Weird thing in A7S II

Alex Moreán

Hi guys!

I just got an A7sII (I come from a NIkon D5300 so it's a big change) and I'm noticing something odd.

This camera is, indeed, a lowlight monster, but whenever I crank up the ISO a get a very noisy image in the LCD preview... And then I press REC button, and all the noise is gone.

Is this a normal thing?

Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Are you shooting in a stills mode or in movie mode?

Stills mode live view has a battery conserving lower quality which does a pixel binning on the sensor to give a 'rough' image.

When the camera is recording video it does a full pixel readout of the sensor instead (4K) and scales that to the small LCD, which is what reduces the noise.

Same reason why pixel binned 4K on the A7R II is noisier than the full pixel readout Super 35mm crop mode.

It was in stills mode indeed, thanks for taking the time to explain that, very interesting!

Anyway, is there any other disadvantage in shooting video from stills mode? since I read that post from a while where you said that it was actually a better idea to do so in the A7s... Does it still stand like that?

Cheers.

Are you shooting in a stills mode or in movie mode?

Stills mode live view has a battery conserving lower quality which does a pixel binning on the sensor to give a 'rough' image.

When the camera is recording video it does a full pixel readout of the sensor instead (4K) and scales that to the small LCD, which is what reduces the noise.

Same reason why pixel binned 4K on the A7R II is noisier than the full pixel readout Super 35mm crop mode.

I've noticed that while in Stills mode, the exposure is not accurately represented in the EVF or the LCD until the video recording is initiated.

However, in Movie mode, the exposure is correctly represented the entire time -- before and during recording.

Is there a setting to make Stills mode behave like Movie mode in this regard?