy ISO or HFR, The image from a Scarlet Dragon should hold up for many years, on pretty much any screen or device that displays 2D video content.

I've been here with music production and still imagery... We are hitting the point of diminishing returns, where the gap between top and mid range is getting minimal.

Disagree, to an extent.. I'm not talking about the value lasting a long, long time, but about having image quality that has very little compromises and will stand the test of time.

You could argue the same is true of the RED One MX, or the Sony F3, or BMPCC, or some would say even the old GH2. 

So I'm not so sure that is a solidly strong argument on its own to buy the RED Scarlet Dragon when it is so very expensive.

MX, yes, to an extent, 4K, raw and pretty good DR.. If I could deal with the size, it would be an interesting prospect, though the low light is not great... the rest, not really. Compromises with them all, in terms of longevity.

Where do you really see technology going that is going to make 5K/60fps/14+ stops DR/ 2000ISO / raw redundant? Maybe global shutter? NDs and a nicer OLPF solution would be cool, but not essential....  It really is film replacement, unlike the last 3 you mentioned.

I make most of my money with landscapes... 1080p is not good enough to hope that it will be relevant in 5+ years.

Although I use Panny cameras almost exclusively, I've been watching the FS700 for a while on eBay now...if not too heavy for you, and you're primarily dealing with landscapes, I think you can deal with the reputed skin tone issue...in fact I'm not even sure that skin tones is an issue on the 700...priced from slightly below $2000, to $4000 almost new...I'm thinking in the near future of getting one...perhaps it will work for you too...

MX, yes, to an extent, 4K, raw and pretty good DR.. If I could deal with the size, it would be an interesting prospect, though the low light is not great... the rest, not really. Compromises with them all, in terms of longevity.

Where do you really see technology going that is going to make 5K/60fps/14+ stops DR/ 2000ISO / raw redundant? Maybe global shutter? NDs and a nicer OLPF solution would be cool, but not essential....  It really is film replacement, unlike the last 3 you mentioned.

I make most of my money with landscapes... 1080p is not good enough to hope that it will be relevant in 5+ years.

I had fs700 and Odyssey 7q... It was great in every way... Except colour... Even with raw, it just didn't quite cut it for my tastes... But that is a stylstic choice.... I'd definitely recommend trying one... I can send you some dngs if you would like to test

I had fs700 and Odyssey 7q... It was great in every way... Except colour... Even with raw, it just didn't quite cut it for my tastes... But that is a stylstic choice.... I'd definitely recommend trying one... I can send you some dngs if you would like to test

I have the same issue… The camera is awesome, 4K Pro Res, 120 Bursts at 4k, etc, but the colors are just bad. I'm not sure if it is a stylistic choice… There's no way to argue that the Sony has comparable color to a lot of other choices. 

The Canon C100MKII can put out a better image for the web...

Edit: If you weren't shooting too many interviews, the FS700 with 7Q is probably a pretty good solution. You can use film looks to get a nice image, but it is just difficult to get that nice, balanced Canon look. Skin tone in mixed/bad lighting is particularly bad. 

I seeing more scarlet mx on the market for under $8K USD for a complete kit. Is it still even worth getting one at this point, with all the other options in the market?

Other than for the RED "brand name"? In my view... nope, it is not.
And even the "RED brand name" is not going to be worth much at all to many clients if they're even just semi-educated on this, due to it being the older MX sensor and only the lower end scarlet body.